Welcome to Feedback and Bug Reports!

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to Feedback and Bug Reports!

#1 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:46 pm

Welcome to our feedback and bug reports subforum!

This subforum is a place for you and all users to provide feedback about your experience on webDiplomacy. Your feedback is critical for us in determining the future direction of webDiplomacy, so if you have an idea, please make a thread! We are happy to discuss the merits and feasibility of your ideas, and the more users weigh in, the more momentum an idea can gain.

If you believe you have found a bug, please make a thread and report it! Please include as much detail as you can and let us know if you have been able to replicate the problem since it was first encountered.

Unfortunately, our development team is quite overworked and busy pretty much all the time, so some bugs may already be known. We will have a list of some commonly encountered bugs available in the near future.

As always, please remember to be courteous and follow the forum rules, and enjoy the site!

bo_sox48
webDiplomacy Administrator

FriendBoy

Re: Welcome to Feedback and Bug Reports!

#2 Post by FriendBoy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Not sure where to post this...but thought I might as well post here.

I'm in a game ("It works"), that was paused by a mod, for investigating cheating. It's now been over a week... should I just be patient?? Or what?

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:40 pm

It's best to email us at [email protected] to make sure we're still on top of it. Cheating investigations typically take several days as we wait for replies to our emails.

Senlac

#4 Post by Senlac » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm

A suggestion on retreats.

If a unit has no possible retreat, currently the player has to select “disband” then “save” (& either wait for the timer or press “ready”) to progress.
I’ve recently experienced a game with two players having no possible retreats, enter their disband orders, then at least one not hitting ready means the phase period timer allows progress (while there were no other retreats).

Why not just automate the disband when there is no possible retreat (not requiring any player input) & if appropriate allow the game to proceed immediately?

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:24 pm

Senlac wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:05 pm
A suggestion on retreats.

If a unit has no possible retreat, currently the player has to select “disband” then “save” (& either wait for the timer or press “ready”) to progress.
I’ve recently experienced a game with two players having no possible retreats, enter their disband orders, then at least one not hitting ready means the phase period timer allows progress (while there were no other retreats).

Why not just automate the disband when there is no possible retreat (not requiring any player input) & if appropriate allow the game to proceed immediately?
While obvious to us humans, the way our coding works this is currently not something we can set up. The string of code that checks for possible retreats is not linked to the code that does the other thing. I'm no programmer, so this is the best I can explain it.

Puddle

#6 Post by Puddle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:41 pm

It seems like it may not be that difficult to code (in terms of the logic, I'm not speaking to the actual code running the site). The main issue I see is that it would probably require a fairly significant change to whatever code generates the order boxes for a player.

This would require that instead of generating retreat/disband boxes for all owned units that have been dislodged, it has to first check for any units with no retreat options, automate the input of a disband order (I'm assuming the order adjudication requires a pseudo-order input regardless), and not generate boxes for that user for any owned units that have been dislodged but are auto-ordered to disband.

The change to the phase end timer (or whatever) would probably have to be a completely separate addition that now checks if (1) any units have been dislodged, (2) whether any dislodged units have no valid retreat options, (3) if any units do have valid retreat options, (4) if (3) = FALSE, then receive auto-generated disband orders, (5) if (3) = TRUE and (2) = TRUE, then receive auto-generated disband orders and wait for 'Ready's or timer runout and combine the auto-generated disband orders with the user input retreat orders to process each country's orders.

While I share your frustration with the circumstance, I'd imagine that touching those areas of code are not high priorities vis-a-vis the site modernization effort and the potential for the changes to break something vital.

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Puddle wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:41 pm
It seems like it may not be that difficult to code (in terms of the logic, I'm not speaking to the actual code running the site). The main issue I see is that it would probably require a fairly significant change to whatever code generates the order boxes for a player.
I have been assured you're very wrong by those who know the site's code. It would require a complete revamp and that's indeed not scheduled right now.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#8 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 am

It’s a change we will eventually take a look at but not something on the todo for the near future

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#9 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 pm

I'm unimpressed with the RR punishment for missing orders to get out of a game, given that there is no option to leave a game other than missing two sets of orders/emailing Mods.
If you wanted to find a way to totally discourage me from playing here for a year, then I think you've succeeded marvellously.

Senlac

#10 Post by Senlac » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:51 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:24 pm
I'm unimpressed with the RR punishment for missing orders to get out of a game, given that there is no option to leave a game other than missing two sets of orders/emailing Mods.
If you wanted to find a way to totally discourage me from playing here for a year, then I think you've succeeded marvellously.
53%! Wow, the boys in the Regimental mess will be unimpressed with that Major 🤣

taylor4

#11 Post by taylor4 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Anomaly in Bot gameID=274481 ("slaphap") FRA/AUS:
Autumn 1907
France (bot):
A SIL - WAR (fail)
A PRU support hold SIL (fail) !
Should only happen in a human to human game ?

Lezz

#12 Post by Lezz » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:40 pm

Is there any way to rename a game? If not, is there any way to delete a game? I'm the creator of the game.

jmo1121109

#13 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:24 am

Have everyone leave the game if it hasn't started yet. If it has, have everyone vote to cancel.

GouRmetAnaL

#14 Post by GouRmetAnaL » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:44 am

Only took me one game to figure out why this game sucks on computer. Cheaters and terrible interface. Plus just forgot how simplistic this game is.
Oh well Republic of Rome was always a lot more fun

jmo1121109

#15 Post by jmo1121109 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:41 am

If you think there was cheating in your game please email us at [email protected], and if you have feedback on the interface please include that too.

Thanks,
WebDip Dev

Vaporwave

#16 Post by Vaporwave » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:56 pm

can't delete anything from inbox, it says invalid form, does it happen to everyone?

kgray
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#17 Post by kgray » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:08 pm

Vaporwave wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:56 pm
can't delete anything from inbox, it says invalid form, does it happen to everyone?
You should be able to delete a message from inside the actual PM, but yes, the mark/delete feature in the inbox is not currently working.

Bladerunners

#18 Post by Bladerunners » Tue May 25, 2021 4:01 am

Suggest developers not program Italy to attack Austria in every opening in bot games. It’s not realistic for this to happen in such a huge degree ...

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#19 Post by gimix » Tue May 25, 2021 1:30 pm

Bots are not programmed to attack Austria as Italy, nor to follow any other specific strategy.
They are neural networks which were trained feeding them many hundreds of real games, and their behaviour is what they extracted as "optimal" from that training.

Bladerunners

#20 Post by Bladerunners » Wed May 26, 2021 12:46 am

Respectfully, I'm having a hard time believing that. I've played diplomacy for many years on this site and other formats... there is no way the bots are learning from this site's Italy game play IMO. I just tried 13 games in a row as Austria.. and Italy attacked Austria 13 times straight. There is no way that happens on this site :-)