Police terrorism

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Police terrorism

#1 Post by orathaic » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:26 am

After the discussion of Incels charged with terrorism, now this:
"Yesterday I saw the term ‘police terrorism’ for the first time as a suggested replacement for ‘police brutality’ on grounds that that’s exactly what it is. Terrorism. Terrorism is defined as “the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.”

The police, and the state as a whole, use violence to intimidate peaceful protestors and journalists documenting those abuses. This intimidation is in hopes that those speaking about about injustice lose faith and willpower and give up, returning to a state of subservience and silence upon oppression.

I just read another article about something similar. It’s the last article I shared, if you wanna check it out. But it mentions how even through the language, labeling this violence as ‘police brutality’, we individualize this violence to isolated events, none relevant to another, making what’s happening as just little hiccups. While ‘police terrorism’ acknowledges the use of political and economic violence as a whole framework, all connected via the same oppressive ideologies and legislatures.

I don’t know about you, but I’m a firm believer the police, FBI, CIA, NSA, all five branches of the military, and the state as one big terrorist organization, terrorizing it’s own citizens and residents into accepting oppression and exporting that oppression via imperialism and capitalist greed.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Police terrorism

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:38 am

State terror can be a thing. I would suggest viewing terror tactics by the police as a form of state terror, rather than inventing new terminology (since the police can only be using terror tactics with the consent of the authorities that govern them, or else you are looking at a failed state in which the police are no more than a gang).

Where are you quoting that from? Another thread?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by orathaic » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:50 am

When I say, "you can't be neutral on a moving train" - referencing the Howard Zinn documentary - this is part of what he was talking about "a state of subservience and silence upon oppression."

Voting is amazing, but having the state tell you when it is ok to voice your opinion, when it is ok to go outside and what it is OK to say, that is still oppressive.

I am glad I don't live in a country where the only options are both alleged rapists. I am on record here as saying the the two party system in the US is not much better than the one party system in China (use of police to suppress dissent is looking pretty similar at the moment, the biggest difference is that Chinese people are shocked to see this violence reported. Because it China this information would be suppressed).

Being limited to voting only one day every 4 years and expected to accept the status quo in between is not very democratic. And I for one am glad a huge number of people are taking part in protests this week.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by orathaic » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:52 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:38 am
State terror can be a thing. I would suggest viewing terror tactics by the police as a form of state terror, rather than inventing new terminology (since the police can only be using terror tactics with the consent of the authorities that govern them, or else you are looking at a failed state in which the police are no more than a gang).

Where are you quoting that from? Another thread?
State sponsored terror is a thing, I am guessing the author of this quote is less likely to see Imperialism in the violence of the US military, or associate it with terrorism.

Jamiet99uk

#5 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Another interesting thing about the police...

I notice that police in the USA have been using tear gas to disperse protestors.

Did you know that tear gas is recognised in international law as a chemical weapon? Its use in war has been forbidden under the Geneva Convention since 1925. If US troops used tear gas in a foreign conflict, they would be guilty of a war crime.

Yet US police are apparently allowed to use tear gas on US citizens.

Isn't that interesting?