Can we get a Concede button for bot-only games?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
Carl Tuckerson

Can we get a Concede button for bot-only games?

#1 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:30 am

I know when the AI debuted, there was talk of using the data from bot-only games for some other function, and in the interest of collecting that data there wasn't any interest in adding a Concede button.

If that's still true then no worries, but if not, I just want to add my 2 cents and say that a Concede button would be a very convenient addition for players.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can we get a Concede button for bot-only games?

#2 Post by bo_sox48 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:47 pm

This is on our list of things that we need to do, so yes, eventually.

dipperjay
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by dipperjay » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 am

In the two 1:1 variants, there already is a Concede button, but not in the Classic variant. Not sure why this difference.

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:16 pm

dipperjay wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:21 am
In the two 1:1 variants, there already is a Concede button, but not in the Classic variant. Not sure why this difference.
Because there's a Concede button wven when you play 1v1 against another human player. We don't want this in Classic though.

dipperjay
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by dipperjay » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:39 am

Got it, thanks!

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by Chaqa » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:50 pm

Can we also get a concede button in Clssic games? :)

millerso

#7 Post by millerso » Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Please, please, please add a concede button for classic. Nobody benefits from forcing players to stick around indefinitely in trivially hopeless positions and nobody benefits from waiting two turns when players give up and leave.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#8 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:12 am

Is the ask for a concede button in classic against bots or against humans?

D0ublesh0ts

#10 Post by D0ublesh0ts » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:20 pm

I've been told that not adding a concede button in classic was to help train the bot AI, but honestly I think that would just lead to poor training data, when I couldn't concede I would just throw my centers to lose faster.

I think a concede button against bots in would help a lot in saving time.
I think a concede button in classic vs other players could be useful in allowing players to remove themselves from a game without having to wait to time out or message the mods; it would let another player take over their position sooner.

Ogion

#11 Post by Ogion » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:54 pm

This. Suuuuuper annoying

And yes, training bots afainst people intentionally losing centers is a bad plan

However, kudos for generally excellent bots. Ive played against bots in many games, and they are generally terrible (looking at you, Civ), but these are really good

DougJoe

#12 Post by DougJoe » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 pm

Not that I'm against a concede button, but fight to the bitter end! Personally, I think that I've learned something from trying to survive dire situations against the bots - even as frustrating as it can be at times.

If the situation is that bad, it usually doesn't take more than a minute to order a couple of units and hit ready. I know that in most situations you will eventually get ground to nothing, but it's always worth giving the bots a chance to change their mind or get in each other's way (which I've seen happen a couple of times). If the board looks really stuck (like it did in a game I played today as Germany) I just hit draw - the handful of extra moves that have to be made aren't a huge time sink. (In that example, the game finished just as Turkey figured out how to make the progress it needed to "unstick" the board).

I wouldn't mind seeing a "pull in your last order set" button.

I also wouldn't mind allowing the bots to continue after I was eliminated - the draw rules could go into effect and/or the 1950 cap would apply. My motivation for such is twofold - getting a more accurate picture of bot strength through stats, and also being able to see the bot that eliminated me by being stupid get what was coming to it. ;)

Ogion

#13 Post by Ogion » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 am

Well, maybe if I hadn't played literally five times as many games as you i'd feel like wasting my time watching bots run the board after a stupid bot has decided to suicide into me. (seriously, why does the bot love to do this?) It's a waste of my time and puts me in a bad mood to have to creatively feed my centers to the bot. That's a ridiculous take frankly. You want to fight out? Feel free. I don't.

Hell, just make the cancel button always operable or fix the damn draw button, which does NOT work remotely the way it says it does. Hell, I've had games drawn on me when I didn't even hit the draw button.

Claesar

#14 Post by Claesar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:56 am

DougJoe wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 pm
I also wouldn't mind allowing the bots to continue after I was eliminated - the draw rules could go into effect and/or the 1950 cap would apply. My motivation for such is twofold - getting a more accurate picture of bot strength through stats, and also being able to see the bot that eliminated me by being stupid get what was coming to it. ;)
The server crashed last time we tried that.

Claesar

#15 Post by Claesar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:58 am

Ogion wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 am
Hell, just make the cancel button always operable or fix the damn draw button, which does NOT work remotely the way it says it does. Hell, I've had games drawn on me when I didn't even hit the draw button.
That would be a very serious bug. Please submit a bug report.

gimix
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#16 Post by gimix » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:33 am

DougJoe wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:25 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a "pull in your last order set" button.
That would be a very nice feature in many other situations too. For instance when you're very strong in a Modern or American game, with almost 30 units to move and maybe 20 of them just having to repeat the same moveset as the previous turn.
(Not that i find myself in such a position that often, but it happens :-D )

DougJoe

#17 Post by DougJoe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:32 am

Ogion wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:36 am
Well, maybe if I hadn't played literally five times as many games as you i'd feel like wasting my time watching bots run the board after a stupid bot has decided to suicide into me. (seriously, why does the bot love to do this?) It's a waste of my time and puts me in a bad mood to have to creatively feed my centers to the bot. That's a ridiculous take frankly. You want to fight out? Feel free. I don't.

I said I wasn't against a concede button, but I guess I haven't had enough games yet where the bots made me angry enough to rage-quit.