Should white people own Chinese restaurants?

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Re: Should white people own Chinese restaurants?

#41 Post by flash2015 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:12 pm

peterlund wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:12 pm
pangloss wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:51 pm
If the question is, "should there be legal barriers to white people owning Chinese restaurants?" I think we're all in agreement that the answer is no. But if the question is, "should there be social barriers to white people owning Chinese restaurants?" I think the answer is yes. Personally, I don't really care if a white person owns a Mandarin Buffet or a Panda Express (or any of those large chain restaurants), but I would be very sceptical of mom and pop Chinese restaurants being owned by white people.
Why should there be "social barriers" or any barriers at all? That sounds like a very boring world in my ears.

If the restaurant is bad it will go bankrupt, simple as that.

But I do agree that the likelihood of a "Chinese" restaurant being successful is a lot higher if the owner/management/chief knows quite a lot of Chinese culture and cuisine. If this understanding is low the chances of success is low too. This does not mean that the people running the restaurant must be Chinese, since this knowledge can be acquired by anyone with interest and experience of Chinese culture and cuisine.
"Knowing your customer" and cooking food which is even remotely related to the cuisine in question are often two completely orthogonal requirements. For example "Knowing your customer" is why most Chinese fast food restaurants (at least in the NY area) sell fried chicken wings.

Vaporwave

#42 Post by Vaporwave » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:48 pm

As for owning Chinese shops, whites from developed countries shouldn't do it because of backlash. You've created this environment where you're guilty of everything, so don't start complaining about it.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#43 Post by Tom Bombadil » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:40 am

Should skinny people own all-you-can-eat buffets? Seems like cultural appropriation to me.