Civil Disorder..players in a game should get the option of switching from their country to one that has no player

Use this forum to discuss Diplomacy strategy.
Forum rules
This forum is limited to topics relating to the game Diplomacy only. Other posts or topics will be relocated to the correct forum category or deleted. Please be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Civil Disorder..players in a game should get the option of switching from their country to one that has no player

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 am

I'm suggesting that players already in a game should have the choice of switching to a country that has no player because it's gone into Civil Disorder, or the mods remove a player. Other players outside the game get to join for free now, no extra points going in to the pot. Why shouldn't players already invested in the game get the option of switching from their country to the one without a player ?

ChippeRock

Re: Civil Disorder..players in a game should get the option of switching from their country to one that has no player

#2 Post by ChippeRock » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 am

I disagree with your opinion. However, if your already defeated in the game you should be able to join as the available country.

ubercacher16

Re: Civil Disorder..players in a game should get the option of switching from their country to one that has no player

#3 Post by ubercacher16 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 am

It gives the person who joined slightly more information then everyone else. If you have access to all past messages from two different nations then you can use that to your advantage even if only on nation is still alive.

At least that is what someone else told me. Not sure how much of an advantage could be gained from that, just putting it out there.

Kremmen

#4 Post by Kremmen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 am

CD situations should be handled to try to minimise, not maximise, the chaos and disruption to the game. This would cause chaos.
Imagine (esp. in a World game) when a major player is removed. A smaller nation might then take over, abandoning their nation. So a smaller nation then moves to that nation. And so on. You could have 6 or 7 players move countries. Then they'd all have information about who'd been lying to whom before the move as well as the information about their new country's communications.

I do however agree that even the usual disruption used to at least be mitigated by the extra points going into the pot when new players had to pay half to join. Reducing that to zero did more harm than good.

Octavious

#5 Post by Octavious » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 am

ubercacher16 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 am
It gives the person who joined slightly more information then everyone else. If you have access to all past messages from two different nations then you can use that to your advantage even if only on nation is still alive.

At least that is what someone else told me. Not sure how much of an advantage could be gained from that, just putting it out there.
A huge advantage. Surely this is obvious?

Players switching is an awful idea. A CD disrupts the balance, but this kicks the scales on to the floor. Not wishing to sound overly negative, but there's not a single redeeming feature to this plan.

Mercy

#6 Post by Mercy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am

I agree that it is a bad idea to allow players already in the game to take over CD spots, for the reasons mentioned before. I also agree with Kremmen that it would be better if players taking over CD positions would pay at least a small number of points. That way, people have invested a bit in their position and will play it more seriously.

I'd like to add that I think that there should be a way that GR takes into account CD's taken over so that taking over CD's won't hurt or inflate your ranking too much. Also, it would be excellent if players who NMRd in the first turn of a game would be kicked immediately and the phase got extended to give other people the opportunity to take over the position.

All of this exists on vDiplomacy (where there is vRanking instead of GR), so to me, vDiplomacy has a far superior CD system.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#7 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:17 am

What about the joinable games joke ? I definitely think there should be a points buy in unless the game is unranked. Joinable games..I look, it tells me there are fifty odd games ( 57 I think today ) on six pages..but the reality is there are only three games, two only with the spectate option, and one that's joinable..on half a page..so where are the lost/missing 54 games ?

CAPT Brad

#8 Post by CAPT Brad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 am

The system works as is. No change is necessary

CAPT Brad

#9 Post by CAPT Brad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:42 am

Oh and by the way, I am kicking ass in that gameID=210750 you fled in fear from!

Jeff Kuta

#10 Post by Jeff Kuta » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:44 am

Use Reliability Rating filters before starting the game.

Ostracize those who make the experience here less than enjoyable.

CAPT Brad

#11 Post by CAPT Brad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:13 am

That was what the 'fled in fear' comment was for.

MajorMitchell

#12 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 pm

Today's joinable games..60 on 6 pages ??? Except there's only two games on half a page.
"Fled in fear " ??? I think Capt Brad is watching too much TV and is possibly non compliant with his "meds". They're only games Capt dopey. If I choose to shun a game it's car more likely to be an expression of distaste, displeasure not fear.
In a similar way to the great cricketer and WW2 pilot Kieth Miller dismissing a reporter's question about "pressure in a Cricket match" Miller said that cricket is a game and pressure is having a Messerschmitt on your tail, I would suggest that in regard to inducing fear in my good self, then in comparison to the adorable Fire Breathing MemSahib there is nothing in any game of Diplomacy that could induce in me the slightest tremor of concern for my personal safety.

CAPT Brad

#13 Post by CAPT Brad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:08 am

You protest too much. Your game play sucked so bad that your allies turned on you. As you can see in the present status I am pushing back the european and the Indian players. But you were such a ninny in the game that you took a strong position and made it a bowl of mush.

MajorMitchell

#14 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:55 am

Absolute rubbish Capt Brad.

CAPT Brad

#15 Post by CAPT Brad » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:19 am

Rubbish you say my dear misguided major? This is gameID=210750.
The good major was the WC player until he himself CDed late in the game. I am the replacement USA player who was nearly eliminated when I took over. See for yourself and judge the players.