ANZAC DAY .

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Smokey Gem

ANZAC DAY .

#1 Post by Smokey Gem » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Is it just another public holiday. ?
How does it connect to new immigrants to Australia. ?
If it ever is targeted by an attack from any terrorist group will Australia ever forgive?
And two up appropriate or not on the day?

most importantly..ANZAC biscuits crunchy or chewy.

" Lest we Forget "

Octavious

Re: ANZAC DAY .

#2 Post by Octavious » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 pm

Immigrants join the national family and take on the traditions much like individuals do when they marry into a new family. As long as it continues to be honoured by the natives it will be honoured by newcomers.

The courage of our friends overseas will never be forgotten.

Senlac

#3 Post by Senlac » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Octavious wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 pm
“Immigrants join the national family and take on the traditions much like individuals do when they marry into a new family. As long as it continues to be honoured by the natives it will be honoured by newcomers.”

I so wish this was true, but I severely doubt it is.
As an Englishman living in 10 countries on 4 continents over 30+ years I’ve not seen it observed by others, or done it myself.
Examples; Day of the Vow, Moshoeshoe’s day, 4th of July, Juan Santamaria day, all celebrated by locals in nations while I lived there, but of no significance to me & many other immigrants I knew at the time.

It’s a dream that might make the host culture feel comfortable with arrival of immigrants, but I doubt it really happens.

“The courage of our friends overseas will never be forgotten”.

This part is true however

ksako8

#4 Post by ksako8 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Seniac, it sounds you were an expat, not an immigrant

Senlac

#5 Post by Senlac » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:22 pm

ksako8 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:09 pm
Seniac, it sounds you were an expat, not an immigrant
No. I left UK when desperate to leave & got permanent residence in a new country (not working “abroad” with some UK corporation). I left permanently for personal reasons. Moved to a neighbouring country, again after gaining work/residence rights. Did the same with USA many years later & again now in Central America.
Every move motivated by myself in order to emigrate and lead a better life elsewhere. On no occasion was I working in some “foreign” place while employed by a corporation based elsewhere.

You jump to conclusions sir. I was never an expat & used to ridicule them on every opportunity. I was & still am a migrant.

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:33 am

At the risk of also jumping to conclusions, I believe that we have just identified the 7th Earl of Lucan!

I have to say I think the thrust of ksako's argument is correct. There is a world of difference between the sort of immigrant who chooses a country as a new permanent home for themselves and their family, and the citizen of the world type of immigrant.

Senlac

#7 Post by Senlac » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:03 am

Octavious wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:33 am
At the risk of also jumping to conclusions, I believe that we have just identified the 7th Earl of Lucan!

I have to say I think the thrust of ksako's argument is correct. There is a world of difference between the sort of immigrant who chooses a country as a new permanent home for themselves and their family, and the citizen of the world type of immigrant.
If that be the thrust of the argument, it’s true. It was use of the term “expat” that confused me in that case. Glorified corporate tourists was one of our more complimentary phrases for them:-) Still don’t think new immigrant arrivals significantly embrace national holidays of the host nation however.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#8 Post by MajorMitchell » Wed May 01, 2019 4:38 am

In my opinion ANZAC Day is not just another public holiday, and it's got nothing to do with the glorification of war, nor is it a day of jubilant celebration or triumphalism. It's a day when two Commonwealth Nations show respect for the sacrifices made by their service men and women. So it's about remembrance and respect.