Forum Public Press Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
The Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#181 Post by The Minister of Silly Walks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:16 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 pm
The Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm
Well, it turns out that the British PM does not take kindly to the Ministry of Silly Walks giving orders, especially when that ministry is made up entirely of French spies! As you may have guessed by now, I’m not actually Britain, but France. I have no idea who the real England is, but they are in a bit of a tight spot now.
Have you read my earlier post and considered my proposal?
Yes, I accept your proposal.

TheFlyingBoat

#182 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:17 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:43 pm
To Russia: Thanks. I think it is clear that you do not want to fight me. I will allow you into Sweden as a show of my gratitude.

Say what now? A move against Austria by opening Moscow-Ukr and War-Gal is a clear danger to you. You definitely should bounce him out of Sweden.

As for Austria, support yourself into Greece and take your 50/50 shot on Russia.

Minister of Silly Walks

#183 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:20 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm
Well the original comment was actually that Germany would not allow Russia to gain three builds. I was trying to show that independent of what Germany did, there was still reasonable doubt that Russia would get three builds.
Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm

This is assuming that Galicia makes it into an Austrian home SC
And there aren't many reasons to assume the contrary, not to mention that welfare of Austria and Germany is often mutually dependent.
-with due respect, Kaiser und Konig.
I never argued that Germany should let Russia into Sweden, I simply argued that Claesar's assertion was operating on a questionable assumption.
If you want more information on why Germany may or may not want to allow Russia into Sweden, there are articles that cover that.
OK, I will consider this a misinterpretation issue. I perceived it as Germany refusing to move to Sweden at all, not as merely the reasoning behind it being disputed, and I would be happy if this is not true.
Thanks for the link.

Minister of Silly Walks

#184 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:43 pm
So now is probably a good time for me to come out and say that I am not France. I am in fact Germany. I started off the game acting as France because I figured it was the best way to disrupt a potential DMZ in EC by waffling on it and then committing to a bounce. Not sure who the real France is, or why they did not call me out on acting as France, but that was kinda fun, so thanks I guess.
To Russia: Thanks. I think it is clear that you do not want to fight me. I will allow you into Sweden as a show of my gratitude.

To France: The bounce in Burgundy was a little inevitable with how little press discussed it. No hard feelings there. Given that you now have a fleet in EC, I would like to work with you against England, and I think our positioning will make this work quickly if we can work together here. I will not be moving to Burgundy, I will be moving to Ruhr. I will also be moving to Hol, and I suggest that you move to Bel, to prevent England from snagging it from you. You could also try to use your fleet in EC to try to capture London, or North Sea. Lots of good options for you, and good job on getting to EC.

To England: I originally considered working with you, but it just doesn't make sense given the positioning of the board. You should have bounced in EC. Nothing personal, I just don't think working with you benefits me right now.

To Italy/Austria/Turkey: You all moved south, so I don't have much to say in terms of working with me, but good luck sorting out the Balkans and playing your guessing games.
Oh yes, and this certainly influenced my perception.

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#185 Post by goldfinger0303 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:27 pm
goldfinger0303 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:58 am
e.m.c, I think we have a very different pov on what public press games are.

They're gunboat games with obfuscation allowed, and better coordination to stop a solo.
These words terrify me. Public press games are press games on steroids when you live in North Korea. All negotiations are law*.
*These laws are subject to revision and change by Seller without notice, at any time. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further information.
Depends on the crowd and the game, emc. This situation? Leans heavily towards gunboat. But even in the best of cases, you're very rarely only going to make definitive commitments, because you can get skewered by them. The press should be on steroids, yes. But that's to obfuscate your true message, and hide your intentions in plain sight (or mislead!)

Take for example, my decision to fake being Italy so I could get Austria to do the most inane opening possible. Why on earth would Italy ever advocate for a Blue Water Lepanto - whose whole success is based on tricking RT by a "fake war" - in a public press game? If I were actually Italy I would be on a cross for not following through. But fortunately for me I'm not Italy, and this opening worked quite nicely for me

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#186 Post by goldfinger0303 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:29 am

Wow where'd the crowd go, eh? Haven't heard from some in a while....

Claesar

#187 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:00 am

It was the same last time. People not in the game quickly grow tired of their own trolling and stop posting.

Claesar

#188 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:54 am

As promised, here are my orders for this round:

Albania - Greece
Apulia - Tunis
Black Sea Convoy Constantinople - Armenia
Bulgaria - Rumania
Constantinople - Armenia
Denmark - Sweden
English Channel - Belgium
Ionian Sea Convoy Apulia - Tunis
Kiel - Holland
Munich - Ruhr
North Sea - Holland
Norwegian Sea - Holland
Paris - Burgundy
Serbia Support Albania - Greece
Spain - Portugal
Trieste Support Venice - Tyrolia (read entire post before you comment)
Venice - Tyrolia
Yorkshire - London

I might change some of these based on the press, but I doubt it. If a country doesn't move as I typed above, I promise you it's not being run by me. I didn't include Russia, as we've already established that's not me.

The inexperienced players in this thread will of course stagger at Austria's decision to guard neither home centre. I ask you to at least think about it before you post. Sandbox it. A lone Russian unit, surrounded by Austrian units. The Austrian still has a build. The correct move is to hold.

Austria, I strongly suggest you to follow my advice as laid out here. You were correct to do so last turn. Your position is sound. Disregard the naysayers. Losing Trieste to a hostile Italy is how Austria loses a Press game. You did not, so you're in great shape. I'll help you by sending some suggestions to all other powers.

Russia, I'm going to give you one turn to vacate Galicia by any means necessary. Supporting Rumania is not a valid excuse for staying there. You caused this mess yourself. Turkey bouncing you is not a valid excuse. This is on you. War is on your doorstep and the ball is in your court for one turn only.

Italy, I invite you into Tyrolia. It's a great tactical poisition. Of course you should still build a second fleet (doing anything else as Italy almost always leads to death by Turkey). The Blue Water Lepanto has to be cancelled due to the Russian in Galicia, but the regular Lepanto can just continue if that's your desire though I'd prefer to see a South Eastern Triple (I/A/T).

Turkey, smart move to Black Sea. I consider Rumania and Sevastopol yours. You won't get them this turn, but next turn Austria will cut Galicia to seal the deal. If Italy doesn't Lepanto, you should in my opinion consider ceding a centre to Austria in 1903, but that's up to you and your diplomacy.

Germany, I say again that you'd be making a rookie mistake by not bouncing Russia in Sweden. If Italy turns on Austria, that will lead to a very fast downfall. Statistics prove Germany does much better when Austria does better. I'll try to find a source later.

England, I believe Squigs is telling the truth and is controlling Germany. As a result, it would be wise to bounce him out of Holland if you think you can ally France. Since you're covering London, France will put a fleet in Belgium. This should make them more willing to work together with you, since conquest against you would only net them one extra centre (typically) while Belgium would constantly be under pressure from the German army in Ruhr.

France, nice position!

BobMcBob

#189 Post by BobMcBob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm

I am definitely England, and I say France should get the heck out of the channel, I don't like him being there. I also ask Germany to please join me in the battle against this soogy-croissant waving pig.

Temasek22

#190 Post by Temasek22 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Claesar, without doubt you are a better player than me and probs have a reasoning behind your actions, but you're just way too stubborn right now. Proclaiming Silesia and Galicia DMZs all by yourself, leaving Warsaw nowhere to go other than Ukraine,
while not claiming any country nor making me any promises to incentivise such a move. I have barely any reason to follow what you say now as a result.

In 95% of the game's either Russia or Austria will enter Galicia in S01 and both of us know it, so it's not like I'm doing something barely anyone does like opening Vienna to Bohemia so I can pile on Munich with my other neighbours.

In hindsight my move is the best one too. Opening north wouldn't block England from Norway either as they didn't move to English Channel anyway. While there's absolutely no traction against Germany for a move to Silesia (oh, and that's a Cleasar DMZ too, yay)

Why should I vacate Galicia, when you are advocating for a Swedish bounce and staying in Galicia is the only way to keep hold of both Rumania and Sevastopol? You're being pointlessly harsh on the Russian here, even if misordering to Rumania instead of Black Sea is my fault.

Now that 4 people have already retracted their OG claims (Squigs, TMOSW, gold and Hosu), perhaps you, Claesar should actually claim something to get some negotiating power.

"War on your doorstep"? Huh, bring it on, and prove why I should fear you.

The Minister of Silly Walks

#191 Post by The Minister of Silly Walks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:54 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm
I am definitely England, and I say France should get the heck out of the channel, I don't like him being there. I also ask Germany to please join me in the battle against this soogy-croissant waving pig.
I will be leaving the English Channel, but I won’t tell you which direction I’ll be going.

Germany, I will be moving to Burgundy this round. I know Squigs already said that you are not moving there, but in case Squigs is not Germany I want to be prepared.

Claesar

#192 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:02 pm

Temasek22 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm
Claesar, without doubt you are a better player than me and probs have a reasoning behind your actions, but you're just way too stubborn right now. Proclaiming Silesia and Galicia DMZs all by yourself, leaving Warsaw nowhere to go other than Ukraine,
while not claiming any country nor making me any promises to incentivise such a move. I have barely any reason to follow what you say now as a result.
You never tried to negotiate. All you produced was some blabbering about how both Austria and Russia should always move to Galicia. When I refuted that with arguments, you just repeated yourself without offering any logic or asking for anything in return.
In 95% of the game's either Russia or Austria will enter Galicia in S01 and both of us know it...
Wrong. This is only true in Gunboat, but not in Press games. It's not my fault you're not trying to use the option.
Why should I vacate Galicia, when you are advocating for a Swedish bounce and staying in Galicia is the only way to keep hold of both Rumania and Sevastopol? You're being pointlessly harsh on the Russian here, even if misordering to Rumania instead of Black Sea is my fault.
Because this is just the start. What do you think will happen next year? Austria is supposed to just allow you to sit around in Galicia? Yes, that is the only way for you to hold Rum and Sev for sure this turn. But if you look ahead you'll realise this is your only chance to vacate, because next turn Galicia will be tapped and you'd lose Rumania for sure unless you can cut a deal now.

How am I being pointlessly harsh on someone who can't even be bothered to order their four units correctly in S01? We're not talking rocket science here. If your misorder rate is 25%, you're not a useful ally to anyone.
Now that 4 people have already retracted their OG claims (Squigs, TMOSW, gold and Hosu), perhaps you, Claesar should actually claim something to get some negotiating power.
I need to do no such thing. I'm in this game. If you can't figure out which country I'm playing, others will and use that to their advantage against you.
"War on your doorstep"? Huh, bring it on, and prove why I should fear you.
I can order my units without misorders, so I'm feeling pretty good here. Time to die.

Minister of Silly Walks

#193 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Claesar wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:02 pm

How am I being pointlessly harsh on someone who can't even be bothered to order their four units correctly in S01? We're not talking rocket science here. If your misorder rate is 25%, you're not a useful ally to anyone.
One turn of a single game is an absurdly small sample size, so any statement based on it would be far from accurate. Based on a sample consisting of myself, I can say that 100% of Diplomacy players are also Monty Python fans; we have a vivid proof in this thread that some indeed are, but the numerical value is nowhere near accurate.

I do support the idea of Russia vacating Galicia, though.

-with due respect, Kaiser und Konig

Claesar

#194 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:51 pm

Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:16 pm
One turn of a single game is an absurdly small sample size, so any statement based on it would be far from accurate. ...
Players tend to put most effort into their first turns and start misordering more when they have more units. I agree with you that it's expected Russia's percentage will go up as the game progresses.

Claesar

#195 Post by Claesar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Temasek22 wrote:
In 95% of the game's either Russia or Austria will enter Galicia in S01 and both of us know it,
I checked the last finished 19 games with these parameters:
FP, Classic, Public, DSS, bet 100+

6 of them had a Galicia DMZ. That's 31.6%. I say your claim is wildly inaccurate.

Minister of Silly Walks

#196 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Claesar wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:59 pm
Temasek22 wrote:
In 95% of the game's either Russia or Austria will enter Galicia in S01 and both of us know it,
I checked the last finished 19 games with these parameters:
FP, Classic, Public, DSS, bet 100+

6 of them had a Galicia DMZ. That's 31.6%. I say your claim is wildly inaccurate.
A bit more of statistical grunting from me, but the initial statement did not mention the size of the bet (100+ means the higher-level games, and the overall percentage is likely different), and I am not sure whether or not the criteria of FP and DSS are applicable, as the question was discussed in relation to this particular game; scoring type may or may not affect the situation, and the current game is probably right in between global only and gunboat in terms of press.
Despite all that, I agree that 95% was an exaggeration and that Russia should leave Galicia
-with due respect, Kaiser und Konig.

goldfinger0303
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#197 Post by goldfinger0303 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:55 pm

I, for one, approve of the Russian aquisition of Galicia and do not want them removed, unless they be traveling to Budapest

e.m.c^42

#198 Post by e.m.c^42 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:52 pm
e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:27 pm
goldfinger0303 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:58 am
e.m.c, I think we have a very different pov on what public press games are.

They're gunboat games with obfuscation allowed, and better coordination to stop a solo.
These words terrify me. Public press games are press games on steroids when you live in North Korea. All negotiations are law*.
*These laws are subject to revision and change by Seller without notice, at any time. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further information.
Depends on the crowd and the game, emc. This situation? Leans heavily towards gunboat. But even in the best of cases, you're very rarely only going to make definitive commitments, because you can get skewered by them. The press should be on steroids, yes. But that's to obfuscate your true message, and hide your intentions in plain sight (or mislead!)

Take for example, my decision to fake being Italy so I could get Austria to do the most inane opening possible. Why on earth would Italy ever advocate for a Blue Water Lepanto - whose whole success is based on tricking RT by a "fake war" - in a public press game? If I were actually Italy I would be on a cross for not following through. But fortunately for me I'm not Italy, and this opening worked quite nicely for me
Leers in wifom

I don't think Austria is particularly poorly off, though.

e.m.c^42

#199 Post by e.m.c^42 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:27 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:29 am
Wow where'd the crowd go, eh? Haven't heard from some in a while....
I was just sad that the DMZ gamble did not pay off lol

e.m.c^42

#200 Post by e.m.c^42 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:27 pm

Shit, we can't edit