October GhostRatings Published

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: October GhostRatings Published

#41 Post by MadMarx » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 am

Yonni wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm
Also keep in mind that it excludes PPSC which was the only scoring system on WebDip for a long time so comparing "peak rating" misses out on a lot of the stats.
Things were much different back when I started playing on webDip. Even after WTA was added to PPSC, PPSC was the default option so it took time for WTA to gain popularity.

We didn’t have anonymous games as an option, I remember creating a few games after completing my first 7 games, all 7 were solos so my profile showed a 100% win percentage, in a few of those my competition literally agreed to kill me pretty much the moment the game was started, in the pre-game (after looking at my profile), which obviously would not have happened with anonymous games.

If you wanted to play gunboat it was done with the honor system, thus never tagged in a way for GR calculations to recognize it as gunboat. I remember playing a handful of gunboat games with the main purpose of decreasing my winning percentage, in an attempt to avoid the ridiculous metagaming I had encountered, and as I understand it those games are not counted as gunboat when calculating GR, which clouds its accuracy.

In the end, statistics are just statistics, and it’s kind of fun that every one of us can twist them around however we choose to our own amusement! :-)

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#42 Post by ghug » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm

If GR were actually good at what it does, we wouldn't all be able to claim we're better than everyone else. No fun in that.

Ogion

#43 Post by Ogion » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:13 pm

ghug wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm
If GR were actually good at what it does, we wouldn't all be able to claim we're better than everyone else. No fun in that.

We're not better than anyone else, except for you. We're all better than ghug.

#betterthanghug

;)

ItsHosuke

#44 Post by ItsHosuke » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am

Why don't I see my username anywhere? O_O

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#45 Post by ghug » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Ogion wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:13 pm
ghug wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm

We're not better than anyone else, except for you. We're all better than ghug.

#betterthanghug

;)
I'd check those rankings again, bud. :razz: