Mafia Invitational - Welcome to Wakanda

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Durga

Mafia Invitational - Welcome to Wakanda

#1 Post by Durga » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 pm

This is the game thread for the Mafia Invitational. Please do not post here unless you are playing in the game.

IMPORTANT RULES PLEASE READ
1. There is NO NIGHT PHASE in this game
2. Each day will last 48 hours with the End of Day being at 6PM EST
3. This is a CLOSED SET UP GAME - I will not be telling you the set up. Do not try to get it out of me. Please play within the spirit of this type of game and do not reveal things that may potentially break the ‘closed’ aspect (use your best judgement here - obviously you can claim or fake claim but do not post the PM we send you).
4. The mafia team consists of THREE scum and they have a DAY CHAT
5. The flip will only be PARTIAL REVEAL (ie I will tell you the alignment, but not what role they had)
6. It is NOT NECESSARY to place a vote
7. I demand a minimum of TWO POSTS per phase.
8. There are two mafia games going on currently, NO TALKING about the other one.
9. In addition to that -> we have to use this mafia bot link and not the ‘current game’ status stuff http://mafia.peterlund.se/e/web/game_status?g=1006
10. If you want to ##CALL GM -> Please make it a BRIGHT RED colour
11. Anything contentious will ultimately be resolved by the GMs, no whining allowed.
12. Have fun!!!

Co-gm: worcej

General Rules
0. The GM reserves the right to adjudicate individual scenarios that arise during the course of the game at his discretion.
1. All players must post at least twice per game day.
2. All players are forbidden from posting screenshots of their role PMs.
3. All players are forbidden from using encryption.
4. All players are forbidden from using non-sanctioned PMing, or copied mechanics.
5. All spectators and players who have been eliminated are forbidden from posting on all comment threads related to the game notes.
6. All players are forbidden from cheating.
7. All players are required to play to win.
8. Players and/or teams may not concede the game in public.
9. All players must not +1 other players' posts.

*If you want the elaboration of these rules that you should all be very familiar with, go to literally any other game or PM me about it. Rules we’ve all generally abided by before will continue to be followed unless otherwise stated by me or worcej.

PLAYER LIST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
1. Balki Bartokomous
2. bozotheclown
3. Damian
4. Ezio
5. Fluminator
6. FoxCastle
7. ghug
8. ND
9. rdrivera2005
10. Squigs44
11. Tom Bombadil
12. Vecna
13. xorxes

VT ROLE PM: Vanilla Townie
You are a Vanilla Townie. You are a citizen of Wakanda and one of many protectors of its secret: Vibranium. Knowing that others would attempt to manipulate and dominate Wakanda for this rare and valuable resource, it is your duty to protect Wakanda from outside manipulators (Mafia). To do this, each day you can vote for a suspect. You win when all of the outside manipulators have been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from happening.

The game will open at 6PM EST. Do not post until then.

Durga

Re: Mafia Invitational - Welcome to Wakanda

#2 Post by Durga » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:00 pm

In the distant past, five African tribes warred over a meteorite made up of an alien metal. One day a warrior ingested a "heart-shaped herb", which was affected by the metal, and it gave the warrior superhuman abilities. Becoming the first "Black Panther", he united four of the five tribes and formed the nation of Wakanda.

As time passed, the Black Panther concealed his country from the outside world. He chose to sell off minute amounts of the valuable metal, later named Vibranium due to its ability to absorb sound, while surreptitiously sending the country's best scholars to study abroad, consequently turning Wakanda into one of the world's most technologically advanced nations.

However, the secret of Wakanda and her Vibranium has not stayed completely hidden. There are those out in the world that want to reveal the secrets of Vibranium for their own personal gain. It is up to the citizens of Wakanda and their leader, the Black Panther, to protect Wakanda from those that would expose their secret to the world.

Will the citizens prevail?

Or will the fruits of Wakanda be available for all to enjoy?

GAME HAS STARTED. YOU MAY NOW POST.

xorxes

#3 Post by xorxes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 pm

Hello? Anyone here?

damian

#4 Post by damian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 pm

I've never played a closed set up game before. So I'd like to solicit the opinions of anyone who has so we can figure out the optimal strategy. Are there any things that are normally a good idea in open set up games that I should be avoiding doing?

It seems to me that our limited information coupled with a scum day chat, means we're in for a particularly tough game. As it seems to me that closed set up means we start with very little information. We don't know if the scum team has any powers, or what powers the various villagers have.

That's going to make it awfully hard to deal with scum fake claims. My first inclination is to say that town should never fake claim, especially when it comes to roles that claim to have information. Since a partial reveal means fake claims will leave all of us chasing down false leads.

While I do think the scum day chat is particularly potent for them, I do think its likely also are best bet of catching scum. Active coordination, or weird pauses in the main thread have the potential to be much more role indicative. I think the best hedge against scum coordination is going to be keeping the voting fluid and active, especially at EON. As it will make coordination potentially easier to spot.

##Vote Flum :lol: Love you Flum

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#5 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:18 pm

Hello Xorxes. Slow start I see. Have you ever played in a hidden setup?

ND

#6 Post by ND » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Weekends are bad for me and I am going on a small trip in the morning will try to post some when I can though later. Werid rules more thoughts ltrs.

xorxes

#7 Post by xorxes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Nope, I haven't played one of these before.

xorxes

#8 Post by xorxes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:23 pm

Are we supposed to infer things from the flavor? I don't get the five tribes forming one but leaving one out...

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:25 pm

Well hey there! Glad to be here, excited to play with you all, etc. etc.

It is a bit bizarre to have no idea what game we are playing. But...seems like main principles apply. Somebody's pretending. Let's kill'em.

damian

#10 Post by damian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:26 pm

I would guess we aren't supposed to infer set-up things from the flavour. Just based on " I will not be telling you the set up. Do not try to get it out of me."

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#11 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:29 pm

The no night thing is the most interesting thing to me. How does this work without NKs? Mafia day kills?

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#12 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Damian, I'm excited to play with you. Anything I should know about you or your playstyle?

xorxes

#13 Post by xorxes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Maybe they vote during the day and the NK processes together with the lynch?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#14 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:29 pm
The no night thing is the most interesting thing to me. How does this work without NKs? Mafia day kills?
Assuming that our fearless GM would tell us rules if she wants us to know rules. I don't think we should assume that mafia get a factional kill at all. Though, I bet they have ways to kill us if we get too rowdy.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#15 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Guess we will find out soon enough

xorxes

#16 Post by xorxes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:34 pm

I don't remember if I ever played with damian, probably yes but maybe no

xorxes

#17 Post by xorxes » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 pm

Out of the rest, the scummiest is rdrivera.

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#18 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:37 pm

There really isn't much to do until ghug gets on and tells us who the bad guys are.

damian

#19 Post by damian » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:38 pm

What a question.
Uh. I haven't played in a while so I've got a lot of rust to shake off. I also don't really know anyone's meta.

I'm fairly busy during the time frame so I don't expect to be as prolific a poster as I have been in previous games. Used to be when I got going I could give brainbomb a run for his money.

Squig You seem to like to ask direct questions to people who are online which are related to the game but perhaps of limited utility for scum hunting. Are you familiar with the concept of anchoring? Do you feel the answers you're getting to your questions are helpful for finding scum?

Balki Bartokomous
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#20 Post by Balki Bartokomous » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm

^^^ Clearly the scummiest thing I have read in like a week.

##vote Damian