Trade War _good_

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Jamiet99uk

Re: Trade War _good_

#21 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:05 pm
Everybody lies. Quite how someone can claim to be a diplomacy player and fail to understand this basic fact is beyond me.
Yeah but the lies he tells are so *pointless* and so easily exposed. Like, in this case, he claimed that "thousands" of parents of US soldiers killed in the Korean war had written to him. This is close to impossible, since if you're the parent of a Korean War veteran, you'd be over 100. There aren't likely to be thousands of them still alive.

Why make up shit like this? It demeans the office of the president.

Octavious

#22 Post by Octavious » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:59 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 pm
Octavious wrote:
Everybody lies. Quite how someone can claim to be a diplomacy player and fail to understand this basic fact is beyond me.
Yeah but the lies he tells are so *pointless* and so easily exposed. Like, in this case, he claimed that "thousands" of parents of US soldiers killed in the Korean war had written to him. This is close to impossible, since if you're the parent of a Korean War veteran, you'd be over 100. There aren't likely to be thousands of them still alive.

That's the lie that's upsetting you?!?

Come on, Jamie, there's no malice in that. Trump is not precise in his speech, and never has been. Whether that's intentional or not I have no idea, but the meaning behind the words seems clear enough. There are many deceased servicemen from the US in Korea (truth). They will have many friends and family alive today in the USA (truth). Many of these people will deeply appreciate these deceased servicemen being repatriated (truth).

This is the truth that matters. Why get excited by Trump fluffing the details? Who gives a shit if Trump said parents instead of sons and daughters? Who gives a shit how many wrote to Trump personally?

My grandad fought in Korea, and he lost mates out there. If Trump helps bring some of the fallen back then more power to his elbow, and shame on you for kicking up a stink over trivial crap.

ksako8

#23 Post by ksako8 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:59 pm
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:29 pm
Octavious wrote:

That's the lie that's upsetting you?!?

Come on, Jamie, there's no malice in that. Trump is not precise in his speech, and never has been. Whether that's intentional or not I have no idea, but the meaning behind the words seems clear enough. There are many deceased servicemen from the US in Korea (truth). They will have many friends and family alive today in the USA (truth). Many of these people will deeply appreciate these deceased servicemen being repatriated (truth).

This is the truth that matters. Why get excited by Trump fluffing the details? Who gives a shit if Trump said parents instead of sons and daughters? Who gives a shit how many wrote to Trump personally?

My grandad fought in Korea, and he lost mates out there. If Trump helps bring some of the fallen back then more power to his elbow, and shame on you for kicking up a stink over trivial crap.
The president of the USA tells clear lies, and you have no problem with that?

ND

#24 Post by ND » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 pm

I've never seen Trump lie. It's a good thing he is negotiating peace without giving away anything to Kim. Kim is in fact giving up everything to us. Obama gave the Iranians billions of dollars and Trump gave North Korea nothing.

Also yeah, we are getting the remains of our soldiers back. The families are happy. That is not a lie.

I hope Trump gets a peace prize because he deserves it. Unlike Obama.

Octavious

#25 Post by Octavious » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:24 pm

ksako8 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm
The president of the USA tells clear lies, and you have no problem with that?
That particular lie? None whatsoever as it seems far more likely to be a stumble over words than an attempt to deceive. Other lies, yes I do have a problem. But no more so than the lies Obama told (how many times did he say he was going to shut Guantanamo?) or the lies Bush told or the lies Clinton told.

All presidents lie. You must judge them by their actions on a case by case basis, and in this particular case I see very little of substance by which to condemn Trump, and much to back him on.

Jamiet99uk

#26 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 pm

ND wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 pm
I've never seen Trump lie.
I have just provided a specific example.

ND

#27 Post by ND » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 pm

My point is that it's Jamie's opinion that Trump lies/lied. Take the thing about Trump saying 'thousands of parents' are happy that the remains of the US servicemen killed in Korea are being returned. Trump has a hyperbolic way of speaking. I don't see this as a lie. I see it as truth, but in Trump's mind he is just buffing it up a bit. I don't consider that a lie at all. It's just his way of speaking and to understand Trump you have to understand his mannerisms and ways of communicating.

Randomizer

#28 Post by Randomizer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:50 am

ND wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 pm
I've never seen Trump lie.
Do you wear a mask to keep your eyes covered or do you look away when Trump talks? Because Trump wrote about lying as a normal way of doing business and has been filmed finally admitting to making up facts.

Trump admits to lying:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... ent=safari

Web site just to keep track of Trump's lies because there are so many:
http://projects.thestar.com/donald-trump-fact-check/

CroakandDagger

#29 Post by CroakandDagger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:23 pm

Honestly, the Media goes over everything Trump ever says with a fine-tooth comb and claims so many things he says are not true (even when they demonstrably are) that you can hardly blame his supporters for growing to dismiss claims that he's a liar out of hand.

It's like the classic tale of the boy who cried wolf. If the reporters of the left-wing media never give him any credit for anything, if he ever actually does something bad and they talk about it nobody is going to believe them.

Randomizer

#30 Post by Randomizer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm

While it's true Trump has said some true statements, he's also contradicted himself on his previous true statements. Worse when shown recordings of the original statements he claims he never said them.

Jamiet99uk

#31 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:10 pm

CroakandDagger wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:23 pm
Honestly, the Media goes over everything Trump ever says with a fine-tooth comb and claims so many things he says are not true (even when they demonstrably are) that you can hardly blame his supporters for growing to dismiss claims that he's a liar out of hand.

It's like the classic tale of the boy who cried wolf. If the reporters of the left-wing media never give him any credit for anything, if he ever actually does something bad and they talk about it nobody is going to believe them.
Except in this case, Trump is the boy crying wolf. He tells so many lies that when he occasionally gets something right, it's hard to notice.

Jamiet99uk

#32 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:14 pm

ND wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:32 pm
My point is that it's Jamie's opinion that Trump lies/lied.
No. This is not a matter of opinion. Facts are facts. Some things are either true or not true.

If I say "the sun is made out of cheese" or "Detroit is the capital city of the USA" or "there are 9 letters in ND's username", these are verifiably false statements. If I said "well, it's my opinion those things are true" that wouldn't matter for shit. They would not be true.

Donald Trump regularly says things that are verifiably false, and which he knows are verifiably false. Making statements you know to be false is called lying. That is what he does. It is not a matter of opinion.

Jamiet99uk

#33 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:18 pm

Likewise in this case, Donald Trump said that "thousands and thousands" of people who had children killed in the Korean war had written to him.

Either it is true that there are still over 2,000 people alive, who are the parents of people who fought and died in the Korean war, *and* that 2,000 or more of those people wrote to Donald Trump, OR, it is false. If it is false, then he was lying.

ND, do you think it is likely that Trump received letters from over 2,000 living people whose children were killed over 65 years ago in the Korean war?

Jamiet99uk

Lying liars who tell lies should not be the leaders of major nations

#34 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Here is another recent example of Trump lying, this time about the crime rate in Germany, to make a spurious point about immigration:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... me-germany

ND

#35 Post by ND » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Unfortunately, all facts can be twisted to have a political bias. Especially so-called facts relating to politics.

CroakandDagger

#36 Post by CroakandDagger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:10 pm
Except in this case, Trump is the boy crying wolf. He tells so many lies that when he occasionally gets something right, it's hard to notice.
Yes, it probably looks that way to you.

Jamiet99uk

#37 Post by Jamiet99uk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 pm

ND wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm
Unfortunately, all facts can be twisted to have a political bias. Especially so-called facts relating to politics.
Do you believe it is a fact that there are thousands and thousands of people alive in the USA today whose children were killed fighting in the Korean war? Yes, or no? Either it is a fact that many thousands of such people exist, or it is not.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#38 Post by TrPrado » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 am

The Korean War has yet to officially end.

Octavious

#39 Post by Octavious » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:20 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:45 pm
ND wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 pm
Do you believe it is a fact that there are thousands and thousands of people alive in the USA today whose children were killed fighting in the Korean war? Yes, or no? Either it is a fact that many thousands of such people exist, or it is not.
Why is this detail so important to you? It is clear enough what Trump meant to say, and what he meant to say was hugely important to a great many people. Will the sons and daughters who may finally be able to visit their parents grave give a damn over whether Trump said parents or children? Of course not.

I saw Jeremy Corbyn giving an interview on the future of the NHS the other day, and he started off by saying "Good morning". And do you know what? It wasn't a good morning at all. It was a pretty shit morning. Jeremy Corbyn is a liar!

That ridiculous paragraph above sums up what you sound like :-)

Octavious

#40 Post by Octavious » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:28 am

TrPrado wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:05 am
The Korean War has yet to officially end.
And tomatoes are a fruit and a peanut isn't a nut.

Sometimes the truth is unhelpful. In a very real sense the war ended a long time ago.

It is odd how politics deals with war, though. Most of the time politicians go out of their way to pretend that something that very obviously is a war isn't one, usually to get around UN rules. I think this is the only case where something that very obviously isn't a war officially is.