Feel the Bern 2.0

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Message
Author
brainbomb
Posts: 12119
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 2993
Contact:

Feel the Bern 2.0

#1 Post by brainbomb » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:46 am

thoughts on Bernie running again

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Karma: 253

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#2 Post by orathaic » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am

Is he going as an independent or democrat?

Octavious
Posts: 2155
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 1739
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#3 Post by Octavious » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am

Isn't he a little past retirement age? Not wishing to be funny, but even the senior members of whatever passes for the American civil service will be a generation younger than him. Age has to be a factor when applying for a high pressure job that could take him well into his 80s
4

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3002
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:01 am
Karma: 2010
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#4 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:51 pm

He’s one year older than Joe Biden and one year younger than Nancy Pelosi, each of whom have been reported to have presidential aspirations and would br welcomed to give it a go with open arms.
1

Octavious
Posts: 2155
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 1739
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#5 Post by Octavious » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:13 pm

No doubt all have their supporters, but you have to be realistic. Putting octogenarians in one of the most stressful jobs on the planet is asking for trouble. The odds of any of them living longer than two terms can't be great.
3

Randomizer
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:04 am
Karma: 203

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#6 Post by Randomizer » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Look at what happened when a 70 something Trump took office. The guy has taken more time off to golf in two years than Obama in eight. Who knows how much time he actually spends doing presidential work and not just sitting in front of and yelling at his TV.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3002
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:01 am
Karma: 2010
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#7 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:07 pm

I don't disagree one bit, Oct, and I wish they wouldn't run over and over again until they're too old to stand at the podium, but I'm going to vote based on the platform that I believe is best and the country would be better off if others did as well. If a 76 year old Joe Biden, 77 year old Bernie Sanders, or 78 year old Nancy Pelosi is running against a 45 year old conservative whose platform I disagree with, or even if any of those three ran against another Democrat in the primary who is younger but I disagree with, I'm not going to let age be a deciding factor.
1

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth
Karma: 755

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#8 Post by flash2015 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 pm

orathaic wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am
Is he going as an independent or democrat?
He has to run as democrat as the system is designed so that it is almost impossible to become president if you are not Republican or Democrat. For example, there were other candidates for president other than Trump/Clinton but they were never invited to the debates as the debate organizers are Democrats/Republicans. Candidates not aligned as Republican or Democrat need thousands of signatures in each state just to get on the ballot:

https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_f ... dependents

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3002
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:01 am
Karma: 2010
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#9 Post by bo_sox48 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:39 pm

I imagine he would get those signatures, but he doesn't want to end up splitting the vote in November. That's why he's running as a Democrat this time.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth
Karma: 755

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#10 Post by flash2015 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:53 pm

bo_sox48 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:39 pm
I imagine he would get those signatures, but he doesn't want to end up splitting the vote in November. That's why he's running as a Democrat this time.
Some of the signature requirements are really complex though. For example, NY requires that you need to get a certain number of signatures from each district, not just for the state as a whole. Arizona requires that all signatures come from unaligned voters. And even if you do get the signatures there would be the inevitable court challenges to them from the major parties if Bernie was seen as a real threat. The lack of a preferential voting system for President is just a bonus.

JECE
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:35 pm
Karma: 47
Contact:

I’m running for president Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#11 Post by JECE » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:31 pm

webDippers -

I am writing to let you know I have decided to run for president of the United States. I am asking you to join me today as part of an unprecedented and historic grassroots campaign that will begin with at least a million people from across the country.

Please join our campaign for president on day one and commit to doing what it takes to win this election.

Our campaign is not only about defeating Donald Trump, the most dangerous president in modern American history. It is not only about winning the Democratic nomination and the general election.

Our campaign is about transforming our country and creating a government based on the principles of economic, social, racial and environmental justice.

Our campaign is about taking on the powerful special interests that dominate our economic and political life. I'm talking about Wall Street, the health insurance companies, the drug companies, the fossil fuel industry, the military industrial complex, the private prison industry and the large multinational corporations that exert such an enormous influence over our lives.

Our campaign is about redoubling our efforts to end racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry and all forms of discrimination.

Our campaign is about creating a vibrant democracy with the highest voter turnout of any major country while we end voter suppression, Citizens United and outrageous levels of gerrymandering.

Our campaign is about creating a government and economy that work for the many, not just the few. We are the wealthiest nation in the history of the world. We should not have grotesque levels of wealth inequality in which three billionaires own more wealth than the bottom half of the country.

We should not have 30 million Americans without any health insurance, even more who are underinsured and a nation in which life expectancy is actually in decline.

We should not have an economy in which tens of millions of workers earn starvation wages and half of older workers have no savings as they face retirement.

We should not have the highest rate of childhood poverty of almost any major country on Earth and a dysfunctional childcare system which is unfair to both working parents and their children.

We should not have a regressive tax system in which large, profitable corporations like Amazon pay nothing in federal income taxes.

Make no mistake about it. The powerful special interests in this country have unbelievable power and they want to maintain the status quo. They have unlimited amounts of money to spend on campaigns and lobbying and have huge influence over the media and political parties.

The only way we will win this election and create a government and economy that work for all is with a grassroots movement – the likes of which has never been seen in American history.

They may have the money and power. We have the people. That is why we need one million Americans who will commit themselves to this campaign.

Stand with me as we fight to win the Democratic nomination and the general election. Add your name to join this campaign and say you are willing to do the hard work necessary to transform our country.

You know as well as I do that we are living in a pivotal and dangerous moment in American history. We are running against a president who is a pathological liar, a fraud, a racist, a sexist, a xenophobe and someone who is undermining American democracy as he leads us in an authoritarian direction.

I’m running for president because, now more than ever, we need leadership that brings us together – not divides us up. Women and men, black, white, Latino, Native American, Asian American, gay and straight, young and old, native born and immigrant. Now is the time for us to stand together.

I’m running for president because we need leadership that will fight for working families and the shrinking middle class, not just the 1 percent. We need a president who understands that we can create millions of good-paying jobs, rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and construct the affordable housing we desperately need.

I'm running for president because we need trade policies that reflect the interests of workers and not multi-national corporations. We need to raise the minimum wage to a living wage, provide pay equity for women and guarantee all workers paid family and medical leave.

I'm running for president because we need to understand that artificial intelligence and robotics must benefit the needs of workers, not just corporate America and those who own that technology.

I'm running for president because a great nation is judged not by how many billionaires and nuclear weapons it has, but by how it treats the most vulnerable – the elderly, the children, our veterans, the sick and the poor.

I’m running for president because we need to make policy decisions based on science, not politics. We need a president who understands that climate change is real, is an existential threat to our country and the entire planet, and that we can generate massive job creation by transforming our energy system away from fossil fuels to energy efficiency and sustainable energy.

I’m running for president because the time is long overdue for the United States to join every other major country on Earth and guarantee health care to all people as a right, not a privilege, through a Medicare-for-all program.

I’m running for president because we need to take on the outrageous level of greed of the pharmaceutical industry and lower prescription drug prices in this country.

I'm running for president because we need to have the best educated workforce in the world. It is totally counterproductive for our future that millions of Americans are carrying outrageous levels of student debt, while many others cannot afford the high cost of higher education. That is why we need to make public colleges and universities tuition free and lower student debt.

I’m running for president because we must defend a woman’s right to control her own body against massive political attacks taking place at the local, state and federal level.

I'm running for president because we need real criminal justice reform. We need to invest in jobs and education for our kids, not more jails and incarceration. We need to end the destructive "war on drugs," eliminate private prisons and cash bail and bring about major police department reform.

I'm running for president because we need to end the demonization of undocumented immigrants in this country and move to comprehensive immigration reform. We need to provide immediate legal status for the young people eligible for the DACA program and develop a humane policy for those at the border who seek asylum.

I'm running for president because we must end the epidemic of gun violence in this country. We need to take on the NRA, expand background checks, end the gun show loophole and ban the sale and distribution of assault weapons.

I'm running for president because we need a foreign policy which focuses on democracy, human rights, diplomacy and world peace. The United States must lead the world in improving international cooperation in the fight against climate change, militarism, authoritarianism and global wealth inequality.

That is why we need at least a million people to join our campaign and help lead the movement that can accomplish these goals. Add your name to say we’re in this together.

Needless to say, there is a lot of frightening and bad news in this world. Now, let me give you some very good news.

Three years ago, during our 2016 campaign, when we brought forth our progressive agenda we were told that our ideas were "radical" and "extreme." We were told that Medicare for All, a $15 an hour minimum wage, free tuition at public colleges and universities, aggressively combating climate change, demanding that the wealthy start paying their fair share of taxes, were all concepts that the American people would never accept.

Well, three years have come and gone. And, as result of millions of Americans standing up and fighting back, all of these policies and more are now supported by a majority of Americans.

Together, you and I and our 2016 campaign began the political revolution. Now, it is time to complete that revolution and implement the vision that we fought for.

So here is my question for you:

Will you stand with me as part of a million person grassroots movement which can not only win the Democratic primary, not only win the general election, but most importantly help transform this country so that, finally, we have a government that works for all of us and not just the few? Add your name to say you will.

Together we can create a nation that leads the world in the struggle for peace and for economic, racial, social and environmental justice.

And together we can defeat Donald Trump and repair the damage he has done to our country.

Brothers and sisters, if we stand together, there is no limit to what we can accomplish.

I hope you will join me.

Thank you very much.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders
2

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth
Karma: 755

Re: I’m running for president Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#12 Post by flash2015 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:31 am

JECE wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:31 pm
webDippers -

I am writing to let you know I have decided to run for president of the United States. I am asking you to join me today as part of an unprecedented and historic grassroots campaign that will begin with at least a million people from across the country.

Please join our campaign for president on day one and commit to doing what it takes to win this election.

Our campaign is not only about defeating Donald Trump, the most dangerous president in modern American history. It is not only about winning the Democratic nomination and the general election.

Our campaign is about transforming our country and creating a government based on the principles of economic, social, racial and environmental justice.

Our campaign is about taking on the powerful special interests that dominate our economic and political life. I'm talking about Wall Street, the health insurance companies, the drug companies, the fossil fuel industry, the military industrial complex, the private prison industry and the large multinational corporations that exert such an enormous influence over our lives.

Our campaign is about redoubling our efforts to end racism, sexism, homophobia, religious bigotry and all forms of discrimination.

Our campaign is about creating a vibrant democracy with the highest voter turnout of any major country while we end voter suppression, Citizens United and outrageous levels of gerrymandering.

Our campaign is about creating a government and economy that work for the many, not just the few. We are the wealthiest nation in the history of the world. We should not have grotesque levels of wealth inequality in which three billionaires own more wealth than the bottom half of the country.

We should not have 30 million Americans without any health insurance, even more who are underinsured and a nation in which life expectancy is actually in decline.

We should not have an economy in which tens of millions of workers earn starvation wages and half of older workers have no savings as they face retirement.

We should not have the highest rate of childhood poverty of almost any major country on Earth and a dysfunctional childcare system which is unfair to both working parents and their children.

We should not have a regressive tax system in which large, profitable corporations like Amazon pay nothing in federal income taxes.

Make no mistake about it. The powerful special interests in this country have unbelievable power and they want to maintain the status quo. They have unlimited amounts of money to spend on campaigns and lobbying and have huge influence over the media and political parties.

The only way we will win this election and create a government and economy that work for all is with a grassroots movement – the likes of which has never been seen in American history.

They may have the money and power. We have the people. That is why we need one million Americans who will commit themselves to this campaign.

Stand with me as we fight to win the Democratic nomination and the general election. Add your name to join this campaign and say you are willing to do the hard work necessary to transform our country.

You know as well as I do that we are living in a pivotal and dangerous moment in American history. We are running against a president who is a pathological liar, a fraud, a racist, a sexist, a xenophobe and someone who is undermining American democracy as he leads us in an authoritarian direction.

I’m running for president because, now more than ever, we need leadership that brings us together – not divides us up. Women and men, black, white, Latino, Native American, Asian American, gay and straight, young and old, native born and immigrant. Now is the time for us to stand together.

I’m running for president because we need leadership that will fight for working families and the shrinking middle class, not just the 1 percent. We need a president who understands that we can create millions of good-paying jobs, rebuild our crumbling infrastructure and construct the affordable housing we desperately need.

I'm running for president because we need trade policies that reflect the interests of workers and not multi-national corporations. We need to raise the minimum wage to a living wage, provide pay equity for women and guarantee all workers paid family and medical leave.

I'm running for president because we need to understand that artificial intelligence and robotics must benefit the needs of workers, not just corporate America and those who own that technology.

I'm running for president because a great nation is judged not by how many billionaires and nuclear weapons it has, but by how it treats the most vulnerable – the elderly, the children, our veterans, the sick and the poor.

I’m running for president because we need to make policy decisions based on science, not politics. We need a president who understands that climate change is real, is an existential threat to our country and the entire planet, and that we can generate massive job creation by transforming our energy system away from fossil fuels to energy efficiency and sustainable energy.

I’m running for president because the time is long overdue for the United States to join every other major country on Earth and guarantee health care to all people as a right, not a privilege, through a Medicare-for-all program.

I’m running for president because we need to take on the outrageous level of greed of the pharmaceutical industry and lower prescription drug prices in this country.

I'm running for president because we need to have the best educated workforce in the world. It is totally counterproductive for our future that millions of Americans are carrying outrageous levels of student debt, while many others cannot afford the high cost of higher education. That is why we need to make public colleges and universities tuition free and lower student debt.

I’m running for president because we must defend a woman’s right to control her own body against massive political attacks taking place at the local, state and federal level.

I'm running for president because we need real criminal justice reform. We need to invest in jobs and education for our kids, not more jails and incarceration. We need to end the destructive "war on drugs," eliminate private prisons and cash bail and bring about major police department reform.

I'm running for president because we need to end the demonization of undocumented immigrants in this country and move to comprehensive immigration reform. We need to provide immediate legal status for the young people eligible for the DACA program and develop a humane policy for those at the border who seek asylum.

I'm running for president because we must end the epidemic of gun violence in this country. We need to take on the NRA, expand background checks, end the gun show loophole and ban the sale and distribution of assault weapons.

I'm running for president because we need a foreign policy which focuses on democracy, human rights, diplomacy and world peace. The United States must lead the world in improving international cooperation in the fight against climate change, militarism, authoritarianism and global wealth inequality.

That is why we need at least a million people to join our campaign and help lead the movement that can accomplish these goals. Add your name to say we’re in this together.

Needless to say, there is a lot of frightening and bad news in this world. Now, let me give you some very good news.

Three years ago, during our 2016 campaign, when we brought forth our progressive agenda we were told that our ideas were "radical" and "extreme." We were told that Medicare for All, a $15 an hour minimum wage, free tuition at public colleges and universities, aggressively combating climate change, demanding that the wealthy start paying their fair share of taxes, were all concepts that the American people would never accept.

Well, three years have come and gone. And, as result of millions of Americans standing up and fighting back, all of these policies and more are now supported by a majority of Americans.

Together, you and I and our 2016 campaign began the political revolution. Now, it is time to complete that revolution and implement the vision that we fought for.

So here is my question for you:

Will you stand with me as part of a million person grassroots movement which can not only win the Democratic primary, not only win the general election, but most importantly help transform this country so that, finally, we have a government that works for all of us and not just the few? Add your name to say you will.

Together we can create a nation that leads the world in the struggle for peace and for economic, racial, social and environmental justice.

And together we can defeat Donald Trump and repair the damage he has done to our country.

Brothers and sisters, if we stand together, there is no limit to what we can accomplish.

I hope you will join me.

Thank you very much.

In solidarity,

Bernie Sanders
That's the spirit! Make America Great Again! :razz:

StevenC.
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm
Location: Long Island, New York, United States of America
Karma: 65

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#13 Post by StevenC. » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:12 pm

No thanks.

orathaic
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator
Posts: 881
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Karma: 253

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#14 Post by orathaic » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:33 pm

Flash, can you explain how and when America was great before... And maybe why it isn't now?
1

Senlac
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm
Karma: 166

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#15 Post by Senlac » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:43 pm

orathaic wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:33 pm
Flash, can you explain how and when America was great before... And maybe why it isn't now?
I have no axe to grind regarding US politics, but I don’t think targeting the “MAGA” slogan (which was clearly effective for the Donald in 2016) will contribute towards preventing him win in 2020. I know negative advertising can help in politics, but negatively attacking a slogan is very unlikely to help.

My view is Clinton lost last time around by failing to inspire the American voter. MAGA might not be the most intellectual catch phrase, but unless the Democrats create a “better” one, MAGA wins again, even if/because opposition criticise it as meaningless
1

brainbomb
Posts: 12119
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 2993
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#16 Post by brainbomb » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Id be way more inspired to vote Cory Booker or Kamala Harris than Bernie or Warren. Mostly because I think Booker is gonna dominate the debates.

brainbomb
Posts: 12119
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: the sock drawer
Karma: 2993
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#17 Post by brainbomb » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 pm

The problem with Bernie is the same problem with Hillary and the same problem with American Film and Cinema.

Nobodys got the balls to risk anything new anymore

Senlac
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:23 pm
Karma: 166

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#18 Post by Senlac » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 pm
The problem with Bernie is the same problem with Hillary and the same problem with American Film and Cinema.

Nobodys got the balls to risk anything new anymore
I think you are absolutely right on this point & for 2 primary reasons;

1. No trust that the person promising “something new” will/can actually deliver.
2. Too many occasions when after the promise of “something new”, it didn’t happen.

The people have become very cynical when anyone offers anything other than that which they are familiar. This is not only true of USA in my opinion & has become endemic of “Western Civilisation”.

Octavious
Posts: 2155
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 1739
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#19 Post by Octavious » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:35 pm

orathaic wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:33 pm
Flash, can you explain how and when America was great before... And maybe why it isn't now?
If you're great do you necessarily have to stop being great in order to be great again? One can be great on Monday, and great again on Tuesday, without ever having to suffer the long dark tea time of mediocrity in between.

Octavious
Posts: 2155
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 1739
Contact:

Re: Feel the Bern 2.0

#20 Post by Octavious » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:04 am

I'm running for president because I firmly believe that the Democrats are in such a hopeless mess that even a near octogenarian with a track record in failing to win electoral races is a better prospect than the rest of them.

Bernie Sanders
2

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest