Say something nice about your political opposition

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Carl Tuckerson

Say something nice about your political opposition

#1 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sun May 19, 2019 4:33 am

I see this board has a lot of representation outside of America, so forgive me if this commentary doesn't apply to your country, but at least in the States, bipartisanship is at the lowest point it's been in my lifetime, with no signs of letting up.
Yet as I talk, both here and elsewhere, with people I generally expect to be opponents in the political arena, not only do I see areas where we can find common ground, but I also enjoy very civil conversations with these people, which sounds impossible judging from the impressions you might get off CNN or FOX.

So in the spirit of working together to solve the problems facing our countries and our world...

(1) Name a policy position frequently attributed to a faction with whom you disagree, or advocated by a politician with whom you often disagree, that you support.
(2) Give a compliment to someone you know personally or a public figure with whom you often disagree.

Please be sincere. Y'all are very smart and capable of funny satire. I'd like to minimize that in this thread. Thanks!

--

For me, I'll start with a rising star in the Democratic Party and the "darling" of Baby Boomer conservative commentary everywhere: freshman House Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York.

(1) I strongly support her initiative with Senator Bernie Sanders re: interest rates and usury. I'm not as informed on the specifics as I would like to be, but the principle is very sound. It is deplorable how debt-driven the American economy is. I'd think on paper that combating this abhorrent facet of America would be a top priority that would have bipartisan support. I'm not holding my breath that the establishment Democrats or any faction of the GOP will get on board, and I'll admit that because I haven't deeply studied the proposal that there may be better ways to execute what they seek to execute, but I can't praise the principle enough.

(2) AOC is authentic. As far as that aspect of her is concerned, I'd love to see that authenticity be the norm among politicians. It's been especially funny to see other Democratic hopefuls trying very hard to copy her style on Instagram. She does a great job of shining a light on the phoniness of our political establishment without even trying.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Say something nice about your political opposition

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sun May 19, 2019 7:09 am

They have nice smart uniforms.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun May 19, 2019 7:46 am

Similar thing occurring in Australia in my opinion. Less bipartisanship, more divisive factions slowly declining total 1st preference vote for two main "big parties" .steady approx 10% & slowly increasing Greens vote On the right there are the extreme right eg Pauline Hanson's One Nation about 5% nationally but 10-14% in Queensland the State that produces plenty of colourful & some that might be regarded as our most corrupt, eg Russell Hinze.
Mining businessman whom I call Clivetoad Palmer is also a Queensland based & regard as, (but do not state in fact as being a) political maverick & tax minimising robber baron type of Blighter.
I don't think the divisiveness is as bad here as in Trumpdistopiamerica

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#4 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun May 19, 2019 7:56 am

Say something nice about my political opponents. I struggle with Pauline Hanson and Clivetoad. The local State MP is a decent chap & he was at the same small country town polling booth as I was on Saturday and we have convivial conversations, although we we're handing out how to vote cards for opposing candidates, the one I support won. When he left about 5pm he gave me a corflute poster with a big picture of PM Scomo & autographed it. At about 4,pm he was joined by a local doctor I know & his wife & she is a proper toff & long term Liberal Party supporter, but fun & a scratch golfer & we all got on exceedingly well. Then when I was scrutineering the count from 6pm to 8pm, the woman scrutineering for team Scomo had no previous experience, so I was polite and helpful towards her.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by flash2015 » Sun May 19, 2019 6:21 pm

I disagree with Rand on many things...but I do agree with him on his stand against government spying which was unique out of all presidential candidates in 2016 (I believe there are 0 democratic candidates for 2020 against the surveillance state). He also has strong anti-interventionist tendencies which I like. I believe he is authentic.

And when Harry Reid got injured a few years ago, Rand being an eye surgeon by training, went out of his way to check up on him in hospital. This is how it should be. I don't know who else from the Republican side did this.

Fluminator

#6 Post by Fluminator » Sun May 19, 2019 7:57 pm

A lot of progressives genuinely and sincerely care about the world which I appreciate.

Senlac

#7 Post by Senlac » Sun May 19, 2019 8:27 pm

The “Greens”.
I passionately believe in protection of the environment. I live in Costa Rica, probably the most environmentally conscious nation & society on earth. It’s one of the major reasons I embraced this country as mine & try to keep my personal damage to the environment minimal.

Then I see the “Greens” political representatives for the cause that I embrace most & I simply cringe at their ineptitude & often times mere lip service, as they jump on jet liners from one environmental conference to the next...

But the passion of their young adherents I celebrate. I can remember that time when a political issue meant a great deal, even if I’m old & cynical now.
The way the youth are embracing the need for environmental protection gives hope it may actually happen one day. It will be a muddle, as everything always is, but at least someone now seems to care & from that progress is possible.

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#8 Post by peterlund » Sun May 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Since I hardly agree with anyone I have serious problems complying to this request. Whom of everyone should I try to say something "nice" about? 🙄

Vaporwave

#9 Post by Vaporwave » Mon May 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Since this is US talk, I basically dislike any party that promotes difficult hurdles to get tourist visas. You can't crush a man's dream. For some people, it's the biggest, most important event in their life, a trip to the US.

I've seen local celebs in my country who weren't able to get visas for performing at concerts, yet I also see all these random people on instagram visiting one state after another. I'm not sure what criteria they use, why some are more 'worthy' than others. It's not about money, I know people with lots of cash who didn't manage to get it.

Tourist visas are temporary, it's not about taking jobs from locals, it's not about settling there, it's about wanting to see the most beautiful and amazing country in the world. When they make it difficult for some but easier for others, that's when I have a problem.

As for political parties in my country, a big lol. A jungle, a dog-eat-dog world, since all are corrupt and filled with evil, would I be a decent human being saying nice things about any of them?

Greg_the_republican

#10 Post by Greg_the_republican » Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 pm

I like how Democrats are genuinely devoted to helping the poor and disadvantaged. I also like how diverse their voter base is.

ksako8

#11 Post by ksako8 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:51 am

I appreciate that the right in our country think they are doing the right thing. I disagree with them, but their believes are genuine

CruaaderReynauld

#12 Post by CruaaderReynauld » Thu May 23, 2019 12:05 pm

ksako8 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:51 am
I appreciate that the right in our country think they are doing the right thing. I disagree with them, but their believes are genuine
I'm with Ksako8 on this, I don't agree with the method my political opposition go with to solving problems I don't believe exist, but at least the majority seems genuine in their concern over the problem

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#13 Post by New England Fire Squad » Thu May 23, 2019 2:00 pm

I appreciate the left's desire to protect the environment. I love their desire to protect the weak, although this desire can be misused. I like the idea of fighting powerful multinational corporate interests. Really, the only thing I don't like about them is that they don't like me.

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#14 Post by StevenC. » Thu May 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Eh. I'll have to concede that they're also people, I guess.

Joking aside, I one-hundred percent agree with Fuminator's statement about progressives. I do appreciate genuine principled stances on issues.

Smokey Gem

#15 Post by Smokey Gem » Fri May 24, 2019 1:20 pm

In Aus they are still in opposition..

peterlund
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#16 Post by peterlund » Fri May 24, 2019 9:18 pm

There are 3 types of politicians.

1. those who think with their hearts
2. those who think with their guts
3. those who think with their brains

I believe I am part of the smallest category 3, but we are few maybe only 10%.

So my opposition are the 2 larger categories that together make up 90% of the population. So let's try to say something nice about these people.

Heart thinkers believe very much in the good will of other humans and try their outmost to help out other people in need.

Gut thinkers are mostly realist about human nature and don't take anything for granted. They are hard to fool. Everyone needs to deserve whatever they get.