BLUE WAVE DEMOCRAT VICTORY PARTY

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
brainbomb

BLUE WAVE DEMOCRAT VICTORY PARTY

#1 Post by brainbomb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 am

House, Senate, All of it. Were taking it all back bitches. Celebrate here

Octavious

Re: BLUE WAVE DEMOCRAT VICTORY PARTY

#2 Post by Octavious » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:01 pm

It's going to be an interesting one to watch. When do the results start coming in?

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by flash2015 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:01 pm
It's going to be an interesting one to watch. When do the results start coming in?
The first polls close 6pm EST but I wouldn't expect any significant results until a few hours after that.

brainbomb

#4 Post by brainbomb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:19 pm

DEMS RETAKE OUR FUCKIN COUNTRY BITCHES

Randomizer

#5 Post by Randomizer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Polls predict a lot of close races so between absentee ballots and recounts the results might take weeks for some races. This year expect to see lawsuits over voter suppression since some districts in the past have counted less ballots in the final official totals than reported at the voting booths.

brainbomb

#6 Post by brainbomb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Dems will win all the lawsuits
And destroy the evil republican agenda for the next 15 years

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:39 pm

When was the last time the casual, cookie cutter Democrats were really, really confident they had it all figured out heading into Election Day?

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:16 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 pm
Octavious wrote:
The first polls close 6pm EST but I wouldn't expect any significant results until a few hours after that.
Best waiting until breakfast then? Cheers, Flash.

Polls closing at 6 sounds ridiculously early to British ears. Is that a common thing in the US? And what's the reasoning behind such an early finish?

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Par score for the night is for the Republicans to hold the Senate, and the Democrats to win a modest majority in the other one, from what I've read. I was amazed looking back over the last century by just how rare it's been for the Republicans to hold both of them.

Just to check my understanding, each State has two Senators who have six year terms, regardless of how big the State is? That's... weird. And does the whole state vote for both of them, or is the State split into two constituencies?

And the other house elects people for just two years? So I'm guessing that means that their time in office is divided up something along the lines of 18 months campaigning for re-election, and 6 months on holiday?

And governors... they must do something...

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by flash2015 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:03 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:16 pm
flash2015 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 pm
Octavious wrote:
Best waiting until breakfast then? Cheers, Flash.

Polls closing at 6 sounds ridiculously early to British ears. Is that a common thing in the US? And what's the reasoning behind such an early finish?
No idea. It makes no sense considering that election day is a weekday (I *think* polls close in Australia at 6pm but election day there is on a Saturday). It does depend on the state though. 6pm is Indiana and part of Kentucky. New York doesn't close until 9pm:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/ ... map-945421

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by bo_sox48 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:32 pm
Par score for the night is for the Republicans to hold the Senate, and the Democrats to win a modest majority in the other one, from what I've read. I was amazed looking back over the last century by just how rare it's been for the Republicans to hold both of them.

Just to check my understanding, each State has two Senators who have six year terms, regardless of how big the State is? That's... weird. And does the whole state vote for both of them, or is the State split into two constituencies?

And the other house elects people for just two years? So I'm guessing that means that their time in office is divided up something along the lines of 18 months campaigning for re-election, and 6 months on holiday?

Each state has two Senators, and generally Senators only come up for reelection every six years (barring special circumstances, i.e. John McCain died in September, John Kyl is sitting in his seat until January). Most Senators barring something really terrible on their part or a major shift in public opinion serve multiple if not many terms, some like McCain until the day they die. That's why it is so wild that someone like Ted Cruz actually stands a chance at losing his seat today, or why it was so stunning that Dick Lugar, a well-liked Senator for nearly 40 years, lost in a primary to Richard Mourdock in 2012 (who then mucked up his own general election campaign and lost to a Democrat in Indiana, which is pretty stunning in its own right).

Each state has a different number of representatives, one from each district, which are generally drawn fairly but are occasionally redrawn unfairly by the government in a process called gerrymandering to break up districts that vote against their political party. It's ridiculously unfair and unconstitutional. Representatives serve two-year terms and unless they really go out of their way to piss off their constituents, they too are likely to serve multiple terms. They are elected by popular opinion in a small region of each state, though, so they are more beholden to their constituency than Senators are and it does not take as much of a wave to turn the people against them and vote them out. That is why there is more turnover in the House.

What do our Representatives do while in office? Like you said, they spend a shitload of time campaigning. They basically work the winter (the "session" as it is so emphatically called) and then go home. They campaign at home. Some of them, particularly state Representatives (not Congressional representatives), work other jobs the rest of the year. It is quite literally designed to be a part-time governance role and in a modern world it is a very strange thing, though the pay raises they constantly vote for themselves tend to make it so that they really don't have to work outside of their role in Congress and can just schmooze for eight months of the year on the fundraising trail.

Governors don't really have much involvement in the federal government unless they're appointing someone to a position or participating in amendment votes, which is rare. In simple terms, they're basically the POTUS of their state. Most states have a two-term limit on governors, so they tend to spend a fair amount of their time actually doing their jobs as opposed to fundraising. Some states, such as Montana for example, have an 8-of-16 year statute, so if a governor serves two four year terms, he is allowed to run again in another 8 years. A half a dozen or so states (Texas, New York, Washington, New Hampshire, and a few others?) have no term limits.

Our founders really hated your system of government so much that they wrote this one up. Gotta hand it to them...

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#12 Post by flash2015 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Unfortunately, most of congresscritters time is spent fundraising. Allegedly both parties have made it a requirement for new members to spend 30 hours a week on the phone raising money:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... akers-into

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Having elections every two years is a real pain in the ass, as Mrs May in the UK taught us by having a special joke election for no good reason in 2017, pissing away her parliamentary majority and handing the balance of power to a small group of religious extremists.

Octavious

#14 Post by Octavious » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 pm
Having elections every two years is a real pain in the ass, as Mrs May in the UK taught us by having a special joke election for no good reason in 2017, pissing away her parliamentary majority and handing the balance of power to a small group of religious extremists.
Bless. May's master plan has worked perfectly. The balance of power has always been held by a small group of extremists. The only difference is this time the blame falls on the Irish instead of the Tory lunatic wing.

Jamiet99uk

#15 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:10 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 pm
Bless. May's master plan has worked perfectly. The balance of power has always been held by a small group of extremists. The only difference is this time the blame falls on the Irish instead of the Tory lunatic wing.
You're funny.

Octavious

#16 Post by Octavious » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:45 pm

Well, you have to laugh at the state of politics in the UK. The lunatic wing holding the balance of power on the right, the lunatic wing actually in charge on the left, and in the middle the Lib Dems wondering what the hell would have to happen for people to start voting for them again.

brainbomb

#17 Post by brainbomb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:44 am

Midterm elections havent been kind to dems since 2006-2008. The Obama craze brought on an all blue.

I think theres gonna be a historic fail for Republicans on all races.

brainbomb

#18 Post by brainbomb » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:44 am

High voter turnout favors Democrats

Randomizer

#19 Post by Randomizer » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:55 am

Mid term races historically go against the incumbent party and at 39% of voters saying they are voting against Trump, this is higher than other times.

Greg_the_republican

#20 Post by Greg_the_republican » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 am

Sometimes I feel like the only conservative on WebDiplomacy.