Americans - on November 3rd we flush the turd!

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
cormorant

Americans - on November 3rd we flush the turd!

#1 Post by cormorant » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 pm

If you are mailing in ballot you should do so by October 22nd, as the Trump and the Republicans are trying to kill the US Post Office to disrupt the election.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

Re: Americans - on November 3rd we flush the turd!

#2 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:24 am

I would encourage all citizens of the USA who are eligible to vote to do so, irrespective of your choice of candidates. This is a most important Presidential election imo. A higher than usual proportion of eligible voters actually voting will enhance the legitimacy of the results imo.( I've dropped the "h" from imho, I perceive it as pretentious when I use it)

I'm definitely hoping for a Joe Biden and Kamala Harris victory by a thumping margin and a peaceful transition of power.
I'm of the opinion that Trumptoad is fearful of losing, not because he wants another four years to implement much needed reforms, but because he's an extremely selfish and egotistical blighter and his narcissist ego demands that he wins to prove his self image is validated.
So imo Trumptoad is not engaging in policy debates, he's intellectually incapable imo but he's playing his traditional divisive, abusive, untruthful racist, sexist propaganda on Twitter etc mixed with imo most untruthful self congratulatory self promotion propaganda.
I also think Trumptoad is clearly trying to sabotage the election in ways that I would expect of a corrupt totalitarian dictator of a disfunctional banana republic or Putin, except that Putin is far more intellectually capable, cunning and dangerous than Trumptoad imo.

Congratulations micha for your post. Embrace and defend democracy. The right to vote in well run, fair and transparent elections is a most precious right, fundamental to ensuring other human rights. Millions of people have fought and made the ultimate sacrifice, their lives to defend democracy.
We're not there yet.. hundreds of millions of people globally are oppressed, denied this and other fundamental human rights. There will always be powerful dark, evil forces, people who hate democracy, who want to enslave the masses in poverty (that can be relative poverty, eg PRC) not bring freedom and genuine merit based equity in distribution of wealth with decent social welfare systems, universal public education and health services.

cormorant

#3 Post by cormorant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:44 am

peaceful transition of power
This is the first time in my life that I'm truly concerned about this. I'm privileged to have many family and friends that have escaped from countries with authoritarian governments and worse. Many Americans truly have no conception of what it can be like, and how awful the indignities can be.

Matticus13

#4 Post by Matticus13 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 am

Can we just wait 'til the 5th and blow up Parliament?

cormorant

#5 Post by cormorant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:06 am

Matticus13 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:00 am
Can we just wait 'til the 5th and blow up Parliament?
You misspelled Reichstag

Matticus13

#6 Post by Matticus13 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:18 am

If you haven't watched V for Vendetta lately you can borrow my Netflix account.

cormorant

#7 Post by cormorant » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:29 am

Matticus13 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:18 am
If you haven't watched V for Vendetta lately you can borrow my Netflix account.
I got the reference :)

interesting how a lot of early American thought about religious freedom and tolerance was informed by the bloody European conflicts between Catholics and Protestants

Randomizer

#8 Post by Randomizer » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:05 pm

micha wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:29 am
interesting how a lot of early American thought about religious freedom and tolerance was informed by the bloody European conflicts between Catholics and Protestants
That's because Europe was mostly religious conflicts and less race and ethnic fighting.

Meanwhile in the US the postal service is removing mail boxes claiming they are under utilized. Another way to make it harder to vote by mail.

https://news.yahoo.com/u-postal-warns-s ... 48465.html

Trump's pick to run the USPS, Dejoy, some how managed to get passed ethics review that not only allowed him to retain stock in a postal service rival, but buy options in Amazon that are only good if the price drops. This might occur if the post office drops carrying Amazon shipping or increases pricing as Trump wants.

cormorant

#9 Post by cormorant » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:20 am

micha wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:00 pm
If you are mailing in ballot you should do so by October 22nd, as the Trump and the Republicans are trying to kill the US Post Office to disrupt the election.
from a friend of a friend:

Apropos of my last post regarding the despicable attempt by Trump and Republicans to decimate the US Postal Service in order to disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of citizens of their right to vote....
Louis DeJoy, the U.S. Postmaster General who is doing Trump’s bidding, reports to the 6-member USPS Board of Governors.

These six men have the power to stop DeJoy and deserve to hear from those that believe democracy means every vote counts. That's you! Apparently they have already received hundreds of individually written emails and one (Moak) posted a response today.

If you have any concerns about delays getting your bills paid, receiving medicine, and absentee voting, please let them know.

Robert Duncan - [email protected]
Roman Martinez - [email protected]
Donald Lee Moak - [email protected]
John M. Barger - [email protected]
Ron A. Bloom - [email protected]
William D. Zollars - [email protected]

Political pressure can #savetheusps. Email them today!!

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#10 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:25 am

No, Matticus, not even joking about using violence and not using the democratic process to effect change is what's needed now imo. Please, let's encourage calm conversations, persuasion, rational debate about policies.

MajorMitchell

#11 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:30 am

I like Micha's activism, the example above with the email addresses for the six members of the USPS Board of Governors is perfect imo. Sensible use of information to encourage all citizens to lobby for a well funded, well run election.
Peaceful, effective activism. That is what former generations fought totalitarianism in WW2 to protect imo. Honour them!!! Get involved, peacefully.

cormorant

#12 Post by cormorant » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:04 am

MajorMitchell wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:30 am
I like Micha's activism, the example above with the email addresses for the six members of the USPS Board of Governors is perfect imo. Sensible use of information to encourage all citizens to lobby for a well funded, well run election.
Peaceful, effective activism. That is what former generations fought totalitarianism in WW2 to protect imo. Honour them!!! Get involved, peacefully.
One of the things I have gathered in my reading about WW2 And the period leading up to it was that it was not only a war between countries. Within each country there was a struggle between the forces of totalitarianism and proponents of an open, free society.