Government Shutdown

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

Government Shutdown

#1 Post by TrPrado » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 am

Over/under for how long this will last: February 1

Kingdroid

Re: Government Shutdown

#2 Post by Kingdroid » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:31 pm

Hard to say. The dems have literally no reason to give any funding for the wall. They don't gain by compromising on this bc the gop has squandered any semblance of good will reciprocation over the last ten years. And giving trump any victory would just be stupid. So, my guess is the gop gives in in a few weeks as soon as they see trumps approval ratings drop a significant amount from thjs

principians

#3 Post by principians » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:28 am

The only thing I dont understand is: why is Trump asking the congress mony for the wall, wasnt it supposed to be paid by México?

Randomizer

#4 Post by Randomizer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 am

I see Trump folding as complaints rise about essential services being shutdown with government workers not showing up over no paychecks. TSA is already losing workers that can't pay for child care and need cash now for bills.

It doesn't help that Trump and his cronies are getting paid and will get raises after he blocked raises for non-military government workers.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#5 Post by TrPrado » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 am

Who all will be watching the address and rebuttal tonight?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by orathaic » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:06 pm

I like that TSA workers aren't being paid, so everyone who flies should be happy at having a less invasive journey, meanwhile less security on the airports seems counter intuitive to what Trump claims he wants.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#7 Post by TrPrado » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:04 am

Trump walked out of the meeting with Congressional leaders, so it looks like we'll be breaking the record for longest shutdown (21 days), folks!

Randomizer

#8 Post by Randomizer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Trump has no incentive to reopen the government when it includes the IRS investigating his father's tax evasion. Even though he can't get hit with criminal penalties, Trump could face millions of dollars in civil penalties and payments.

Of course if Trump did it in recent years that are from his audit before he became president ….

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by flash2015 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:08 pm

I don't see how this ends. In politics/diplomacy, you don't go to DEFCON 1 as the first step in negotiation. And Trump has set this crisis up in such a way that neither side can give in and still "save face". That isn't how you get things done! I think that Pelosi was right when she said that Trump doesn't really want a wall, he just wants a debate about it.

Democrats certainly can't give in (Pelosi should finally be gone if she does) because it will further cement to Republicans that they never need to negotiate...absolutely guaranteeing a bigger crisis in the near future.

Unfortunately, this shutdown may have to last a long time to ensure that Trump will thing twice before going down this route in the future.

Randomizer

#10 Post by Randomizer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Maybe someone should loan Trump a copy of "The Art of the Deal" so he can see how it's done. I know he and the ghost writer that actually wrote it have parted ways.

JECE

#11 Post by JECE » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:10 am

This was a pleasant read. I was expecting a series of far-right loony posts. Has webDip finally matured?

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#12 Post by TrPrado » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:59 am

Oh well that can certainly be changed.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#13 Post by orathaic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm

JECE wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:10 am
This was a pleasant read. I was expecting a series of far-right loony posts. Has webDip finally matured?
I believe they got bored and left...

@IRS and criminal sanctions, surely Trump can be held accountable for crimes he commits/committed. Except it has to be through the impeachment process rather than the normal justice department indictment?

@whatever idiot said TSA employees were not working, they have to work despite not being paid, so no benefit it seems...

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#14 Post by TrPrado » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 pm

We did it! We broke the record for longest federal government shutdown!!

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#15 Post by orathaic » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 am

TrPrado wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 pm
We did it! We broke the record for longest federal government shutdown!!
USA USA USA 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

Randomizer

#16 Post by Randomizer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 am

orathaic wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:08 pm
@whatever idiot said TSA employees were not working, they have to work despite not being paid, so no benefit it seems...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/us/tsa-e ... index.html

TSA is now providing a day's pay and a bonus for holiday work to incentivize workers. 5% have called in sick and Miami closed a concourse due to a worker shortage.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/politics ... index.html

They are supposed to work without pay, but they can use "legal" excuses not to show up for work.

Octavious

#17 Post by Octavious » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am

Whenever this nonsense crops up I'm always amazed that no one had the gumption to change the system after previous national humiliations. Whether government employees are paid or not is a risk you'd expect Trump to be willing to take, but how the hell have we gone through Obama, Clinton, the Bushes et al with no one pushing for a change that would allow employees of the state to continue to receive an income when their political masters have another spat.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#18 Post by orathaic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm

I'm mostly with Octavious, I mean the employees will be paid, if and when the govt agrees to a budget extention. But in principle the US already has a system of mandatory expenditure (mostly on military and maybe debt interest) and the members of Congress also get paid...

The only reason this is an issue is the people making the decisions aren't the ones being harmed by it.

Randomizer

#19 Post by Randomizer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm

There is a Democratic proposal to automate legislation to always pay workers and pass spending bills based on the last one past to prevent future shutdowns. If Congress fails to pass a new spending bill, then the old one is used as a basis with spending cut by fixed percentages based on how many days it takes them to resolve the vote.

Trump has no incentive to sign since the shutdown blocks lawsuits against him in federal court, gets him support from his most extreme voters and Fox pundits, and in his mind makes him look strong. He got called weak my Fox when he said he would sign the original Republican Senate version.

McConnell didn't even stay in Washington to work on a compromise. After all Congress doesn't need Trump's signature to pass a spending bill if they get a two thirds support.

JECE

#20 Post by JECE » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:26 pm

orathaic wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm
I mean the employees will be paid, if and when the govt agrees to a budget extention.
Contracted federal workers will not get paid. Congress hasn't paid them for lost time after previous shutdowns. So janitors, security guards, etc. are out of luck.

Even for those who will get paid eventually, they can't just put off rent, bills or groceries in the meantime. In the States, when rent is due, rent is due. No excuses.