The Elephant In My Room

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
PRINCE WILLIAM

Re: The Elephant In My Room

#21 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Ι think you made a much ado for nothing here. But since you opened the thread, here is what I think.
A misorder is something that can happen to anyone. Yet if it is of such a proportion of ensuring you lose the game then there is no pleasure to play it. In chess, if you do a blunder which condemns you, you just resign. As this is not an option here, you had two options. Either to force your opponent to play a game he doesn't enjoy or to be gallant and restart or play in a way that fixes it. I have done so in quite a number of games. If that happens during turn one, as you said, is a little too far to have the other play 10-12 turns for any reason. To train in this way yourself is not admirable, it is just another kind of ego.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#22 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:10 am

I'm not sure what Prince Vilhelm means by forcing the opponent to play a game he doesn't enjoy. I will refer to my controversial actions in a game when I did not make a mistake in orders, but did mistakenly attribute more honour to a player than they actually possessed.
Other players in that game included Tom Bombarding & Yoyoyozo.
I simply chose to play to lose as soon as possible and deliberately favour the untrustworthy "ally" in his desire to get a solo win once he pulled his discreditable stunt. My intention was to devalue the Blighter's solo win. It was a defacto "resigns in disgust" strategy. By golly, other players got quite excitable in their condemnation of my actions. A forum thread was created to discuss my actions. It should be noted that in my over 130 games at WebDiplomacy this is, so far, the one singular time I did this naughty "resigns in disgust" type of play, although in a few other games I have ignored games & NMR'd so that I ended my involvement in them.
So my tip for MadMarx.. they're only games. You're allowed to treat some with the contempt they, in your opinion, deserve.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#23 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm

What I was talking about, dear Major, was that if the opponent makes a misorder that certainly ruins his game in the first turn it is an act of chivalry to restart the game instead of having him play a game he won't enjoy being sure to lose it from the beginning.

MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#24 Post by MadMarx » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:47 pm

It wasn’t the first move in this instance, but regardless, with PW’s further explanation, it seems to me that PW and MM are in agreement, and differ in their opinion from O. To restart is a kindness that should be appreciated and acknowledged as a kindness by the opponent, rather than something that is expected and thus unappreciated.

Perhaps it is the press player in me, or maybe the type of press player that I am, that results in my line of thinking. I prefer to follow the lead of others, which includes allowing others to slit their own throats if they so choose, free will is a double-edged sword, and sometimes you actually reap what you sow.

VillageIdiot

#25 Post by VillageIdiot » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 am

MajorMichell’s post hurt my brain.

MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#26 Post by MadMarx » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Comes down to “fair play” versus “respectful/polite” play. In my opinion, my opponent was not respectful to me about the situation, did not politely acknowledge the situation (that *he* screwed up, not me), and instead repeatedly whined about how I owed it to him to restart the game (in the name of “fair play”)...

I’m confident cultural/language differences are part of the issue, and clearly we each have arguments to make in our defense, so ultimately I think it is a learning experience and something to think about... There’s even a chance we both might do things differently if given the chance! ;-)

CptMike

#27 Post by CptMike » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:03 pm

It is incredible...

Mark, you are just a manipulator and I tell you franckly : you have a very deep psychological problem.

I'd like to see the text I would have published on which you could base that "my opponent was not respectful to me about the situation, did not politely acknowledge the situation (that *he* screwed up, not me), and instead repeatedly whined about how I owed it to him to restart the game."

You have transformed the "whole story" to focus this around this lack of fair-play (from yours) but that was never the point. I have never complained a single time ! You were not 'fair-play' that's clear. And so what ? That's your right. I don't care at all.

The problem is that despite it was not restarted, you lost that famous game and ...AFTER THIS... you started to harass me again and again (on my Ghost Ranking, attacks on GvI, defeat vs Genghiz) and you went on with 2 threads on the forum on the topic, whereas this story is several months old!

peterwiggin
Site Admin
Site Admin

#28 Post by peterwiggin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:00 pm

First of all, nobody else is allowed to be PW. I already get myself confused with the abbreviation for "password."

Second of all, maybe Marx and Mike should just mute each other and move on? Marx at least is supposed to be defending a world cup title or something.

CptMike

#29 Post by CptMike » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 pm

peterwiggin wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:00 pm
First of all, nobody else is allowed to be PW. I already get myself confused with the abbreviation for "password."

Second of all, maybe Marx and Mike should just mute each other and move on? Marx at least is supposed to be defending a world cup title or something.
I have already muted this guy for a long time.
But muting still gives access to the thread and the posts in fact.

It is time to delete this thread and ask him to move on, indeed.

MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#30 Post by MadMarx » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:54 pm

CptMike wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:08 pm
I bid 1000 points on captainmeme and 1000 other points on genghiz.
Who challenges me ? (Before next move to decide)
That’s from the last Champions League, my first, and I had to face the defending champ, genghiz. This post tells me two things, one is that CM likes to bet, the other is that CM thinks betting on genghiz is smart. The Captain and I are completely compatible in both respects! :-)

As far as CM being personally offended by me being openly critical of GvI, I have no words to console him, that’s on him for being so attached to a poor variant.

I’m a big fan of GR, *everyone’s* GR, so I am strongly in favor of it being as accurate as it can be. As far as me questioning the 1v1 formula when CM was ranked #1 rather than xorxes, that was out of respect for xorxes, I would have made the same argument regardless of who it was if xorxes was not on top, so that’s nothing personal.

None of those were “harassments”...

Octavious

#31 Post by Octavious » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:26 pm

This thread resembles harassment rather strongly, though, with its stated aim of "clearing the air" failing utterly to disguise its true purpose of beating CptMike over the head with a stick. I am somewhat surprised it's been allowed to continue.

Whether Mike's behaviour was commendable or worthy of scorn I really couldn't care less about, and I doubt he gives a damn whatever I think, but making a big fuss about it on the forum is a best lame and at worst rather disturbing. Frankly you're old and ugly enough (to borrow one of my dear Gran's favourite expressions) to know better.

CptMike

#32 Post by CptMike » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:26 pm
Whether Mike's behaviour was commendable or worthy of scorn I really couldn't care less about, and I doubt he gives a damn whatever I think (...)
:? But I haven't done nor written absolutely anything...

He keeps making up stories to justify his behaviour and to give these some sort of credit. Where would I have complained about his lack of fair-play ?

But I am even not a victim here. I am the target of this guy. I was wondering the meaning of the title of his thread : am I the "Elephant" in the safari he plays in his "room" ? I wonder if he is not crazy enough just to "warm up" for our future next game ???

Wow...

MadMarx
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#33 Post by MadMarx » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Apologies to all.

Maybe a month silencing will get the message through...

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#34 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Locked for obvious reasons. In this wonderful world of the internet, I hope we do not forget that we can, in fact, air out grievances privately without seeking the approval and acknowledgment of strangers that we don't know who otherwise would not care.