Time zones in America

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Jamiet99uk

Time zones in America

#1 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm

To someone from a small country like the UK the fact that the USA is so large it spans several time zones is interesting, but it can also be a little confusing.

So for my Western European friends I made this handy guide:

Hawaii: GMT -10 hrs
Alaska: GMT -8 hrs
California: GMT -7 hrs
Chicago: GMT -5 hrs
Alabama, Georgia: GMT -150 years 5hrs
Washington, New York: GMT -4 hrs

Hope this is useful!

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Time zones in America

#2 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm
To someone from a small country like the UK the fact that the USA is so large it spans several time zones is interesting, but it can also be a little confusing.

Hope this is useful!
Oh, this this some dopey satire about the new abortion laws? Our laws have, until the last week and only in a few locales, been far more lax then any in Europe (outside of maybe the Netherlands, but I'd need to remind myself to be sure). The stories you read in the Guardian about 'so many US counties have no abortion providers ZOMG!!!!!!' is idiotic. Why does a county in eastern Montana the size of Wales need one with 800 people in it? It makes no business sense. There are two reasons why abortion is such a huge issue here and not in the UK: 1. religion. Duh. Of course, don't fall of your high horse too far, as NI has far stronger restrictions than anywhere here, and for the same reason... 2. Our abortion laws are so lax that they are on par with NK and China. That isn't company most want to be in. If our laws were similar to yours insofar as abortion was really only available during the first trimester, it'd be less of an issue.

Jamiet99uk

#3 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 16, 2019 8:56 pm

It's my understanding that in Alabama abortion is now banned in all circumstances, even in cases of rape or incest. If so, that's medieval, and genuinely evil. Am I wrong?

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 pm

From what I understand, despite many valid criticisms of its government, it is the case that in North Korea,.abortion is readily available and accessible to women if they require it. Apparently this is one area where North Korea is setting a fine example.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:56 pm
It's my understanding that in Alabama abortion is now banned in all circumstances, even in cases of rape or incest. If so, that's medieval, and genuinely evil. Am I wrong?
The US does not function as the UK does. When a locality passes a controversial law here, it will have to go through the courts (many, many fucking courts). This law will never stand. If by some miracle it does, then abortion will still be legal for the life and health of the mother. Similar to a locality in your own country.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 pm
From what I understand, despite many valid criticisms of its government, it is the case that in North Korea,.abortion is readily available and accessible to women if they require it. Apparently this is one area where North Korea is setting a fine example.
Yes, throughout all 3 trimesters. Just like China, and the US. I recognize that you're just a low effort troll, but I'm indulging you just to remind all other possible readers that the US, despite our reputation, actually has more law abortion laws than all in Europe, which is unbelievable but true.

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 16, 2019 9:29 pm

I'm not sure I understand.

Has the abortion law changed in Georgia and Alabama, as is being reported across the world? Or.... not, as NWFS asserts?

Jamiet99uk

#8 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 16, 2019 9:29 pm

I'm not trolling at all, btw.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:29 pm

Has the abortion law changed in Georgia and Alabama, as is being reported across the world? Or.... not, as NWFS asserts?
Here it is, from a site you might actually like. Leftist af. American politics NEVER is simple, or easy. https://www.vox.com/2019/5/16/18626744/ ... states-roe

Carl Tuckerson

#10 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:56 pm
If so, that's medieval, and genuinely evil. Am I wrong?
Yes

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#11 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 pm

When bills pass, they have to go through the courts if one side sues. This process can take many years, and quite oftentimes bills that are popular and voted for overwhelmingly still get overturned. America is a place where laws have an incredibly difficult time getting on the books when controversial. Unlike in the UK, where if Jeremy Corbyn where to be elected PM and he could pass whatever he likes, that isn't how it goes here. Laws are even harder to get rid of when passed and the courts have given their ok. Our system is the definition of gridlock.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#12 Post by flash2015 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:58 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:

Yes, but these laws will be immediately blocked by the courts. The goal, of course, is to reverse Roe vs. Wade. The Republicans are hoping that one of the laws will get to the Supreme court who they hope, with the votes of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, they may have success with Roberts being a potentially wild card due to his perchance for trying to not set big precedents. Of course, if they don't succeed now they will likely succeed if Trump gets re-elected as I can't see RGB being a useful member of the court for another six years.

If they do succeed though, I am not sure it will be good politically for them longer term. Once this wedge issue is off the books there will be much less reason for evangelicals to vote for Republicans "en masse" as they do now.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#13 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:58 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

Yes, but these laws will be immediately blocked by the courts. The goal, of course, is to reverse Roe vs. Wade. The Republicans are hoping that one of the laws will get to the Supreme court who they hope, with the votes of Gorsuch and Kavanaugh, they may have success with Roberts being a potentially wild card due to his perchance for trying to not set big precedents. Of course, if they don't succeed now they will likely succeed if Trump gets re-elected as I can't see RGB being a useful member of the court for another six years.

If they do succeed though, I am not sure it will be good politically for them longer term. Once this wedge issue is off the books there will be much less reason for evangelicals to vote for Republicans "en masse" as they do now.
I don't think we should assume the votes of anyone but Alito and Thomas on this matter. People mistakenly did that for Kennedy, Souter, and O'Connor back in the day, and that didn't pan out. At all. I'd say you are especially correct about Roberts.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#14 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm

New England Fire Squad wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:02 pm
flash2015 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:58 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:

I don't think we should assume the votes of anyone but Alito and Thomas on this matter. People mistakenly did that for Kennedy, Souter, and O'Connor back in the day, and that didn't pan out. At all. I'd say you are especially correct about Roberts.
Your second paragraph about it being bad for Republicans if abortion is actually overturned is prescient. It's an issue that has been consistently winning them elections since the 70's - it's the biggest reason the South swung to the right, and white Catholics voting 60%+ Republican happened after Roe too. I've been of the mind for a long time that GOP leaders don't actually want to overturn it- not only do they then lose one of their biggest issues, they lose their most loyal footsoldiers, volunteers, and voters. Mormons, Evangelicals, conservative Catholics, conservative mainline Protestants - many of them were formerly Democrats until Roe. My mother and most of her friends would probably stop voting Republican if the Democrats were the 'pro-life' party. Of course, they could still use the issue to great effect if Democrats then went full crazy on re-legalizing it in all 3 trimesters...

Octavious

#15 Post by Octavious » Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 pm

Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 pm
Unlike in the UK, where if Jeremy Corbyn where to be elected PM and he could pass whatever he likes, that isn't how it goes here.
Someone should mention how easy it is for a Prime Minister to pass whatever they like to Mrs May...

Jamiet99uk

#17 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 pm

Yeah the Northern Ireland situation is awful. I agree totally.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#18 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 pm
Thu May 16, 2019 9:39 pm
Unlike in the UK, where if Jeremy Corbyn where to be elected PM and he could pass whatever he likes, that isn't how it goes here.
Someone should mention how easy it is for a Prime Minister to pass whatever they like to Mrs May...
I get what you're saying but: doesn't she rule with only a minority dependent on the DUP? My understanding of British politics is that with a majority government, the majority can essentially pass what they like - if it doesn't pan out, it often topples the government, leading to new elections or a new pm with different priorities (Thatcher). It is rare that legislation fails without it resulting in a new situation where the legislation can either pass or is tabled entirely. And that the courts do not typically hold up legislation indefinitely as over here, which is an entirely different dynamic. Here the courts are just as important as the legislature and president/governor, and possibly even more so.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#19 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 pm
Yeah the Northern Ireland situation is awful. I agree totally.
So maybe complain about your country rather than ragging on mine?

Carl Tuckerson

#20 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Thu May 16, 2019 11:25 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm

Hope this is useful!
Too busy memeing epically to even include my Mountain Time Zone :'(