Trade War _good_

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

Re: Trade War _good_

#41 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:56 am

Well you see that's just the difference between facts and logic.

Kingdroid

#42 Post by Kingdroid » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:59 am

I really hate Trump but I think it's a bit silly how the Dems are attacking Trump over finally making a positive move. He's fine very little positive in his term, but it's kinda like training a dog. Even if he's been bad and tearing up the couch cushions the entire time you've had him, you don't keep scolding him when hes finally good. The dog will never learn right from wrong that way. Leave the flip flopping to the Republicans.

I'm just hoping trump stumbles into another good decision... Maybe even single payer Healthcare like he campaigned about?

And to be clear, I think his trade war and bickering over trade deficits is incredibly stupid. But him swallowing his ego and trying to work with North Korea is a very good move not only for Americans, but for the north Korean people and the world community.

Randomizer

#43 Post by Randomizer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:20 am

It's officially the Korean Conflict just like the Vietnam Conflict. It's those little details that politicians like to use to justify their existence so they don't have to do real work.

"It is clear enough what Trump meant to say, and what he meant to say was hugely important to a great many people. "

Trump says so many weird and false things that what he meant to say isn't clear. This a man who claimed he saw blood streaming down the face of a woman at a party when no one else saw it and photographs of the woman didn't either.

If you can speak clearly than any agreement is useless if each side thinks in means something different. What's Trump going to do, threaten to sue the other countries in a trade war? Keep slapping on more tariffs since he added another 200 billion dollar on China.

Jamiet99uk

#44 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 am

Octavious wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:20 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 pm
ND wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm
Unfortunately, all facts can be twisted to have a political bias. Especially so-called facts relating to politics.
Do you believe it is a fact that there are thousands and thousands of people alive in the USA today whose children were killed fighting in the Korean war? Yes, or no? Either it is a fact that many thousands of such people exist, or it is not.
Why is this detail so important to you? It is clear enough what Trump meant to say, and what he meant to say was hugely important to a great many people. Will the sons and daughters who may finally be able to visit their parents grave give a damn over whether Trump said parents or children? Of course not.

I saw Jeremy Corbyn giving an interview on the future of the NHS the other day, and he started off by saying "Good morning". And do you know what? It wasn't a good morning at all. It was a pretty shit morning. Jeremy Corbyn is a liar!

That ridiculous paragraph above sums up what you sound like :-)
Okay, so you agree what he said was false, but your hunch is that he made a mistake rather than that he was bullshitting. I'm not sure about that, but perhaps. In which case his office could issue a clarification.

Let's turn to the crime rate in Germany. That lie is concerning, wouldn't you agree?

Octavious

#45 Post by Octavious » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Hunch? It's common sense, surely? People make similar mistakes in their speech every day, and you make a mental correction and move on. Traditionally American politicians, indeed most politicians, train themselves to be more precise in how they speak. Trump is not a traditional politician.

In terms of whether he should correct it or not, I think it serves his purposes not to. He occupies some pretty strong territory on the repatriation of servicemen, and if his opponents attack him here he can easily portray them as trivial painting himself in a very good light.

I assume the German comments are about linking crime to asylum seekers again? Yeah, that's not good. The truth about crime statistics are foggy at best, if ours are anything to go by, so it may not actually be a lie. Regardless the intent behind it looks pretty dark.

ksako8

#46 Post by ksako8 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:26 pm

German statistics tend to be very reliable

Randomizer

#47 Post by Randomizer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 am

Considering Trumps admission to Canadian PM Trudeau that he makes up facts, it makes Trump look like he's making it up again. Trump's followers believe anything no matter how unbelievable.

Or as Reagan said, "There you go again." Or "Trust, but verify."

Incrementalist

#48 Post by Incrementalist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:21 am

Randomizer wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 am
Trump's followers believe anything no matter how unbelievable.
People "believe" what is in their interests to believe. Conservatives will reinforce and promulgate statements like "Obama was born in Kenya" for the simple reason that it reduces his ability to become President. It didn't work, but that was the dynamic. Neoliberal Democrats "believe" that global capitalism is a universal benefit, because it works for them specifically.

The job of debunking is always left to the opposing side.

Jamiet99uk

#49 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Trade wars are easy to win...

Harley-Davidson to make more motorcycles outside the US - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44604280

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#50 Post by ssorenn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Last edited by ssorenn on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#51 Post by ssorenn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 pm

ssorenn wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 pm
Free trade is very much a modern conservative pillar - what it used to be hundreds of years ago is pretty irrelevant. To me, this pretty much undermines any good the tax cuts will do (if this keeps escalating)
While in the short term, it may counterbalance the tax cuts, long term, evening play playing field will be a huge bonus to our economy. Also will reignite manufacturing at home. Like him or hate him, his economic policies are working. Unemployment is at historic lows in all classes including African/American and women. GDP is clicking on all cylinders and inflation is under control ——seems like winning to me.
[/quote]

Randomizer

#52 Post by Randomizer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 am

ssorenn wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 pm
While in the short term, it may counterbalance the tax cuts, long term, evening play playing field will be a huge bonus to our economy. Also will reignite manufacturing at home. Like him or hate him, his economic policies are working. Unemployment is at historic lows in all classes including African/American and women. GDP is clicking on all cylinders and inflation is under control ——seems like winning to me.
If all of the above were true it would be good, however:

Manufacturing is shifting even more abroad for cheap labor and Trump's family has been doing this for decades to build up profits at the expense of the US labor force.

The economics policy that is working is the federal reserve and its keeping interest rates at historic lows for years and only slowly increasing them. Cheap money always improves the economy since businesses can borrow cheaply. Trump has no control of this. His trade war is going to drive up the costs of raw materials and finished goods from the cheap Asian countries.

Trump's claims of saving American jobs is fake news. The companies already had decided to keep the jobs in the US before he was elected or after the announcements they laid off workers anyway and moved the jobs to other countries. Trump doesn't even employ US workers when he can get H-1b foreign workers for Mar-a-lago at lower wages.

Inflation is officially under control because companies are slow to raise prices to avoid losing customers in a bad economy. If you look at how inflation is calculated, the past few years have artificially lowered the rate by replacing items with lower cost equivalents. Use cheaper chicken for higher priced beef from the previous year's basket of goods. Food and energy have dropped a few years ago, but both are now rising and are left out of some inflation calculations.

Unemployment is down, but how much is due to people no longer looking for work that are no longer being counted?

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#53 Post by ssorenn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:33 am

Randomizer wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:04 am
ssorenn wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:45 pm
If all of the above were true it would be good, however:

Manufacturing is shifting even more abroad for cheap labor and Trump's family has been doing this for decades to build up profits at the expense of the US labor force.

The economics policy that is working is the federal reserve and its keeping interest rates at historic lows for years and only slowly increasing them. Cheap money always improves the economy since businesses can borrow cheaply. Trump has no control of this. His trade war is going to drive up the costs of raw materials and finished goods from the cheap Asian countries.

Trump's claims of saving American jobs is fake news. The companies already had decided to keep the jobs in the US before he was elected or after the announcements they laid off workers anyway and moved the jobs to other countries. Trump doesn't even employ US workers when he can get H-1b foreign workers for Mar-a-lago at lower wages.

Inflation is officially under control because companies are slow to raise prices to avoid losing customers in a bad economy. If you look at how inflation is calculated, the past few years have artificially lowered the rate by replacing items with lower cost equivalents. Use cheaper chicken for higher priced beef from the previous year's basket of goods. Food and energy have dropped a few years ago, but both are now rising and are left out of some inflation calculations.

Unemployment is down, but how much is due to people no longer looking for work that are no longer being counted?
Manufacturing is a dying breed. Automation is the future. Besides manufacturers are a\t their highest level in years. Not sure where you come up with your info.

Ecomonic -policy has rates moving higher for a two years. The fed has been trying to create inflation for a decade without success until this president drove the ship. Again you are incorrect.

Our economy is booming. You are completely and utterly wrong.

While a lot of people did drop from the labor force, it has regained traction and we are on the cusp of a surplus of job. There’s more full time employment then in decades and some sectors can’t even offer enough incentives to find help.

Go back to school.

Randomizer

#54 Post by Randomizer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:09 am

In graduate school I was asked to be an economics teaching assistant, but as I told an economics major I wasn't going to take a pay cut.

As a successful stock market investor for the last 30 years, I spend part of almost every day researching companies and keeping up on the news. Besides we got a president with an MBA from Wharton who has driven several businesses into bankruptcy and being sold off. He's also being taken to court in a few countries for how he's run some of his remaining businesses.

The Japanese found out back in the 1980s that automation isn't the future if you can't find jobs for the workers that are being replaced. No workers means that you don't have consumers with money to buy those products. The US under Clinton found that retraining programs to find new jobs for those displaced workers didn't work either. Most of those workers found that they were now unemployed in new fields.

We've got an increase in some employment because the minimum wage has gone up to a level where low end jobs are getting filled and not facing turn over. There have always been some sectors that can't find workers because there are a lack of qualified workers in them. That's due to training shortages and the lack of applicants that want to move to where the jobs are located.

It's only been in the last few months that jobs overall have exceeded applicants. Before that it hasn't been true. The only sector that Trump's improved is for lawyers. It sure isn't the government sector since workers have been leaving or fired ever since he's taken over.

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#55 Post by ssorenn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:13 am

A successful stock market investor over the last 30 years. Wow. -eats his popcorn- can’t wait for the encore. All you had to do over 30 years is buy and hold, and you would be successful. So, i call bullshit.

ssorenn
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#56 Post by ssorenn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:17 am

@randomizer. So, tell me what it is that you think is successful?

Incrementalist

#57 Post by Incrementalist » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:45 am

ssorenn wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:13 am
All you had to do over 30 years is buy and hold, and you would be successful.
"Get long and stay long" is my modus operandi.

Randomizer

#58 Post by Randomizer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm

ssorenn wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:13 am
A successful stock market investor over the last 30 years. Wow. -eats his popcorn- can’t wait for the encore. All you had to do over 30 years is buy and hold, and you would be successful. So, i call bullshit.
If that were true there wouldn't be so many failed professional fund managers. Because even index funds fail if not done right to compensate for trading costs and taxes. While buy and hold used to be a winning strategy, you have to buy the right things. Just ask Warren Buffet about all the companies he bought that fundamentally should have worked, but failed like Berkshire Hathaway (closed the company and kept the name), Dexter Shoe, any airline stock he held, ….

Besides it only works if your making money with a job so you can wait on your investments or your investments pay enough so you wait out market cycles and not be forced to sell. I've had at least 6 stocks taken away from me before I got decent profits because another company acquired them because they wanted them for the same reasons I bought them first.

Successful is defined as assets increase so I have more money every year and my biggest decision is what to spend my excess money from profits on each year. I make enough on dividends and interest that my job is testing computer games for for free games (that pays less in a year than a fast food worker makes in two hours).

Randomizer

#59 Post by Randomizer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Berkshire Hathaway is a great example of buy and hold to get rich. However it pays no dividend so if you are living off it, then you need to sell some of the principle every few years for income and pay taxes. Just look at Buffet's children who each sold their shares that Warren gave them.

Kingdroid

#60 Post by Kingdroid » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:50 pm

huh, didn't really take ssoren for a big trump guy. must've misread something somewhere