Forum Public Press Game Thread

If you have a game you want to play on the forum, you can do so here.
Forum rules
This is an area for forum games. Please note that to support mafia games players cannot edit their own posts in this forum. Off Topic threads will be relocated or deleted. Issues taking place in forum games should be dealt with by respective game GMs and escalated to the moderators only if absolutely necessary.
Claesar

Re: Forum Public Press Game Thread

#161 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:58 am

Temasek22 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am
I'm more and more tempted to move to Galicia with every post. I'm almost certain MOSW (or whoever Austria actually is) will move to Galicia, not bouncing is foolish.
Then you'll be at war with me (and probably Austria as I fully expect Austria to respect my DMZ).

Not bouncing is not foolish. Even if you're right (which you're not) and Austria moves to Galicia, that's not a problem for Russia in a Press game. As I said, it would leave Austria completely open to Italy. In fact, at this point it would be foolish for Austria to move to Galicia! Plus, they'd be at war with me if they did.

The fastest way for Austria to die in a Press game is to agree to a bounce in Gal. Russia tells Italy, and the latter walks into Trieste knowing it'll be wide open.
Germany seems cool, and if he lets me in Sweden he is instantly a lot more cooler.
Very small chance of that if you move to Galicia. As I said earlier, any half-decent Germany will bounce you out of Sweden at that point.

Temasek22

#162 Post by Temasek22 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 am

Claesar wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:58 am
Temasek22 wrote:
I'm more and more tempted to move to Galicia with every post. I'm almost certain MOSW (or whoever Austria actually is) will move to Galicia, not bouncing is foolish.
Then you'll be at war with me (and probably Austria as I fully expect Austria to respect my DMZ).

Not bouncing is not foolish. Even if you're right (which you're not) and Austria moves to Galicia, that's not a problem for Russia in a Press game. As I said, it would leave Austria completely open to Italy. In fact, at this point it would be foolish for Austria to move to Galicia! Plus, they'd be at war with me if they did.

The fastest way for Austria to die in a Press game is to agree to a bounce in Gal. Russia tells Italy, and the latter walks into Trieste knowing it'll be wide open.
Germany seems cool, and if he lets me in Sweden he is instantly a lot more cooler.
Very small chance of that if you move to Galicia. As I said earlier, any half-decent Germany will bounce you out of Sweden at that point.
I'm not quite sure why you want me to keep out of Galicia so much when you've had proven success in gunboat as both Russia and Austria bouncing in Galicia, same for my only Austrian solo where I bounced in Galicia. Russia is overextended to start the game and there are only three decent openings for Russia.

1) Most common one - F StP (sc) - GoB , A War - Gal , A Mos - Ukr , F Sev - BlS

2) Northern Opening - F StP (sc) - GoB , A War - Ukr , A Mos - StP , F Sev - BlS

3) Anti-German Opening - F StP (sc) - GoB , A War - Sil , A Mos - Ukr , F Sev - BlS

In openings (1) and (2) Gulf of Bothnia could be swapped with Finland if Germany insists and you trust him. Black Sea is a lot better than Rumania (even if it's a Juggernaut and Turkey moves to Constantinople instead of Black Sea F Rum is absolutely useless vs Austria) An army in Ukraine is absolutely essential in regards to taking Rumania which is the only center a Russian player can get if Germany doesn't let him in Sweden.

In this game, there's no general sentiment against Germany, so (3)'s not a choice, but since England's bouncing France in English Channel (2)'s still a possibility if Austria actually commits to keeping Galicia open I guess.

Claesar

#163 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:56 am

Temasek22 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:37 am
I'm not quite sure why you want me to keep out of Galicia so much when you've had proven success in gunboat as both Russia and Austria bouncing in Galicia, same for my only Austrian solo where I bounced in Galicia.
Gunboat is not press. It's a very common fallacy for Gunboat players to apply their tactics to Press games, and fail miserably as a result. It's not the same game and you shouldn't play the same. I agree that in Gunboat those three are pretty much the only viable sets, and you'll always see me going to Galicia in S01 of a Gunboat game as both Austria and Russia. In press, I rarely do. Because you can talk to each other.

In Press, these opening moves are all very viable too:
4) F StP (sc) - GoB , A War - Ukr , A Mos - Sev , F Sev - BlS
5) F StP (sc) - GoB , A War - Ukr , A Mos - Sev , F Sev - Arm (to blow up the Russian fleet). Also works in high-level GB.
6) F StP (sc) - Fin , A War - Ukr , A Mos - Liv , F Sev - BlS
7) F StP (sc) - GoB , A War - Ukr , A Mos - StP , F Sev - Rum

And that's just the mainstream ones.

Claesar

#164 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:00 am

Temasek22 wrote:
... I'm almost certain MOSW (or whoever Austria actually is) will move to Galicia...
I forgot to add that MOSW has committed to a Blue Water Lepanto, which requires Vie-Tri. That opening moveset cannot afford to move to Galicia. So what you're saying is also factually wrong.

e.m.c^42

#165 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:27 pm

goldfinger0303 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:58 am
e.m.c, I think we have a very different pov on what public press games are.

They're gunboat games with obfuscation allowed, and better coordination to stop a solo.
These words terrify me. Public press games are press games on steroids when you live in North Korea. All negotiations are law*.
*These laws are subject to revision and change by Seller without notice, at any time. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for further information.

TheFlyingBoat

#166 Post by TheFlyingBoat » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:30 pm

And this is why you play public press like a gunboat. Austria got played like a fool by Claesar and goldfinger.

Claesar

#167 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:37 pm

I declare war on Russia! And on Temasek, just in case he's not Russia :x

Germany, any sensible player would not allow Russia to gain three builds here.

Under normal circumstances England would convoy to Norway here, but they seemed to have missed the agreed bounce in EC..

Tomorrow I will post my moves here, but first I'm going to sleep because it's late..

Claesar

#168 Post by Claesar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:38 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:30 pm
And this is why you play public press like a gunboat. Austria got played like a fool by Claesar and goldfinger.
You give up on Austria too soon. They have the high ground here. Russia will not get away with this.

e.m.c^42

#169 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:40 pm

TheFlyingBoat wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:30 pm
And this is why you play public press like a gunboat.
Heavy sighs of pain and rejection

e.m.c^42

#170 Post by e.m.c^42 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:42 pm

It is rather telling though, that England didn't bounce - implying that they weren't online after a certain point, since the DMZ was agreed to early on and it was only after a period of time that a bounce was agreed on.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#171 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:43 pm

So now is probably a good time for me to come out and say that I am not France. I am in fact Germany. I started off the game acting as France because I figured it was the best way to disrupt a potential DMZ in EC by waffling on it and then committing to a bounce. Not sure who the real France is, or why they did not call me out on acting as France, but that was kinda fun, so thanks I guess.
To Russia: Thanks. I think it is clear that you do not want to fight me. I will allow you into Sweden as a show of my gratitude.

To France: The bounce in Burgundy was a little inevitable with how little press discussed it. No hard feelings there. Given that you now have a fleet in EC, I would like to work with you against England, and I think our positioning will make this work quickly if we can work together here. I will not be moving to Burgundy, I will be moving to Ruhr. I will also be moving to Hol, and I suggest that you move to Bel, to prevent England from snagging it from you. You could also try to use your fleet in EC to try to capture London, or North Sea. Lots of good options for you, and good job on getting to EC.

To England: I originally considered working with you, but it just doesn't make sense given the positioning of the board. You should have bounced in EC. Nothing personal, I just don't think working with you benefits me right now.

To Italy/Austria/Turkey: You all moved south, so I don't have much to say in terms of working with me, but good luck sorting out the Balkans and playing your guessing games.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#172 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Claesar wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:37 pm
This is assuming that Galicia makes it into an Austrian home SC

Minister of Silly Walks

#173 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:42 pm
It is rather telling though, that England didn't bounce - implying that they weren't online after a certain point, since the DMZ was agreed to early on and it was only after a period of time that a bounce was agreed on.
Implying there is an opportunity for more impersonators to get in.

Minister of Silly Walks

#174 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:46 pm
Claesar wrote:
And there aren't many reasons to assume the contrary, not to mention that welfare of Austria and Germany is often mutually dependent.
-with due respect, Kaiser und Konig.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#175 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:54 pm

Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Claesar wrote:
And there aren't many reasons to assume the contrary, not to mention that welfare of Austria and Germany is often mutually dependent.
Well, with the positioning of Turkeys units, it may be a better move to use Galicia to support Rum, while using Ukraine to cover Sev. Otherwise Turkey could potentially take Sev or Rum from Turkey. Austria would also use a unit or two to try to cover their home SCs I would hope, meaning for Russia to gain three builds, they would have to use Galicia and correctly guess against Austria, correctly guess in defending against a Turkish attack, and Germany would have to allow them into Sweden. Certainly possible, but I don't think it is likely.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#176 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 pm

In fact, Turkey should move Bla to Sev, Bul to Rum. Austria supports Bul to Rum with Serbia, and uses Trieste to cover one of Vie/Bud.
If Russia plays wrong against that moveset, they could be looking at 0 builds.

Minister of Silly Walks

#177 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:02 pm

Squigs44 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 pm
In fact, Turkey should move Bla to Sev, Bul to Rum. Austria supports Bul to Rum with Serbia, and uses Trieste to cover one of Vie/Bud.
If Russia plays wrong against that moveset, they could be looking at 0 builds.
I don't have much to contest the analysis, but the initial question was "why the hell should Germany let Russia into Sweden?", and that doesn't answer it.

-with sincere respect, Kaiser und Konig.

The Minister of Silly Walks

#178 Post by The Minister of Silly Walks » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm

Well, it turns out that the British PM does not take kindly to the Ministry of Silly Walks giving orders, especially when that ministry is made up entirely of French spies! As you may have guessed by now, I’m not actually Britain, but France. I have no idea who the real England is, but they are in a bit of a tight spot now.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#179 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm

Well the original comment was actually that Germany would not allow Russia to gain three builds. I was trying to show that independent of what Germany did, there was still reasonable doubt that Russia would get three builds.
Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 pm
Squigs44 wrote:
Claesar wrote:
I never argued that Germany should let Russia into Sweden, I simply argued that Claesar's assertion was operating on a questionable assumption.
If you want more information on why Germany may or may not want to allow Russia into Sweden, there are articles that cover that.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#180 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:12 pm

The Minister of Silly Walks wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm
Well, it turns out that the British PM does not take kindly to the Ministry of Silly Walks giving orders, especially when that ministry is made up entirely of French spies! As you may have guessed by now, I’m not actually Britain, but France. I have no idea who the real England is, but they are in a bit of a tight spot now.
Have you read my earlier post and considered my proposal?