Hillary announces shes running again

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: Hillary announces shes running again

#21 Post by orathaic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am

StevenC. wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 pm
peterlund wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm
StevenC. wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:18 pm
With the current list of candidates, I'm afraid I'm probably going to abstain from voting in this election as well.
So you confess that you are responsible for the shithead being elected last time by not exercising your right/duty to vote?
How'd you come to that conclusion?

I live in New York: a blue state. My vote wouldn't have mattered in the least.
So you are disenfranchised because your electoral system is messed up.

Would you support a popular vote where everyone's vote will count (and equally, rather than smaller pop states having a larger say?)

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#22 Post by orathaic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:08 am

Vaporwave wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Don't think anyone would ever vote for a white guy again seeing the current president's behavior. They had enough
<snip>

But white guy is seen as the default, so they are not all tarred with the same brush.

Is we are all white guys, then no-one is a white guy. Kind of mentality.

Octavious

#23 Post by Octavious » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:39 pm

StevenC wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:08 am
I've always been confused by the notion that your vote doesn't matter if you live in a safe seat. Here's some shocking news for you. Whether you vote or not will not change the result. Whether you chose to walk to the voting booth or to walk to the pub will have an utterly insignificant impact on who declares themselves the winner. This is true regardless of whether you live in a safe seat or not. If you think that it only matters in the ridiculously unlikely event that scores are tied then you've failed to understand how democracy works.

What matters is that you vote for the people you want to win, vote for the policies you want to see happen. And at the end of the day people will look at the number of people who voted for what, and they will get an understanding of what people want, and they will change their policies accordingly. Your impact will be tiny, as it should be, but it will be real. And it makes no difference whether you live in a safe seat or not.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#24 Post by flash2015 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:35 pm

orathaic wrote:
Vaporwave wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Don't think anyone would ever vote for a white guy again seeing the current president's behavior. They had enough
<snip>

But white guy is seen as the default, so they are not all tarred with the same brush.

We always talk about white guys and the presidency, but there is a much bigger elephant in the room - the presidential religious test.

At least currently, you just can't become president in the USA without being a Christian (Democrats need to be even more overtly Christian than Republicans). People like Nikki Haley and Bobby "Piyush" Jindal know this - both go out of their way to hide the fact that they were anything other than Christians. Much as I like Tulsi Gabbard, I am cognizant that the Hindu faith probably kills her chance at the presidency at least in 2020.

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#25 Post by StevenC. » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:57 pm

orathaic wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am
StevenC. wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:59 pm
peterlund wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm

So you confess that you are responsible for the shithead being elected last time by not exercising your right/duty to vote?
How'd you come to that conclusion?

So you are disenfranchised because your electoral system is messed up.

Would you support a popular vote where everyone's vote will count (and equally, rather than smaller pop states having a larger say?)
Peterlund accused me of being responsible for contributing to Trump's election victory by not casting my vote for the opposing candidate and instead abstaining from the ballot box. The truth is however, it wouldn't have mattered how I voted because New York is well-known to lean heavily Democratic. The vast majority of people here vote Democrat so therefore it's obvious that New York's electors would always have gone to Hillary.

I do agree however that something needs to change about our Electoral College. Most US states have a winner-takes-all system with their electors, which I dislike. I much prefer the congressional district method adopted in Maine and Nebraska. In those states, the electoral votes are spread into districts and the winner in those districts (by popular vote) wins that district's electoral vote and then the winner of the state's votes as a whole wins the remaining electoral votes. I'm unsure if I would support a straight up popular vote for the presidency though. That method has its own issues.

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#26 Post by StevenC. » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:39 pm
StevenC wrote:
I've always been confused by the notion that your vote doesn't matter if you live in a safe seat. Here's some shocking news for you. Whether you vote or not will not change the result. Whether you chose to walk to the voting booth or to walk to the pub will have an utterly insignificant impact on who declares themselves the winner. This is true regardless of whether you live in a safe seat or not. If you think that it only matters in the ridiculously unlikely event that scores are tied then you've failed to understand how democracy works.

What matters is that you vote for the people you want to win, vote for the policies you want to see happen. And at the end of the day people will look at the number of people who voted for what, and they will get an understanding of what people want, and they will change their policies accordingly. Your impact will be tiny, as it should be, but it will be real. And it makes no difference whether you live in a safe seat or not.
I don't disagree with you here. Admittedly, my first comment failed to elaborate on my stance.

Vaporwave

#27 Post by Vaporwave » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 pm

orathaic wrote:

Have you heard about this debate over a possible reparation plan which I assume will include a tax imposed on whites for past evils that they've performed on people of other ethnicity? I'm really not sure if this will pass, how many whites will accept it, that's when true colors will be shown

The younger generation will vote for one of these independent women with a progressive mindset and it could turn into a great thing and maybe make America great again :razz: , US is being re-created, it constantly changes.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#28 Post by orathaic » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 am

Vaporwave wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:12 pm
orathaic wrote:

Have you heard about this debate over a possible reparation plan which I assume will include a tax imposed on whites for past evils that they've performed on people of other ethnicity? I'm really not sure if this will pass, how many whites will accept it, that's when true colors will be shown

<snip>
I have not. I assume taxpayers will contribute to a system which will help reduce inequality of opportunity among those who were historically oppressed, and who currently do not have the same kind of inherited wealth, influence, social connections etc.

This should also apply to working class white people who have historically been exploited, and missed out on the 'opportunity' which the land of opportunity supposes to offer. I mean, the opportunity of free federal lands stolen from people who were promised it by treaties which were quickly ignored... That needs to be addressed.

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#29 Post by MajorMitchell » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:25 pm

What for me defies all logic is the notion that with a population of about 327 million in the USA the best two candidates for POTUS were Daffy Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Great trolling (?) Dipbro Brainbomb.