Election UK - Those results in full!

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Octavious

Election UK - Those results in full!

#1 Post by Octavious » Fri May 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Sod all happened.

Octavious

Re: Election UK - Those results in full!

#2 Post by Octavious » Fri May 04, 2018 12:25 pm

So what message has the public given the British Partys? In a nutshell it can be eloquently by that ever popular modern folk and football song...

"You're shit, and you know you are"

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 pm

Seriously, though. Do political threads not get space on the homepage anymore?

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Fri May 04, 2018 3:09 pm

Test...

leon1122

#5 Post by leon1122 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:59 am

The UK is a shithole country.

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Sat May 05, 2018 11:49 am

Better to live in a shithole country than to be a tit

Telamor

#7 Post by Telamor » Sun May 06, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks for your input Leon! I was actually sat here wondering exactly what your opinion on the UK was! Have you considered making a thread where you express your opinion on every nation on the planet for ease of access? Because I'm sure I can't have been the only one on the forum waiting desperately to hear what you think about their country.

Telamor

#8 Post by Telamor » Mon May 07, 2018 12:25 pm

There were a few interesting developments, UKIP collapsing, Labour failing to take London, and the Lib Dems picking up some new seats.

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm

UKIP's collapse is old news, though. They did the exact same thing in the local elections in 2017, and nothing has changed since. It would be much more of a story if they'd somehow turned things around and only lost half their seats... or even only lost 3/4 of them.

Same with the Lib Dems, really. They're recovering slightly (and only slightly) in traditional Lib Dem strongholds. Considering how dismal Labour and the Tories have been lately they should be disappointed.

As for Labour, I think it was largely a case of an abysmal failure to manage expectations. They did well in London considering how keen they've been on alienating the Jewish vote. Not since Mosley left the Labour Party to form the British Union of Fascists have they looked as dodgy. Still, they've underperformed elsewhere. We all know how grim May looks when she thinks things have gone badly, and the grin on her face is a clear sign of how much better it went than she feared it might.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by peterlund » Fri May 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Telamor wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:25 pm
There were a few interesting developments, UKIP collapsing, Labour failing to take London, and the Lib Dems picking up some new seats.
Well I do not give a shit about that. Tell me when you are rejoining the EU and the world community. Then I will start listening. Promise!

Octavious

#11 Post by Octavious » Fri May 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Would that be the EU in which the old style far right are uniting with Trump style populists to rule Italy? Frankly the EU is rapidly losing its appeal.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#12 Post by peterlund » Fri May 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Yes maybe, but we are getting tired of you on the isles too, so I guess this divorce is good for both of us. Good luck and good bye! I think you will need it!

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#13 Post by StevenC. » Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm

peterlund wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:38 pm
Yes maybe, but we are getting tired of you on the isles too, so I guess this divorce is good for both of us. Good luck and good bye! I think you will need it!

*Nigel Farage laughing heartily in the background intensifies*

Telamor

#14 Post by Telamor » Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Yeah I imagine Farage will be thrilled when we chuck out our labour regulations, cut corporation tax, and scrap the welfare state and turn Britain into a low reg. Haven for the super rich.

Octavious

#15 Post by Octavious » Fri May 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Telamor wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 pm
Yeah I imagine Farage will be thrilled when we chuck out our labour regulations, cut corporation tax, and scrap the welfare state and turn Britain into a low reg. Haven for the super rich.
You have a low opinion of the British people, Telamor. Not only is there no desire to do that in the Conservative Party, but even if there was and they achieved it the public would quickly vote them out and Labour would reverse the policies. There is literally no danger whatsoever of what you've suggested happening.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#16 Post by peterlund » Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:41 pm
Not only is there no desire to do that in the Conservative Party,
Desire or not. The conservative are so stupid so they do not realize the consequences of the shit they are doing. Vote LibDem! The LibDem have the few smart politicians in the UK. The rest is a joke!
Octavious wrote:
but even if there was and they achieved it the public would quickly vote them out and Labour would reverse the policies. There is literally no danger whatsoever of what you've suggested happening.
Well it does not matter much if Labour replaces the Tories. You are OUT IN THE COLD and Telamor is completely right. For you to be attractive, you must indulge in social dumping and low taxes for the rich. And this also Labour need to do in a fringe country on the outskirts of the Economic engine and free trade market in the EU.

Incrementalist

#17 Post by Incrementalist » Sat May 12, 2018 1:32 am

peterlund wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm
...And this also Labour need to do in a fringe country on the outskirts of the Economic engine and free trade market in the EU.
Maximizing economic efficiency isn't the highest priority of liberal democracy.

It isn't even the highest priority of the EU vis-à-vis the UK. The remaining members of the EU are likely to craft policies to punish the UK for leaving, even if it comes at a net economic cost to everyone. Free trade takes a backseat to politics all around.

Octavious

#18 Post by Octavious » Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am

Incrementalist wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:32 am
peterlund wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:00 pm
...And this also Labour need to do in a fringe country on the outskirts of the Economic engine and free trade market in the EU.

It isn't even the highest priority of the EU vis-à-vis the UK. The remaining members of the EU are likely to craft policies to punish the UK for leaving, even if it comes at a net economic cost to everyone. Free trade takes a backseat to politics all around.
If the EU turns out to be so petty then that would confirm beyond doubt that the British public's decision to leave was correct, but I don't actually think we'll see much of that. Besides which the EU should be more focused on the civil war going on inside it's borders. It has never been so internally divided. Mattarella's call for irreversible unity was chilling.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#19 Post by peterlund » Sun May 13, 2018 12:00 am

Incrementalist wrote:
You are right. It is not highest priority but it is a certain positive side-effect of Liberal Democracy.
Incrementalist wrote:
I think you are wrong. People in the UK, overestimates their own importance heavily all the time. We basically don't give a shit from an economic point of view of their dumb-dumber-dumbest-nationalistic points of view. I do not see any reason to punish them for being as stupid as they are. We can still trade with them, but they should not come to the "negotiation" table and expect to negotiate with us. EU will tell them what benefits they can get in form of free-trade with EU. And they will need to accept what they are told, because it will be hugely important for them to get an agreement, but just some minor side notes for EU.

Telamor

#20 Post by Telamor » Sun May 13, 2018 12:48 am

Octavious wrote:
Telamor wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:21 pm
You have a low opinion of the British people, Telamor. Not only is there no desire to do that in the Conservative Party, but even if there was and they achieved it the public would quickly vote them out and Labour would reverse the policies. There is literally no danger whatsoever of what you've suggested happening.
Most of the Neo-cons in the Tory party already want that. Labour regulations distort the market preventing the invisible hand distributing all things justly. The sad thing is that a large chunk of Britain will support the changes, the Tories will blame it on EU, claim they're out to stop the UK succeeding and that these cuts to regulations are the EU's fault and people will believe them. The rhetoric is already in place 'project fear', 'liberal elite', 'traitor' all these delightful terms that have been rolled out over the past few years are ideal for scapegoating the economic failings of Brexit.

That's without even mentioning the drubbing we're going to get in any free trade negotiations with nations like China or India. I don't want to think about the sort of deregulation the US might force on us in exchange for a deal.