The United States is a fascist police state, no longer a democracy

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Randomizer

Re: The United States is a fascist police state, no longer a democracy

#41 Post by Randomizer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:03 am
Ah, a typical Randomiser post. What it lacks in substantiated facts it makes up for in invention. Remind me when exactly Great Britain forced Jews to leave?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edict_of_Expulsion
Great Britain exiled Jews in 1290 until they were allowed to return under Oliver Cromwell in 1656. This happened because of Cromwell's religious belief that the second coming of Christ couldn't occur until Jews lived in every land.

I admit that this was before your time, but that it wasn't taught in your education doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Octavious

#42 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:40 pm

Not only is that so far before the rise of Nazi Germany to make it completely irrelevant to how anyone would have viewed early 20th century Europe, but everyone with a passing knowledge of history knows that the political entity of Great Britain didn't exist anywhere near 1290 and so can't have evicted anyone at the time.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#43 Post by orathaic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:21 pm

orathaic wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:58 am
Nope.
Meta comment: not debating you is a valid tactic. As it refuses to give breath to further argument and leaves you the choice of saying nothingb(as you did) or producing a wall of text which nobody would read.

Debating Nazis is like that, they get a conversation, and reach a wider audience. Not debating them is a perfectly valid approach.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#44 Post by orathaic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:31 pm

But more to the point, people should not have to constantly debate their right to exist.
a twitter user wrote: I'm seriously exhausted by constantly having to defend my gender and my right to not be called a pronoun associated with a gender I am not. It really does take a toll. I struggle with mental health as it is and this is just fucking bs. I'm so done
if you listen, this kind of statement is pretty common (depending on the communities you listen to).

You can't choose to not be trans (to take the example JK Rowling seems to want to debate in the UK), or gay, or black... So debating their rights to exist amounts to debating the state's right to dispose of them. Contrasted with debating something like 'defund the police', you can choose to not be a police officer, saying their should be no police doesn't conclude with killing all the police (just firing them).

Octavious

#45 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:08 pm

Utter bullshit. Nobody is debating the right of anyone to exist. JKR was debating the right of people who declare themselves trans to be considered women. In a world in which you can simply declare yourself trans it is ludicrous to say that trans women are women. Tighten up the definitions and it may be possible, but certainly not now.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#46 Post by orathaic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:36 pm

Guess what, you don't appreciate a thing about being trans. But what it comes down to is the issue of being allowed to exist in public. If you can't safely use public toilets you can't go outside your own home (assuming you have one). Many trans folks fear physical violence for using men's toilets and verbal abuse/being kicked out for using women's toilets.

No men have used self-id to assault women in women's toilets. Because the 'fear brigade' is using the excuse of 'protecting women's spaces' to attack the rights of trans folks (trans women in particular) to exist in public spaces.

Jk will not acknowledge how harmful her actions have been, but guess what, considerably more people commit suicide when society tells them (whether by legal restrictions or constant 'debate' over their rights) that they should not exist.

It starts with tolerating the intolerance of the likes of JK Rowling. Using the protections of 'free speech' to harm, belittle and chastise marginalised groups.

Spouting transphobic views and creating an atmosphere for tranphobia in public spaces harms anyone who doesn't conform perfectly to gender stereotypes. Just like Jamie said about Brexit being a factor in enabling racists abuse across England. This kind of thing is hugely harmful.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#47 Post by orathaic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:38 pm

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the consequences of that speech.

Octavious

#48 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:40 pm

We clearly have very different opinions over what views are and aren't harmful. The idea that someone as moderate and thoughtful as JKR can be considered as an extremist says a great deal about your outlook.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#49 Post by orathaic » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:28 pm

Oh, I am very left wing. JkR has repeatedly used her immense platform to harm already marginalised trans people. And her wealth effectively shields her from any true consequences.

Still, you fail to recognise the harm done to PoC and migrants as a result of Brexit, so it doesn't overly surprise me that you fail to recognise this.

Octavious

#50 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:41 pm

Lol! Is that the stage you've reached? Everything that you don't agree with is harmful? The next step is to declare all opposing political views racist or sexist, and make voting for people who represent those views a hate crime, and your journey towards totalitarianism will be complete.

Jamiet99uk

#51 Post by Jamiet99uk » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:41 pm
Lol! Is that the stage you've reached? Everything that you don't agree with is harmful? The next step is to declare all opposing political views racist or sexist, and make voting for people who represent those views a hate crime, and your journey towards totalitarianism will be complete.
The stage you have reached is to wire in on every anti-Trump post and say "I don't support Trump but" and then attack the post.

For someone who doesn't support Trump you spend a lot of time rallying against anyone who criticises him, or the nationalist right in general.

If I said you were more in favour of Trump than against him, I am confident I would be in the general direction of the truth, as someone once said.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#52 Post by peterlund » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:50 am

USA is since 2016 a barren wasteland populated by half dead individuals. Just lock the door and throw away the key!!

Octavious

#53 Post by Octavious » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 pm
Octavious wrote:
The stage you have reached is to wire in on every anti-Trump post and say "I don't support Trump but" and then attack the post.

For someone who doesn't support Trump you spend a lot of time rallying against anyone who criticises him, or the nationalist right in general.

If I said you were more in favour of Trump than against him, I am confident I would be in the general direction of the truth, as someone once said.
You'd be wide of the mark as usual.

If you spent as much time making ludicrous attacks on Germany or France as you did America you'd find me pointing out the flaws in those arguments just as enthusiastically, much as I did with your bigoted attacks on the Catholic Church. But you will insist on dedicating most of your bile in the direction of the US.

Matticus13

#54 Post by Matticus13 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:55 am

Oh how I have missed reading these threads.

Octavious

#56 Post by Octavious » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:25 am

orathaic wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 pm
Excellent descriptor: https://eand.co/america-is-having-the-m ... d3358a2745
Lol! Where do you find this shite?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#57 Post by orathaic » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:50 pm

Octavious wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:25 am
orathaic wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 pm
Excellent descriptor: https://eand.co/america-is-having-the-m ... d3358a2745
Lol! Where do you find this shite?
In the echoy Chambers of social media, this stuff which reconfirm my views finds me.

Jamiet99uk

#58 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:22 am

Octavious wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:17 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:12 pm
Octavious wrote:

You'd be wide of the mark as usual.

If you spent as much time making ludicrous attacks on Germany or France as you did America you'd find me pointing out the flaws in those arguments just as enthusiastically, much as I did with your bigoted attacks on the Catholic Church. But you will insist on dedicating most of your bile in the direction of the US.
I did not make any "bigoted attacks" on the Catholic church, but whatever.

All religions are based on nonsense. There is no God, the world was not made by magic in seven days, Eve was not made from Adam's rib, Noah was not 1,000 years old, Muhammad did not split the moon in two, etcetera. All major religious institutions exist to control people, to preserve and exert their power, and to make money.

I have nothing against individual followers of the Catholic Church, although it concerns me that they are being coerced or misled into participating in a mass hallucination that a magic sky wizard is regulating their morals. I do object to the oppressive and counter-progressive role of the Catholic Church in oppressing women and forcing them to remain in abusive relationships, to say nothing of the institutionalised sexual abuse of children that has been rife within that sinister organisation for many years.

This makes me a sensible person who is capable of interacting with reality, not a bigot.

As for Germany, France, and the USA? The USA has for much of my lifetime been the world's only superpower, although I remember (with, in retrospect, some sadness) the fall of the USSR and I am witnessing the rise of China. The USA during most of that time has been a dramatic force for evil across the globe, murdering and pillaging in the name of capitalism and "American interests" and causing untold death and suffering in many places.

France and Germany are not blameless either but have tended to be much more reasonable regimes leaving a somewhat lighter footprint on the world and taking better care of their citizens.

Trump is a figurehead for small-minded nationalists and proto-fascists (and, y'know, actual fascists) and his entire movement must be resisted, fought and struck down. I therefore do not, and will not, apologise for talking about his fucking shit and pointing out what a liar, charlatan, cheat and asshole he is. Just as Octavious will continue to demonstrate which side he is on.

My name is Jamie the T and I endorse this message.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#59 Post by orathaic » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:48 pm

Anti fá, and terrorism: https://antifainternational.tumblr.com/ ... oes-it/amp
Glad to see someone else agree with me on the use of violence in politics. Lovely to see them point out that all politics involves violence.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#60 Post by flash2015 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:26 pm

orathaic wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:48 pm
Anti fá, and terrorism: https://antifainternational.tumblr.com/ ... oes-it/amp
Glad to see someone else agree with me on the use of violence in politics. Lovely to see them point out that all politics involves violence.
I don't understand why we emphasize this. Have you lost faith in democracy? Shouldn't violence be an absolute last resort? What do you think will be achieved? If a Nazi gets punched do you really expect them to say "you know what, thanks for showing me the error of my ways, I will be better in the future"? In reality it does the exact opposite. It hardens their opinions and makes them stronger.

The underlying rise of these groups is due to underlying societal problems (e.g. like the hollowing out of manufacturing jobs)...and these far right groups are the ones saying "we have the solution". The right way to undermine them is to provide better solutions to these underlying problems...rather than violent confrontation. We effectively send the message that we don't care about their issues...which again makes these far-right groups stronger.

Finally, history has shown that civil unrest gives rise to authoritarians (Trump is an authoritarian wanna-be). I fear that instead of actually defeating these groups we are actually giving them a path to victory.