Free Speech is Outdated

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Fluminator

Free Speech is Outdated

#1 Post by Fluminator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:16 pm

Free speech is outdated and what is allowed to be said should be regulated and decided by an elite group of politicians.
We need to censor out all bad beliefs as decided by this group, both online and publicly.

We can't rely on the open marketplace of ideas because people who espouse bad views won't fight fair and will trick stupid people into believing their ideology. This won't happen if we censor them outright and move them to fringe groups isolated from everyday discourse.

Sure it might just further fanaticalize people since they never hear the arguments against their beliefs because the mainstream marketplace of ideas aren't allowed to engage with them, but who cares because they're assholes and evil and don't fight fair and will just trick more stupid people into joining their ideology.

Thank goodness we're above that and smart and enlightened and know which views to excommunicate and won't be fooled!

Fluminator

Re: Free Speech is Outdated

#2 Post by Fluminator » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 pm

What's better than free speech is Paid Speech.
The more you talk, the more you get taxed, and we tax controversial dialogue harder.
This could help the environment (since talking uses up oxygen and outputs CO2) and deal with problematic ideologies, and give the government more money to work with to help the poor

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:04 am

And in Fluminator's apparently delusional world everyone pays their share of taxes and there is no tax avoidance and taxation systems are perfectly constructed and implemented?

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:41 am

Is this sarcasm?

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#5 Post by orathaic » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:16 am

There is some sarcasm... Also, taxing speech means the poor don't get a voice, which is the elitism which lead to poor people not being allowed to vote. So let's not go back to this.

LeonWalras

#6 Post by LeonWalras » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 am

I vote to tax anyone who uses the term "marketplace of ideas".

Octavious

#7 Post by Octavious » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:57 am

LeonWalras wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 am
Quite right, Leon. We don't want to boil the ocean reaching out for next level jargon. We must embrace the core competency of plain English and make it scalable across the board.

Carl Tuckerson

#8 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Fluminator wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:16 pm
Free speech is outdated and what is allowed to be said should be regulated and decided by an elite group of politicians.
We need to censor out all bad beliefs as decided by this group, both online and publicly.

We can't rely on the open marketplace of ideas because people who espouse bad views won't fight fair and will trick stupid people into believing their ideology. This won't happen if we censor them outright and move them to fringe groups isolated from everyday discourse.

Sure it might just further fanaticalize people since they never hear the arguments against their beliefs because the mainstream marketplace of ideas aren't allowed to engage with them, but who cares because they're assholes and evil and don't fight fair and will just trick more stupid people into joining their ideology.

Thank goodness we're above that and smart and enlightened and know which views to excommunicate and won't be fooled!
Woke. I too think that smart people like Facebook should police dumb people like me, because they know better for me than I know for myself. Great post

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#9 Post by StevenC. » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 pm

LeonWalras wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 am

I vote to tax any and all grammar nazis.

Randomizer

#10 Post by Randomizer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:38 am

Grammar is essential to clarify meaning. It's hard enough when people have different meanings for terms, but a missing comma can easily change a sentence.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats shoots, and leaves.
Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Carl Tuckerson

#11 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:50 am

Randomizer wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:38 am
Grammar is essential to clarify meaning. It's hard enough when people have different meanings for terms, but a missing comma can easily change a sentence.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats shoots, and leaves.
Yeah but he only said grammar NAZIS. Meaning regular users of correct grammar need not be afraid. Sounds like you're a grammar NAZI sympathizer. Maybe Good Facebook Man will make you stop Talking Bad Talk.

Octavious

#12 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:50 am

Randomizer wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:38 am

Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats shoots, and leaves.
I am curious about what kind of situation you could be reading about where the context doesn't make the intended meaning blatantly obvious.

Randomizer

#13 Post by Randomizer » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Trump's 4th of July speech where he talks about seizing the air fields from the British is a good example. Reporters spent hours trying to figure out what Trump was supposed to say from the transcripts of what he actually said. It doesn't help that the White House never released the original speech.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Fluminator is a troll...

#14 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:12 pm

...and it's getting worse.