Seeking Migrants.. Australia welcomes you

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Seeking Migrants.. Australia welcomes you

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon May 07, 2018 3:13 am

In addition to our generous humanitarian refugee resettlement programs ( per capita we're providing more refugees with a safe home than many other nations, although our treatment of those who come by boat without permission is harsh ) we are seeking Migrants with the skills we need to help our economy grow.
If you have tertiary qualifications and want to live in a stable democracy with wonderful opportunities to have a good lifestyle, raise a family with virtually no risk of losing children in a gun massacre at their school or elsewhere, start a business, then please consider migrating to Australia.

Loads of sunshine, thousands of kilometres of beautiful beaches, freedom of religious, political & artistic expression​, good public education and health services ... Australia has a lot to offer migrants.

Don't delay !!! Get your application in NOW !!! Contact an Australian Embassy or Consulate office for information. Join ATC, Smokey Gem & other WebDiplomacy luminaries in Australia. Play F2F Diplomacy after a morning at the beach or on the golf course ( We love our sports and there are heaps of public golf courses and other sporting facilities )

We have a vibrant arts scene, great theatre and film opportunities, excellent restaurants and fantastic local wine industry.

Tired of living in a nation awash with guns and failing public education and health services ? Get out NOW !!! Come to Australia.

Telamor

Re: Seeking Migrants.. Australia welcomes you

#2 Post by Telamor » Mon May 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Do we Poms get a discount on visiting? Given that we won't be able to invade Alicante every summer anymore I guess we'll have to find somewhere else to get pissed off our tits and drink till we throw up and Oz sounds sunny enough.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon May 07, 2018 3:12 pm

That's what the Barmy Army more or less do each four years when they visit for an Ashes Test Cricket series.
On a more serious note, most migrants from the United Kingdom manage the move here quite well. So if you're a health services professional, engineer, scientist, Police Force member as well as many other professions or Trades, there are lots of career opportunities for you in Australia. Plus the opportunities to raise a family are great.
And like my much missed pommy "mate" ( pancreatic cancer ), bring a classic pommy car or motorbike with you if you can. Alex bought an E~type Jaguar to Australia & just loved to go for a spin on a sunny day.

Incrementalist

#4 Post by Incrementalist » Tue May 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Seriously "Don't delay !!!" though... you lose eligibility points the older you get, and if you're over 45, even the Skilled Visa is unavailable.

Australia (like everyplace else) prefers to have people educated on some other country's dime paying taxes for a full career there, rather than half a career.

MajorMitchell

#5 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:20 pm

We also educate large numbers of foreign students at both secondary and tertiary level. Yes they pay fees up front, but there is an element of Australian taxpayer funded support in establishing University infrastructure to have the capacity to give so many foreign students a tertiary education.
For a lot of foreign students, it's also a pathway to Australian citizenship.

ND

#6 Post by ND » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 pm

Yeah, I fully support this Major. This is absolutely fine. I hope all the migrants and migrant workers that would have come to America go to Australia instead. Wonderful idea.

Incrementalist

#7 Post by Incrementalist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:40 am

Is it still Australia's policy to intercept migrants arriving by boat and ship them to remote islands under Papua New Guinea's administration?

Octavious

#8 Post by Octavious » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:21 pm

I believe so. Australia's immigration policy seems primarily geared to exploiting the education systems of poorer nations who can ill afford to lose their highly educated citizens.

ND

#9 Post by ND » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:58 pm

Yeah, that is what Australia does. Pretty inhumane if you ask me. Not good.

Incrementalist

#10 Post by Incrementalist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:04 pm

Interesting recent article on the subject:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2018/04/30/the ... gee-gulag/
As Australia withdraws from its resettlement obligations in the region, it has become clear that the purpose of stopping the boats is not to save lives at sea but to shift Australia’s responsibility for protecting asylum seekers to other countries. Deterrence does not save lives; it only stops people from drowning in waters near Australia.
Australia seems to have presaged the recent American policy of trying to deter refugees through harsh treatment on arrival. The eyewash is that it only applies to people arriving by boat; but considering Australia is an island, this would be a pretty likely route for people trying to arrive by any means necessary.

MajorMitchell

#11 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 am

Does the article referred to discuss the way several nations to the North of Australia were for many years happy to "help boats to refuel, do repairs and then continue on towards Australia" ? So rather than accept responsibility themselves, they were active in making it someone else's (Australia's) problems ?
I'm not at all comfortable with the detention of children in offshore detention camps, or the wicked way Conservatives in Australia have used refugees & the refugee issues for selfish, ideological and often racist reasons

Incrementalist

#12 Post by Incrementalist » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:40 pm

MajorMitchell wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 am
Does the article referred to discuss the way several nations to the North of Australia were for many years happy to "help boats to refuel, do repairs and then continue on towards Australia" ?
What are these countries supposed to do, force migrants to stay when they want to continue on? Mexico de-facto allows migrants from farther south to pass through to the US; Turkey does the same with Syrian migrants to the EU.
MajorMitchell wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:55 am
So rather than accept responsibility themselves
They don't have a responsibility to offer asylum to people who have not asked for it.

The reality is migrants of all kinds want to arrive in the most favorable destination possible, rather than the first available. Australia's policy of shipping migrants to undeveloped parts of neighboring countries is akin to the US shipping Central Americans arriving via Mexico to a third country, which not even the Trump administration is doing.

I like Australia, but to say its immigration policy is morally superior to the US is a real stretch.

MajorMitchell

#13 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:45 pm

I'd disagree with the proposition in the article that Australia is withdrawing from our "resettlement responsibilities". Per capita, our refugee resettlement programs are amongst the most generous of all nations, we're well in the top ten nations & probably in the top five.
I'm not a supporter of offshore detention, but we simply cannot run high immigration, also have a generous reference resettlement programs for refugees stuck in refugee camps AND let an unrestricted flow of victims of criminal people smuggling gangs continue. That's where we found ourselves and it was simply unsustainable.

I also note the way the behaviour of transit countries when they become actively complicit in "making it someone else's problem" seems to be quite acceptable. There is some validity in the argument that a person who flees real dangers in their home country to what becomes a "transit country", or passes through several "transit countries" then becomes an "economic refugee" because they want to continue on to a more attractive destination. If the bad guys are in, for example Syria and a refugee makes it from there via several countries to Indonesia, it's a stretch to suggest that the bad guys who were a threat several thousands of kilometres & several countries away can still be regarded as a continuing threat.

I'm also a bit sceptical about people who know their country is a dangerous, strife ridden environment, and who choose to have children, and then declare that they have to leave as refugees to "save their children". Part of me believes that they should have stepped up, chosen not to have children, and worked towards solving the problems within their home country.
Every year millions of children are born to the most irresponsible parents imho. With what ? Nine billion plus humans on this Earth, are humans a more valuable life form than all others on the planet ?
I can think of numerous animal species I actually regard as being of probable greater value than humans, because they are such endangered species.

MajorMitchell

#14 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:05 pm

@Incrementalist.. Name another nation in the same region as Australia, apart from New Zealand, that has a more generous refugee resettlement program, per capita than Australia...
China ? An extremely wealthy nation, how's it's performance with international refugees ?
Off you go..

Incrementalist

#15 Post by Incrementalist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:10 am

China, like most countries, renders itself inhospitable to refugees because it doesn't want any to show up.

Your point would be well taken if your original post were comparing Australia to China, but it pretty clearly was comparing Australia to the US. Both countries are obviously very hospitable for migrants arriving with skills and education acquired from their home country. But the US has only recently adopted the same kind of "asylum deterrence" that Australia has been doing for years.

At this point neither is particularly welcoming to migrants, except the kind that arrive with skills and money, who are generally welcome everywhere.

MajorMitchell

#16 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:28 pm

If you check my original post dearest Incrementalist, you will note that the brief comment that implied a comparison between Australia and the USA specifically mentioned a nation awash with guns and failing public health and education services. .So it was on those things that a comparison was made by me. I made NO comparison based on refugee policies.
You've chosen that issue to make a comparison, NOT ME. I've responded, but I didn't initiate a comparison of refugee treatment policies.
So, dearest Incrementalist, please do not misrepresent my statements.

Incrementalist

#17 Post by Incrementalist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 pm

It makes no sense to cherry-pick certain aspects of the migrant experience while ignoring others when making a broad comparison between two countries’ policies. I expanded the basis of comparison because there were other relevant aspects.