Welcome to the new forum!

Site announcements from the moderator team go here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

grumbledook

Re: Welcome to the new forum!

#21 Post by grumbledook » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 pm

Yay!

Thanks to everyone who worked on this.

brainbomb

#22 Post by brainbomb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:35 pm

Bork

MajorMitchell
Location: As directed by The Fire Breathing MemSahib, Her Imperiousness Indoors lying on a sofa eating​ cakes

#23 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:24 am

I like the little feature that shows who made the last post on each thread. By scattering posts a chap can create an illusion of forum superiority.

Hamilton Brian

#24 Post by Hamilton Brian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for this. This forum is such an improvement. Ya'll done good!

Tom Bombadil

#25 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:57 pm
Thanks for this. This forum is such an improvement. Ya'll done good!
^Agreed

dr. octagonapus
Location: Second star to the right, then straight on till morning (GMT}

#26 Post by dr. octagonapus » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Wow I'm loving the who's online touch
Also colour coding accounts far superior to the little icons

Hamilton Brian

#27 Post by Hamilton Brian » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:37 pm

I quickly read the introduction but don't recall seeing "ideas/suggestions" mentioned. Where would that best fit?

What would it take to create a searchable database of members played against? For instance, recently got into a game with someone and they mentioned having played against me, and I couldn't recall the game. It'd be a cool feature to run a search function and see those games come up.

Condescension

#28 Post by Condescension » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm

I really liked the left-hand sidebar of the most active threads, it made the forum more free-flowing. Reimplementing it would be cool.

Durga

#29 Post by Durga » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm

You mean the part where the entire left hand sidebar was mafia?

jmo1121109
Developer
Developer

#30 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 pm

Condescension wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm
I really liked the left-hand sidebar of the most active threads, it made the forum more free-flowing. Reimplementing it would be cool.
Doesn't the home page still do that?

ghug

#31 Post by ghug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:23 pm

It does most recent posts, which is slightly different.

Condescension

#32 Post by Condescension » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 am

It's not visible when you're actually on the forum, which is when you most want to flip quickly between topics.

I think this forum has a really outdated design philosophy, these kinds of forums were popular in the mid-2000's. An enormous amount of screen real estate and attention are devoted to formatting options only power users will ever use and the navigation options require page loads in order to search for more content. Basically, this forum is trying to be Wordpress when it should be WhatsApp. Screen real estate should be devoted to navigation options over blog-style formatting. The old forum had a much more modern style design even though it looked a lot less flashy.

I hate to be so critical when this clearly took a shitload of work, but there's a reason these went out of fashion.

Condescension

#33 Post by Condescension » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:04 am

Here's the new user experience:

I want to find a new thread. I need to click Board Index and wait for a page load. If I'm not interested in any of the top posts in each topic, I need to decide which topic I'd like. Another page load to see what's in them. Maybe I have to open 4 or 5 tabs if I'm not sure what topic I'd like. I find a post, I need another page load to see what's in it. Another page load for each page I read. I want to make a post, I need a page load to draft the message (and need to scroll down to see what I'm replying to). Then I page load after I submit it. If I'm on a fast connection, this is annoying. If I'm on a slow one it's fucking excruciating.

This is way, way more hassle than the previous system and I think most users will agree with me once they have used it for a few hours. If you keep tabs on forum activity I guarantee it will be lower than it was before the change. I would rather scroll past two games of mafia and one political thread than have to load a billion pages in order to access content.

brainbomb

#34 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:46 am

Most of us have migrated to.the more accessible more user friendly discord channel. The forum was omce the beating heart of this community. Now were just a back channel for people who like a forum. Im not wild enough about just fotums to take time out of my day to hunt for whats relevant on here. And so far theres been really no interesting threads other than mine about foot fungus

Condescension

#35 Post by Condescension » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:34 am

What's the discord?

brainbomb

#36 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:47 am

leon1122

#37 Post by leon1122 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:43 am

Condescension wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 am
It's not visible when you're actually on the forum, which is when you most want to flip quickly between topics.

I think this forum has a really outdated design philosophy, these kinds of forums were popular in the mid-2000's. An enormous amount of screen real estate and attention are devoted to formatting options only power users will ever use and the navigation options require page loads in order to search for more content. Basically, this forum is trying to be Wordpress when it should be WhatsApp. Screen real estate should be devoted to navigation options over blog-style formatting. The old forum had a much more modern style design even though it looked a lot less flashy.

I hate to be so critical when this clearly took a shitload of work, but there's a reason these went out of fashion.
I agree with Condescension here. I prefer the old forums, since I look at all the threads anyways regardless of topic. This just makes it more of a hassle.

JEccles

#38 Post by JEccles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Maybe I'm just inept, but is there no option to mute forum conversations? I tend to mute all topics that have been started that I'm not interested in so they don't fill up space on my home screen, but I'm not finding an option to do that on the new forum.

chluke

#39 Post by chluke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 pm

How do the new forum "bookmark topic" and "subscribe topic" work?

I'm trying to figure out how to best see what I want on the WebDip home page, or at least on the Board Index, now that the mute thread option is gone (I used to kill all threads that were not of interest to me that way, for a clean home page view of thread summaries of interest to me).

I do like the Quick link for "your posts", where I can see all threads that I've participated in, in one spot. (Sort of an opposite of a mute thread option for me. But then I would have to post in every thread I want to follow in that way, and sometimes I just want to follow a thread without posting.)

Tom Bombadil

#40 Post by Tom Bombadil » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:22 pm

I'll add to the questions:

Is there a way to make is so when you click on the forum thread title (like from the webdip home page) that it takes you to the most recent replies. Right now it takes me to the first posts in the thread, and I have to click to the last page from there. Its a very minor annoyance - just wondering if there is a way around this I am missing.