Coalition I : The Playtest

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Coalition I : The Playtest

#1 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:53 pm

INTRODUCTION

Coalition is a game of shifting alliances. The objective of the game is to end the game with the most points. The game will consist of 8 rounds, each of which is 48 hours. Since your actions will affect other players, please remain active throughout the game, read the thread, and do not rage quit.

GENERAL RULES

0. The GM reserves the right to adjudicate individual scenarios that arise during the course of the game at his discretion.
1. Players are allowed to use any means of communication available to them within site rules..
2. All players are forbidden from cheating.
3. Players are forbidden from meta-gaming.
4. All players are required to play to win.
5. All players are encourage to +1 other players' and the GM’s posts.

ELABORATION

0. Given a lack of omniscience, the GM cannot create a rule to resolve all possible scenarios pre-emptively. To compensate for this, the GM is permitted to resolve a given scenario however they see fit, within the remit of the rules listed above, in the interest of all participants. The GM will resolve all scenarios as closely as possible to the intention of the rules, and will present an explanation regarding the adjudication to the greatest possible detail (which does not compromise anything in-game) and as closely in accordance with the written rules as possible.

1. Communication to the GM should be done through PM, unless otherwise arranged by a player, with the GM’s permission. All public actions must be posted in the game thread. Any negotiations between players may take place anywhere.

2. This is a catch-all rule intended to preserve the spirit of the game. If you are considering saying or doing something that may be against the spirit of the game, message the GM about it before saying/doing it and the GM will let you know whether it is allowed or not.

3. Meta-gaming is using means outside of the game to advance their position in the game. Players cannot give other players real life money, webdip points, special treatment in an out of game activity, etc. as a means of gaining an advantage in this game. In short, keep the game within the game.

4. This rule simply means that your actions should in some conceivable way advance you to having the most points at the end of the game. This rule is somewhat subjective, because the difference between a mistake and sabotage is sometimes hard to determine; the GM will exercise caution and restraint in observing this rule. This also means that if you need to leave the game for any reason, you should not simply drop out, but should message me first so I can determine the best course of action.

9. You are permitted to click the "+1" on any other player's in-game posts. Giving +1s to the GM is actively encouraged.

PENALTIES

The penalty for breaking one of the above rules is decided at the GM’s discretion, up to and including immediate removal from the game and/or sanctions from future games. Removal and/or sanction are instruments of last resort and will be used only if absolutely necessary. Sanctions such as future bans will be determined by the consensus of the active player base after the game has concluded.

MISCELLANEOUS NOTES

SPAM
Spamming (defined as excessive content-free posting; or, excessive posting regarding subjects irrelevant to the game) is frowned upon in this game. Please do not spam the thread.

PLAYER SILENCES:
Players that have other participants on their mute list are asked to remove them for the duration of this game. Disputes stemming from outside of this game should not carry over into the gameplay. If they do, the GM reserves the right to address these issues and potentially remove or sanction players if it becomes a disruption.

ACTIONS:

Creating a Coalition: Any player who has not yet created or joined a coalition can create a coalition during the first 24 hours of a phase. To create a coalition, you do so publicly by posting ##Create [TYPE]. A player that creates a coalition is considered the Leader of that coalition, and has ownership of that coalition. Once you have created a coalition, you cannot change. A player cannot create a coalition in back to back phases. After creating a coalition, the following phase he must Join another player’s coalition.

Joining a Coalition: Any player who has not yet joined or created a coalition can join another player’s coalition. To join a coalition, you do so privately by PMing me ##Join [Player]’s coalition. Once you have joined a coalition, you cannot change.

Gifting Points : During all but the last phase of the game, a player may give up to 5 points per phase to another player. This may be done privately or publicly. This is done publicly by posting ##Give [player] xxx points. This action will take place immediately and cannot be undone. This is done privately by PMing the GM the same command. If done privately, it will not be processed until the end of the phase, and will be reflected on the results of the phase. This may be done as part of an agreement, a bribe, hiring a thief, etc.

PLEASE NOTE: If you do not use double hashtags your actions will not be counted, for reasons of fairness but also because it is unlikely the GM will see all actions using the CTRL+F feature and this rule thus prevents confusion.

TURN DURATION

This game’s phases will last 48 hours. Extensions may be granted at the GM’s discretion, but don’t count on it. There might be an extension over Christmas. We will see.

Phase shifts will be at 5:00 PM Eastern Time/4:00 PM Central Time/10:00 PM GMT(UK) Time/11:00 PM CET. The GM will endeavor to announce the end of phase promptly, but for the purposes of voting, we will be observing time.is.

In addition, each phase, there will be an additional rule that will take effect. This rule is intended to shake up strategies from phase to phase, and will not be game-breaking.

All coalition availabilities and phase specific rules are pre-determined by the GM in order to preserve fairness.

***Note: I wrote up these rules rather quickly, did some copy and pasting from the Mafia rules. For the original rules, see: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z8u ... sp=sharing

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Re: Coalition I : The Playtest

#2 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Note: Game begins in approximately 5 minutes. Anyone wishing to play may either post in this thread or PM me directly. I will PM everyone who expressed interest in the interest thread letting them know the game has begun.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#3 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Phase 1:

Phase Rule: Let’s get off to quick a start. Points in this round are doubled.

Coalitions available:

The “Popular” Coalition: This coalition has a normal leader and anyone can join it. Each player in the largest popular coalition will gain 24/n points. Additionally, the leader of the largest popular coalition gains a bonus 2 points. Any popular coalition that is not the largest popular coalition gains 0 points. If two or more popular coalitions are tied in being the largest, each member of the coalitions is awarded 12/n points, and no leader bonuses are received.

The “Gamble” Coalition: This coalition has a normal leader and anyone can join it. Each player in a gamble coalition where n is even gains 8 points, while players in a gamble coalition where n is odd gain 2 point.

The “Solitary” Coalition: This coalition only consists of one member, the leader. The leader gains 5 points.

Game has begun and the next phase change will be on Sunday 12/16 at 5pm EST.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#4 Post by Tom Bombadil » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 pm

Awesome.

I'll get this ball rolling. This looks fun.

##create POPULAR

If you're not first, you're last, right?

Also, What's the difference between a dirty bus stop and a lobster with a boob job?..
One's a crusty bus station the others a busty crustacean

Join coalition Bombadil today!

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 pm

How many players do we have again?

Doshy II

#6 Post by Doshy II » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:43 pm

Can't let you have all the points, can I?

##Create POPULAR

Join Doshy's coalition for a free lunch!

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#7 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Claesar wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 pm
Depends on who all actually participates. Approximately 10 though.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#8 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:51 pm

But if more people want to join they can still join a little late.

Claesar

#9 Post by Claesar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:59 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 pm
Claesar wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 pm
Depends on who all actually participates. Approximately 10 though.
So mathematically, if you can get exactly 3 people in a Popular coalition and it's the largest, you break even against a 2-player Gamble.

I'll join the first Gamble team that's created.

Claesar

#10 Post by Claesar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 pm

No one else should join the first Gamble team, as you'll run a very high risk of receiving only 2 points yourself. Even if you find a 4th participant, they have a high incentive to leave you hanging. Everyone else should just get their own 2-player Gamble coalition or join the most popular one (which have higher risk/reward).
This round is pretty easy mathematically.

thisisntme

#11 Post by thisisntme » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Claesar wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 pm
No one else should join the first Gamble team, as you'll run a very high risk of receiving only 2 points yourself. Even if you find a 4th participant, they have a high incentive to leave you hanging. Everyone else should just get their own 2-player Gamble coalition or join the most popular one (which have higher risk/reward).
You create the first gamble squad and I'll join

Claesar

#12 Post by Claesar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:40 pm

thisisntme wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:36 pm
Claesar wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:12 pm
You create the first gamble squad and I'll join
I will take you up on that offer if no one creates a Gamble posse for me.

michaelf77

#13 Post by michaelf77 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:06 am

##Create SOLITARY

I never tried Mafia but this game sounds like fun!

Claesar

#14 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:11 am

Ultimately, at the end of the round this should be the scoring:

Tom+Doshy at 12
All Gamblers at 8
No one at a different point total

Of course, there will be one person who chances it with a popular coalition which yields this scoring:

Popular leader at 14
Follower at 12
All Gamblers at 8
Unpopular leader at 0

You can already see how that's suboptimal, and it gets worse if two people take a chance:

Popular leader at 10
Gamblers and Followers at 8
Unpopular leader at 0

-or-
Gamblers at 8
All Popular people for only 6

Prove me wrong.

Claesar

#15 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 am

Add MichaelF77 on 5 points to all those lists and you see why Solitary should not be considered at all..

michaelf77

#16 Post by michaelf77 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:47 am

Claesar wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:12 am
Add MichaelF77 on 5 points to all those lists and you see why Solitary should not be considered at all..
You assume fully cooperative players ( for example Gamblers that follow through on joining instead of promising to join to several coalitions and then requesting incentive to keep one at even) and from my brief look at previous such games it is not a safe assumption.

RagingIke297

#17 Post by RagingIke297 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:06 am

##create GAMBLE

RagingIke297

#18 Post by RagingIke297 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:07 am

michaelf77 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:47 am
Claesar wrote:
You assume fully cooperative players ( for example Gamblers that follow through on joining instead of promising to join to several coalitions and then requesting incentive to keep one at even) and from my brief look at previous such games it is not a safe assumption.
I think people will cooperate early, but toward the end it'll be better to go it alone. I dont see people purposely trying to get a gamble to an odd number on purpose, it sets them back too and everyone has equal footing right now

Claesar

#19 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:36 am

##Join RagingIke297’s 'Gamble'

##CallGM: Is it allowed to publically join like this, or are PMs the only way?

RagingIke is right. If anyone joins him and me, they'd just guarantee themselves 2 points which is a surefire way to lose.

Claesar

#20 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:38 am

michaelf77 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:47 am
Claesar wrote:
You're right, someone might promise to join a Gambler's coalition and then leave them hanging. That's why I preferred someone else to create one. Now I know for sure RagingIke and I are in one together.