UK legal head resigns

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

UK legal head resigns

#1 Post by orathaic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Amid anger of Boris Johnson/Brexit issue.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/brexi ... 16298.html

What the heck is going on, has England lost all sense of legality?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: UK legal head resigns

#2 Post by orathaic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:31 pm

Took me a while to find the BBC report on the issue, apparently it isn't as big a deal in the UK...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54072347

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland it is all about this:
https://twitter.com/SJAMcBride/status/1 ... 33506?s=19
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54073836
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54065775

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:43 pm

orathaic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 pm

It's final phase negotiation theatrics, nothing more. A deal will be finalised in the closing few hours just like every other deal that the EU has ever negotiated. The only real question is what time those final few hours exist in.

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:56 pm

In terms of the resignation itself, my understanding is that these posts are for five year terms and he's at the end of his five years. There's no dramatic "I quit!" moment followed by a storming out of the room. He's finishing his 5 years and leaving in the spring.

He may well be unhappy with the stance the government is taking, he may well have found doing the job with this particular government difficult. And he may not. He's fast approaching civil service retirement age (leaving at 58 is rather common in his generation), he's got his gong, so why stay around doing a stressful job when you could be lying on a beach? The chap before him left the role at 59, and the lass before him at 56. It is very much a non-story, from what I can tell.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by flash2015 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:39 pm

orathaic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:23 pm

The final Brexit agreement is a big deal. Rightly or wrongly, laws and agreements are only as strong as the enforcement behind them. Obviously Boris believes that the potential cost of breaking this agreement (or floating that he will break it) is less than the potential benefit from the leverage he believes it gives him. Given that his job is to get the best possible deal for the UK, if he believes this will help the UK it is probably the right decision.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by orathaic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:11 pm

I agree entirely that he should try to get the best deal he can. I suspect the EU will not be particularly pleased.

Especially when they insisted on the northern Ireland protocol before the free trade negotiations were agreed. It seems Johnson could give less than a shit about the border in Northern Ireland, and the Good Friday Agreement.

And if you think this is in the best interest of the UK, I would just like to remind you what some US politicians have said about it: https://twitter.com/slamellie/status/13 ... 32385?s=19

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by flash2015 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:37 pm

It is a high stakes game of chicken. If he doesn't threaten at all he gets no leverage...and if he doesn't make it believable that he would actually do it, then there is no chance of the EU blinking first.

Famous last words, but I believe in the end he will probably get at least some token concession from the EU, there will be a deal and the GFA will be safe...and Boris will take a victory lap for getting the concession(s), however minor the concession(s) may be.

Of course it could still all go pear shaped...but that is the calculated risk Boris is taking.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#8 Post by orathaic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:56 pm
In terms of the resignation itself, my understanding is that these posts are for five year terms and he's at the end of his five years. There's no dramatic "I quit!" moment followed by a storming out of the room. He's finishing his 5 years and leaving in the spring.

He may well be unhappy with the stance the government is taking, he may well have found doing the job with this particular government difficult. And he may not. He's fast approaching civil service retirement age (leaving at 58 is rather common in his generation), he's got his gong, so why stay around doing a stressful job when you could be lying on a beach? The chap before him left the role at 59, and the lass before him at 56. It is very much a non-story, from what I can tell.
Interesting, might I enquire, why then bbc is reporting that this is the 6th high level resignation this year? What makes it newsworthy (even if they buried it)

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:51 pm

Pleasing the EU is very low down on Boris' priority list. As a negotiation strategy goes it simply doesn't work. May tried it and got nowhere fast. Well, not entirely true. May tried it and got nowhere really slowly.

At the risk of sounding like I agree with flash, he is making a lot of sense.

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:54 pm

orathaic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm
Interesting, might I enquire, why then bbc is reporting that this is the 6th high level resignation this year? What makes it newsworthy (even if they buried it)
Damned if I know. At a guess six in one year is unusually high? This particular resignation, though, seems rather mundane. And at the end of the day, they have to write about something. You can only say coronavirus is still going on so many times.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#11 Post by flash2015 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:14 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:51 pm
Pleasing the EU is very low down on Boris' priority list. As a negotiation strategy goes it simply doesn't work. May tried it and got nowhere fast. Well, not entirely true. May tried it and got nowhere really slowly.

A little bit off topic, but you should really join the mafia game. I think you would be good at it.

Jamiet99uk

#12 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:22 pm

Octavious wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:56 pm

Bollocks.

Jamiet99uk

#13 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 pm

Octavious wrote:

What are Boris's fucking priorities, apart from stroking his own inadequate cock?

Jesus Fucking Christ.

This is the worst Government I have lived under, and I have to attempt to work for them.

It's fucking painful.

Jamiet99uk

#14 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:26 pm

I am 39 years old and this is the most incompetent UK government I have lived or worked under.

Jamiet99uk

#15 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:28 pm

Octavious: How dare you defend these fucking charlatans. How dare you. Fuck you.

In years to come I hope you regret your pathetic words this year. Astonishing.

Jamiet99uk

#16 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:32 pm

The Head of the Government Legal Department has shown that he is a man of principle, a steadfast public servant, and I applaud him.

He is everything that Octavious, the fucking snake, is not.

How DARE you defend this government? How dare you? They are beyond defence and I do not care what the fuck is said in their defence. I am a serving civil servant and I want to cry on an almost daily basis.

Fuck you, Octavious. Fuck you.

Octavious

#17 Post by Octavious » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:30 am

It would appear that the BBC have changed their story to indicate that he is indeed leaving before his term finishes, which would at least make it somewhat more news worthy and more likely that this is a statement of discontent with the direction of government policy.

Jamie is a serving civil servant who has not resigned, but is showing some dissatisfaction with government policy. I was a serving civil servant who did resign a little under a year ago, and it had nothing to do with the government. I can confirm that most of the civil service were no more frustrated than usual with the government in my particular area. It's also worth pointing out that the world of permanent secretaries is a very different kind of civil service to the world in which either Jamie or myself operated.

I would like to take this opportunity to applaud Jamie for not resigning, clearly demonstrating that he is a steadfast public servant and a man of principle.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#18 Post by orathaic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:30 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:24 pm
Octavious wrote:

What are Boris's fucking priorities, apart from stroking his own inadequate cock?
<snip>
Some (unsubstantiated) claims I have seen are that donors to Boris Johnson's relection campaign and to the Brexit leave campaign have a lot of money riding on this. That is despite the disastrous impact a no-deal is likely to have on business and 'the real economy', there is a small cohort shorting (ie betting on stocks dropping) the market and thus stand to make millions if Johnson manages to collapse negotiations.

Like I said, not substantiated, but happy to hear anyone who has a better explanation.

Octavious

#19 Post by Octavious » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:27 am

A better explanation than that? Even aliens would be a more coherent explanation :lol:.

Honestly, ora, what have you been smoking? In order to believe such nonsense you have to start from a point that most Tories are evil, which is a place inhabited solely by characters like Jamie. But even if you do that, where's Johnson's (and the rest of the Tory big hitters as just one dissenting voice would collapse the scheme. We're talking levels of Tory unity not seen for... well... ever here) motivation? The supposedly despicable donors have donated, so where is the obligation to keep obeying their requests? You seem to be implying that Boris is willing to break his word and collapse agreements based on his insistence on sticking to his word and honouring agreements, which is utter nonsense.

Still, it gave me a chuckle :razz:

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#20 Post by orathaic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:22 am

Oct, did you even read it? Nowhere did I claim Tories are evil, merely the implication that Johnson is influenced by his donors (I mean, they wouldn't be donating millions if they didn't think it would have an influence, right?)

Also, the Tories can claim, as you seem to have above, that it is in the UK's best interest, and get unity that way... Given that you already accept this narrative, perhaps you can explain how any of this is actually good?

And yes, this remains the arena of speculation and conspiracy theories. I fully accept that. With no solid evidence either way. Perhaps I should take the old adage 'never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance'.

Still, I will ask again, what is your theory?