Identity Politics

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Octavious

Re: Identity Politics

#21 Post by Octavious » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:37 am

LeonWalras wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 am
I knew it was going to be Johnathan Pie. That is all.
I knew it was going to be LeonWalras

Telamor

Re: Identity Politics

#22 Post by Telamor » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:55 pm

I've a couple of issues with the video:

1 - 'My generation has never had to fight for anything' before casually mentioning that gay rights has come a long way. The way he phrases it makes it sound like something that just sort of happened and I get that J. Pie satire news guy may never have had to fight for anything but Gay rights in Britain isn't something that just happened. It was fought for tooth and nail in the face of Thatcher's opposition, Public dislike, and the stigma of AIDS. It took blood, sweat, toil, and more to get to a stage where being gay is no longer a reason for your boss to fire you. It's no longer a reason for people to avoid touching you. It's no longer a reason for people to attack you. And while the J. Pie News guy may not have sweated, toiled, or bled to achieve that end it doesn't mean it wasn't a fight.

2 - Why does it matter to J. Pie that the literary award keep a name? I haven't looked into the reasoning behind dropping the name but the logic J. Pie attributes to the award doesn't seem too bizarre. What's wrong with the award body deciding they'd rather not be associated with depictions of 1800s racism?