It's Okay To Be White

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Stressedlines

Re: It's Okay To Be White

#21 Post by Stressedlines » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:42 pm

I am half Italian, and I would call my family white...lol

Blonde hair, blue yes, red hair blue eyes,. Brown hair blue eyes, brown hair brown hair brown eyes. These are the combos of the 5 kids (two have red hair and blue eyes)

I dont get caught up in the race talk, but even within Italy (like India) they have names for each group. Sicilians occupy the lowest rung of that totem pole, for whatever reason

President Eden

#22 Post by President Eden » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:33 pm

CroakandDagger wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm
Sure, but Italians, French and Greeks can hardly be called white, now can they?
I thought about making this joke, but
1) wrong audience
2) I’m American and while my specific family has a relatively unmixed bloodline, Americans generally have no room to purity spiral about whiteness lol...

CroakandDagger

#23 Post by CroakandDagger » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:40 pm

What do you mean, "Joke"?

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#24 Post by CommanderByron » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 pm

As a white person to not acknowledge that you get even a marginal amount of preferential treatment in the world is just ignorant or at best oblivious.

I have literally seen how differently I am treated because the color of my skin compared to my black and brown brothers. I’ve seen my friends stopped by the cops for being suspicious only to have me walk up and ask one of my friends what’s up and have the cop decide because a white guy is present it’s all good.

I’ve had to report people to my company for exercising prejudice in hiring. I’ve seen a manager go through applications and remove all the ones he “couldn’t pronounce” before even reading their resumes or qualifications.

“Heather” “Anthony” “Tristen” and “Elizabeth” will NEVER experience culture prejudice because their name is “Huang” “Aniluze” “Tyrique” or “Eduardo”

I’ve watched people cross the street to avoid black men. Just because they are black. I’ve seen those same people cross back when they pass those black men.

I’ve seen how our judicial system favors the higher classes and whites and is built to keep minorities oppressed. The viscous cycle of crime, failed education systems, and violence that our “systems” exacerbate.

It’s not an OPINION that white people have privledge. It’s a fact.

CroakandDagger

#25 Post by CroakandDagger » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Let's be real here, you have to admit that Eduardo is pretty difficult to pronounce.

Durga

#26 Post by Durga » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:11 am

CroakandDagger wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 pm
Let's be real here, you have to admit that Eduardo is pretty difficult to pronounce.
Can you quit the Internet? Thanks

Ezio

#27 Post by Ezio » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:53 am

Is Eduardo any more difficult to pronounce than Edward?

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#28 Post by jmo1121109 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:55 am

CroakandDagger wrote:
Lets be real here, that's only true if your IQ is a single digit.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#29 Post by CommanderByron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 am

CroakandDagger wrote:
I’m pretty sure this is sarcasm. Appreciated. But that’s actually a real example of a name that the manager didn’t accept because he “couldn’t pronounce” it. That’s called prejudice. I mean to highlight the prejudice people have against ethnic names without meeting the individual. It’s not *really* about pronunciation. It’s about writing off minorities before they even get a chance to try.

KamojoDragon

#30 Post by KamojoDragon » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 am

EXCUSE ME DID YOU LITERALLY JUST COMMIT SYSTEMIC VIOLENCE
SHUT IT DOWN
HATE SPEECH ISN'T FREE SPEECH
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#31 Post by CommanderByron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 am

Ya know one of the most damaging pieces of legislation for minorities has been Affirmative Action. It gave racist and skeptical whites the ability to claim a level playing field without actually leveling the playing field.

You want real change? Real positive change? Make it illegal to request a name, race or gender on an application unless the business can prove that the information is important to their hiring process. An email and phone number should be all the needed information to call back and get the rest if an application is liked.

leon1122

#32 Post by leon1122 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:51 am

Yeah, except the last time an organization tried that, BLM went and tore it down. Fact of the matter is that black advocate groups don’t actually want a race blind application process because they know they can’t compete on an actually level playing field.

leon1122

#33 Post by leon1122 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 am

http://www.citypages.com/news/what-does ... ir-7601997
A colorblind application process is the first thing that needs to go, Turner says.

"Although there are elements of racism and white supremacy that are there, a simple policy change would be to start tracking [ethnicity] so we can be more intentional about representing the community," he says. "I don't think that anybody likes to check a box, but that would be a simple step to create an affirmative action process."

It would work the same as those used in government construction projects to help minority, immigrant, and women contractors, Turner says. "Anybody who works around racial equity knows that a colorblind policy is just going to continue to hurt people who are already marginalized."

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#34 Post by CommanderByron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:04 am

Our current methods aren’t truly “colorblind” and allow for easy discrimination based on even name alone. I mean I concede that maybe there’s a better system but what we have now clearly doesn’t work.

leon1122

#35 Post by leon1122 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 am

You can make as many excuses as you want, but equal results simply aren’t possible from equal opportunity. The underperformance of some races compared to others is not due to ‘systemic discrimination’ or anything of the sort.

CommanderByron
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#36 Post by CommanderByron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 am

You are absolutely right. Equal results can not be made simply by giving equal opportunity. Because systemic discrimination is only the tip of the spear when it comes to the inherent racial bias in this country. There are also decades and centuries of established white business and commerce, while black business and commerce has only (realistically) been a part of our economy for about 100 years, and honestly only the last 50 have been without segregation.

Diving deeper you also account for the reality that people are still alive who can remember when a person of color had to drink from a different fountain to them. Those people will hold a bias until they die even if it’s silent or internal.

Our systems persecute people of color at a higher rate than whites. Our legal system let off a white rapist with a 6 month penalty but consistently grants black and Latino defendants years of sentence for minor drug possession chargers.

Our system has bred a police force that is afraid of people based on the color of their skin, and failed to adequately train those brave officers to handle diversity.

Our system has failed well beyond discrimination, but the first step to fixing it is to acknowledge that the problems exist. Something many white people seem to have a problem doing.

Kingdroid

#37 Post by Kingdroid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 am

leon1122 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 am
You can make as many excuses as you want, but equal results simply aren’t possible from equal opportunity. The underperformance of some races compared to others is not due to ‘systemic discrimination’ or anything of the sort.
Citation needed? In what world are nonwhites given equal opportunity? Your white supremacist dreamscape doesn't count :)

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#38 Post by bo_sox48 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:28 am

Leon1122, you have been silenced for your recent comments in this thread. Discrimination is not and will not ever be allowed on this forum. If you have any further questions about this notice, please check your registered site email.

In order to establish some consistency, we are going to leave these posts visible despite violating our forum rules as they are now part of the conversation here. In short order, we're hoping to publish some guidelines for how and why we will handle posts violating the rules.

- webDip Admin

President Eden

#39 Post by President Eden » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:42 am

Disbelieving in systemic discrimination now constitutes discrimination and warrants a forum silence?

This website has utterly jumped the shark.

Fluminator

#40 Post by Fluminator » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 am

One thing I'm confused about. Not trolling and genuinely interested in learning.
When does racism go from personal assholery, to systemic?