Abusing The Word "coward"

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
ILN

Re: Abusing The Word "coward"

#41 Post by ILN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:31 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:57 am

Do you really know anything about religion? A fundamental idea of faith, especially in Christianity, is that you look up to those whose faith is so strong that they can overcome their fear of death to promote religious objectives. In Christianity, we often call these people "Saints".
Each and every single one of those saints was killed by another, not by their own hand.

You really have to be playing mental gymnastics to see that loser as anything but a coward.

ILN

#42 Post by ILN » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Napoleon poisoning himself (but failing), Hitler taking cyanide along with his hottie, Mark Anthony taking his life with his sword, and Abu blowing himself up. What do all of those have in common?

This is a tough one for flash.

Hint: all preferred death to capture and the consequences that were sure to follow.

I believe there's a word for that...

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#43 Post by flash2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Octavious wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:49 am
Also I am still keen to hear what you think my Brexit position is, and what about it is extremely nationalistic or patriotic. It'd be nice to think you have some evidence in the form of some quotes to back it up, but I suspect that you have simply invented a narrative that suits your purposes that you've then convinced yourself is fact. It seems to be a habit of yours.
Sorry, I haven't been paying attention for a while.

Anyway, I assume this because of the way you post and how hard you troll. At least with people like ND or Jamiet, they make clear their trolling obviously matches their opinions. You troll hard all in the one direction. For example, your recent Brexit thread:

Hahahahahahahaha!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh deary me :razz:

That is all.
Then I compare it to what you say is supposedly your position in a separate thread:

In the last election it became so abysmally poor I spoiled my ballot with a message to the effect of "shame on the lot of you".
Given your first quote, I just don't trust you anymore on the second. I don't see how someone who spoils there ballot not caring who wins can be so happy when an election then goes a certain way. It appears to me you are trying to make it sound like you are "above the fray" when your trolling shows you are anything but.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#44 Post by flash2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:03 pm

ILN wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:31 pm
flash2015 wrote:

Do you really know anything about religion? A fundamental idea of faith, especially in Christianity, is that you look up to those whose faith is so strong that they can overcome their fear of death to promote religious objectives. In Christianity, we often call these people "Saints".
Each and every single one of those saints was killed by another, not by their own hand.

You really have to be playing mental gymnastics to see that loser as anything but a coward.
But the argument from Octavious was that because of their belief in God, it was cowardly. Their belief in being rewarded in the afterlife was so strong, that death was actually the easy option. I don't see how this is different from Christian saints. They allowed themselves to be martyred because their belief in God was so strong too. I don't see any gymnastics at all here.

If we want to of course argue that suicide in general is by definition cowardly, that is a different argument. I don't believe that either, but again that argument was not made.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#45 Post by flash2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:05 pm

ILN wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 pm
Napoleon poisoning himself (but failing), Hitler taking cyanide along with his hottie, Mark Anthony taking his life with his sword, and Abu blowing himself up. What do all of those have in common?

Hint: all preferred death to capture and the consequences that were sure to follow.

So your argument is that anyone that commits suicide is by definition a coward?

Octavious

#46 Post by Octavious » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:08 pm

A few points.

Firstly I don't troll, nor do I believe that you understand what the word means.

Secondly the thread you identify as a Brexit thread is quite obviously not a Brexit thread, nor does the post do anything except express my deep amusement at the result of the election. You have chosen to interpret that as a gesture of support for Boris, but once again your interpretation is wrong.

Thirdly, and based on the above point this should be obvious, there is no contradiction between the two posts you have identified. Nor do I understand what you mean by me being "above the fray", which is something I have neither claimed nor aspired to in British politics.

Octavious

#47 Post by Octavious » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:09 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:03 pm
ILN wrote:
flash2015 wrote:

But the argument from Octavious was that because of their belief in God, it was cowardly. Their belief in being rewarded in the afterlife was so strong, that death was actually the easy option. I don't see how this is different from Christian saints. They allowed themselves to be martyred because their belief in God was so strong too. I don't see any gymnastics at all here.

If we want to of course argue that suicide in general is by definition cowardly, that is a different argument. I don't believe that either, but again that argument was not made.
That was not my argument. Again, as is so often the case, you are wrong.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#48 Post by flash2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:17 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:08 pm
A few points.

Firstly I don't troll, nor do I believe that you understand what the word means.

Secondly the thread you identify as a Brexit thread is quite obviously not a Brexit thread, nor does the post do anything except express my deep amusement at the result of the election. You have chosen to interpret that as a gesture of support for Boris, but once again your interpretation is wrong.

Thirdly, and based on the above point this should be obvious, there is no contradiction between the two posts you have identified. Nor do I understand what you mean by me being "above the fray", which is something I have neither claimed nor aspired to in British politics.
Are you completely not self-aware at all???:

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain."

What reaction are you expecting to starting a thread laughing at the election result? And I am saying this as someone that wated Boris to win just to get the thing over with.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#49 Post by flash2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:30 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:09 pm
flash2015 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:03 pm
ILN wrote:

That was not my argument. Again, as is so often the case, you are wrong.
I had read this statement "You're hardly in danger of death because that's your goal" as you being in agreement with others that had made that claim. So all you are now saying now is that, irrespective of religion, killing yourself to not be captured by an opponent is by definition cowardly?

Octavious

#50 Post by Octavious » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:35 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:17 pm
What reaction are you expecting to starting a thread laughing at the election result?
A discussion on the fundamental absurdity of the state of current UK politics, perhaps?
flash2015 wrote:
I am saying this as someone that wated Boris to win just to get the thing over with.
Seriously? You're one of those idiots? Bless your little cotton socks, that's just too funny :lol:

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#51 Post by flash2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:37 pm

ILN wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 pm

So going on this definition would you call this person a coward?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Bingen

Or this guy, that killed himself so that he wouldn't be captured by ISIS? I wouldn't but again working with your definition:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-38812873

From the article:

"Kurdish rights activist Mark Campbell, from KurdishQuestion.com, told BBC South: "Ryan Lock may very well have turned his own gun upon himself rather than be taken prisoner by ISIS.

"There are no words to describe the bravery required to take such an action. "

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#52 Post by flash2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:35 pm
flash2015 wrote:
What reaction are you expecting to starting a thread laughing at the election result?
A discussion on the fundamental absurdity of the state of current UK politics, perhaps?
Did you notice at all there was no meaningful discussion in your thread...that people continued with the other Brexit thread instead? I wonder what that tells you?
flash2015 wrote:
I am saying this as someone that wated Boris to win just to get the thing over with.
Seriously? You're one of those idiots? Bless your little cotton socks, that's just too funny :lol:
So you are now saying it would have been better for the uncertainty to keep going then?

Octavious

#53 Post by Octavious » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm
Did you notice at all there was no meaningful discussion in your thread...that people continued with the other Brexit thread instead? I wonder what that tells you?
That webDip political discussion has mostly been killed off, and those few members that still take partake weren't interested in it, misunderstood the intent, or found it puerile?
flash2015 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm
So you are now saying it would have been better for the uncertainty to keep going then?
I am saying what I've been saying for some time. I'd have much preferred a confirmatory referendum in which the people could have opted between a real Brexit and Remain armed with the additional information we've gained over the last few years.