Game for a newbie

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Thorium

Game for a newbie

#1 Post by Thorium » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:20 am

Hello. I’m a complete newbie to Diplomacy, and looking to join my first game. I know I’d rather start with a classic game, no gunboating or variants, to learn the basics first. What should I be looking for to select a game to join ?
Thanks.

legaala

Re: Game for a newbie

#2 Post by legaala » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 am

If you have no previous experience from playing Diplomacy I'd suggest a play a couple 1v1s just to get familiar with the game's mechanics. If you head straight into a classic game you might get overwhelmed by how much can and will happen in a single turn

Mercy

#3 Post by Mercy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 am

I recommend joining any game with some form of press. If you have read and understand the rules regarding game mechanics, there is no reason to start with a 1v1 game.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#4 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:41 am

You can also put on one game of your own, and wait for players to gather.
If you wish to play some 1v1 to get used to moves and rules I am willing to play and we can discuss moves as we go to get you familiarised.

Thorium

#5 Post by Thorium » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks for all the input.
I’ve applied for the Apprentice/Mentor program but it seems overtaxed right now, so i think I’m just going to start a new game and jump in the cold water with both my feets. :-D
While the simplified 1 vs 1 looks tempting, i think it’s probably best for me to learn on a traditional / classical configuration,
Unless i find an existing open game with the following settings, I’m thinking of starting one with what would be the best configuration for learning :

- Classical map

- Unranked

- Turns : I understand that it’s going to be overwhelming for me, but i expect that as part of the learning process. Perhaps 2 days turn instead of a 1 day would be more relaxed and allow enough time to think, negociate, and get used to the interface ? More than 2 days would make the game too slow, no ?

- Draw Size Score ? The goal is to get to a solo with the 18 centers, but ( this is where I’m confused ), how and when do the players decide that a solo is unlikely to be achieved and call it a day with a Draw ? Do you put a time limit at the start of the game , like a draw if no solo win after 14 days ?
I ask this because I’d like my first game not to go on for ages. 14 days seems like a decent period to practice without getting discouraged at the length of the game.

Tell me what you think .

PRINCE WILLIAM

#6 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:52 pm

Οver one phase is considered slow, and there are players who will avoid it. One day is not a short time amount for a phase you can handle.
1v1 games are good to learn moves and strategy, there are no negotiations in these to get practice.
As far as I know, there is no time limit and the future of a game is decided on the spot and according to circumstances. It is part of the negotiation too. But it will be obvious if you go for a draw. It is a thing that you will also learn by playing. i.e. if there are three remaining players with 13, 11 and 10 SCs it is time for a draw as if the two decide to kill the third may give one of them the chance to go fro the solo, on the other hand, the one with the 13 may believe he can pull the solo. You get the point.

Thorium

#7 Post by Thorium » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Well , i started a new game. If anyone is interested ‘ http://webdiplomacy.net/gamelistings.ph ... My%20games

Magnetic24

#8 Post by Magnetic24 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:40 pm

Thorium - I think you posted an incorrect link. You linked to your series of games, which is personalized to each user.

Did you mean this game? http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=245632

Thorium

#9 Post by Thorium » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:54 pm

Magnetic24 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:40 pm
Thorium - I think you posted an incorrect link. You linked to your series of games, which is personalized to each user.

Did you mean this game? http://webdiplomacy.net/board.php?gameID=245632
Ah yes, sorry, that’s the correct link. Is there a way to edit my previous post ? I can’t find how to..

Magnetic24

#10 Post by Magnetic24 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Unfortunately, after a short amount of time, there isn't. I think it's only about five minutes or so.