Books on playing Diplomacy

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
LuckyCharmQuark
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Books on playing Diplomacy

#1 Post by LuckyCharmQuark » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:20 am

What resources are out there for learning Diplomacy strategy? Books or otherwise.

The Belgian Bulldog

Re: Books on playing Diplomacy

#2 Post by The Belgian Bulldog » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:51 am

I'd say three channels are really useful:
1. the dilomacy archive, including Richard Sharp's 'The game of diplomacy'.
2. the strategy section of this forum, discussing various topics and including breakdown of games such as in the School of War.
3. BrotherBored's blog (aka swordsman3003 on webdip), who often discusses a very specific topic or aspect of diplomacy. Swordsman usually shares a link to his new blog on the strategy section of this forum where players of varying skill react and (dis)agree.

David E. Cohen

#3 Post by David E. Cohen » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:07 pm

The longest running big 'zines on line are the Pouch and Diplomacy World. Start at the first issue of each and plow through.

jay65536

#4 Post by jay65536 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:52 pm

When I was first starting, I found the most useful resources to be diplomacy-archive.com and the Diplomatic Pouch, both previously mentioned. (One thing to know is that sometimes diplomacy-archive will link to a Pouch article; those links are dead at the time I'm writing this, but the articles themselves still exist and you can search for them.)

The biggest thing that will help you is not to take anything you read as gospel. This is especially true of opening strategy articles that attempt to logically conclude that one country must always ally with another or always attack another.

David E. Cohen

#5 Post by David E. Cohen » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:22 pm

Damn straight. Opening theory has its place, but Dip ain't chess. The personalities of the other players and the in-game situation and relationships are far, FAR more important.

Brumark

#6 Post by Brumark » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm

I would echo the Richard Sharpe recommendation. It was what I read when I started and is very helpful to get a grip with the starts and build out from there, especially as it is a whole publication which looks at each country in the same way. Jays point that nothing is absolute is spot on.

David E. Cohen

#8 Post by David E. Cohen » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:42 pm

Not specifically about the game of Diplomacy, but the military classics can greatly improve strategic, tactical and diplomatic (small 'd') thinking. My suggested reading list (some of which are MUCH easier to find than others), in no particular order:

A Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi.

Book of Family Traditions on the Art of War, by Munenori Yagyu.

On War, by Clausewitz.

Strategy, by Liddell-Hart.

The Prince, by Machiavelli.

The Art of War, by Sun Tzu.

The Secret of High Strategy, by Yamamoto Haruyuki.

The Strategikon, by Maurice.

WumbologyDude

#9 Post by WumbologyDude » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 am

Brumark wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm
I would echo the Richard Sharpe recommendation. It was what I read when I started and is very helpful to get a grip with the starts and build out from there, especially as it is a whole publication which looks at each country in the same way. Jays point that nothing is absolute is spot on.
I agree. Richard Sharp's book is a must.
http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/god.htm