The Name Of Skopjie

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
PRINCE WILLIAM

The Name Of Skopjie

#1 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

For the past weeks, it is a major political issue in Greece the official name of the state known today as FYROM. I was wondering how this matter is perceived beyond the borders of the interested countries, in West Europe or the USA or even in distant Australia.
So, this forum with members from all over the globe is the perfect place to ask for opinions. Tell me, do this subject make it to the news there? Are there debates or discussion on this?

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

Re: The Name Of Skopjie

#2 Post by TrPrado » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:40 pm

This is actually the first I've heard of this.

yavuzovic

#3 Post by yavuzovic » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:04 pm

TrPrado wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:40 pm
This is actually the first I've heard of this.
Same for me. And I think I didn't understand the problem. FYROM = Macedonia and I heard Skopjie is the capital of this country.

captainmeme

#4 Post by captainmeme » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 pm

I was under the impression that the name of FYROM has always been a major issue in Greece, no? What's made it more important recently?

President Eden

#5 Post by President Eden » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:53 pm

American here, this issue is receiving flat zero coverage on any of our national news media. I have no idea how valuable our news media's coverage is considered outside of our borders, but there you go.

ksako8

#6 Post by ksako8 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:02 pm

It is news in NL. Fifteen years ago, Greece even boycotted NL products, because of some perceived recognition or so. It is a minor topic, but it is reported. It all refers back to Alexander the Great, so it is a matter f national pride it seems.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#7 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:44 pm

Macedonia is one of the nine big geographical districts of Greece bearing the name since the ancient's time with Alexander the Great being her most prominent son (but not the only, Aristotle was also from Macedonia, Cleopatra was of Macedonian descent).
With the fall of Yugoslavia in 1991, one of its former republics took the name Macedonia, after Greek protest went by the name of Former Yugoslavian Republic Of Macedonia (FYROM).
This matter kept being a constant thorn in the two countries relations. Recently FYROM asked to be part of NATO to which Greece vetoed seeking a permanent resolution to the name issue.
The problem is not only of a name or even the national pride. FYROM's constitution speaks of enslaved Macedonian areas and people to be liberated and as it is easily understood this does not make them friendly neighbors while the population of Macedonia is 100% Greek and speaks Greek.

yavuzovic

#8 Post by yavuzovic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm

I support Macedonia, because my mother's parents can speak Macedonian :-D

Octavious

#9 Post by Octavious » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:23 pm

This is one of those issues that crops up occasionally in the British press international pages when there's a particularly slow news week, and has been briefly mentioned in the headlines lately.

I'd say most Brits will be completely unaware of it, and those that are will think it's a big fuss over nothing. Which is pretty much what I think, truth be told. A fragment of former Yugoslavia could call itself Greater Britain if it really wanted to and I doubt anyone would care. As far as the constitution goes, in the highly unlikely event Macedonia invaded Greece to "liberate enslaved Macedonians" their military infrastructure and political leaders would be bombed to oblivion and arrested in short order. It's not something that would ever happen.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#10 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 pm

@ Yavuzovic: There is no Macedonian language, they speak Serbo-Croatian (Srpsko-hrvatski) if they are speaking it with some differences that don't make it a new language. Or do you mean that they speak Greek?

@ Octavious: The problem is that there are common borders and the whole area is a bit flammable with this kind of statements even if they are hard to put in action.

Octavious

#11 Post by Octavious » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:47 pm

PRINCE WILLIAM wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 pm
The problem is that there are common borders and the whole area is a bit flammable with this kind of statements even if they are hard to put in action.
Is it? What kind of things have the Macedonians been doing?

yavuzovic

#12 Post by yavuzovic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm

PRINCE WILLIAM wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 pm
@ Yavuzovic: There is no Macedonian language, they speak Serbo-Croatian (Srpsko-hrvatski) if they are speaking it with some differences that don't make it a new language. Or do you mean that they speak Greek?

I dunno. :-D They're Macedonians from Albania, they may speak Albanian language but I remember they were reading something like this: асдфяшер. I will ask if I see them before I forget this message (I won't ask :-D )

yavuzovic

#13 Post by yavuzovic » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Еј, ова е Македонец!
^ Accirding to Google Translator.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#14 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:53 pm

@ Octavious, Not doing, that's why I said hard to put into action. Yet they claim there is a minority of Slavomacedonians or that their natural borders are these of ancient Macedonia. I understand that it would seem a minor issue to a third party and that was why I asked how the whole story get's out, in the first place.

@ Yavuzovic, Check it in the other versions of Serbo-Croatian and you'll see it is almost identical, it is not another language, just a dialect. Is the issue getting coverage in Turkish media?

NTN

#15 Post by NTN » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Actually they speak some kind of Bulgarian.

Octavious

#16 Post by Octavious » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:07 pm

It's all Greek to me.

Hellenic Riot
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#17 Post by Hellenic Riot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm

That solution would certainly solve things.

Really, this is a frozen dispute that nobody has actually cared much about for a very long time without wanting to be the one to publicly back down. Then SYRIZA came along in Greece, and after failing with their initial radical domestic proposals, they're doing that lovely old fashioned trick of trying to distract people by digging up a good old dispute (clearly they've been watching Argentina recently). It's a no-lose situation for SYRIZA - either they come out on top and get some credit for closing an old crisis, or it enflames the hard right... Predominantly their own coalition partners, the appropriately acronymed ANEL. Might even keep ANEL in parliament next time.

Not that this'll keep SYRIZA in government after next year, because they've failed on all fronts and backstabbed the people who voted them in in the first place, but still. Tsipras can dream.

Also, the proposed names are genuinely atrocious. After Greece accepted "Macedonia-Skopjie" but Macedonia rejected it, they're now floating "UpperMacedonia"... All one word. Just what the hell? Go with Vardar and be done with it, or they can go full troll mode and name themselves Byzantium.

yavuzovic

#18 Post by yavuzovic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:42 pm

@PRINCE WILLIAM
No. Too short answer but no. I heard it here.

PRINCE WILLIAM

#19 Post by PRINCE WILLIAM » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:10 pm

@ Hellenic Riot, What brought the whole theme to the surface was quite obvious but I believe they played the wrong card here, this national - pride matter. While can give credit to ANEL at the same time can break the coalition and get to the elections they are so sure they will have next year.

@ Yavuzovic, That surprises me since your country is in the neighborhood.

yavuzovic

#20 Post by yavuzovic » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:15 pm

@PRINCE WILLIAM
Our media is too busy on the war in the border of Syria.