Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Post Reply
Message
Author
brainbomb
Posts: 5848
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 622

Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#1 Post by brainbomb » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm

I dont understand the gilette story. I saw 3 memes today but no idea what it means

Octavious
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 514
Contact:

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#2 Post by Octavious » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 pm

My understanding is that Gillette have decided to use the MeToo movement as a platform to sell toiletries, much like Schweppes is using it to sell drinks.

It's all a little distasteful, but advertising generally is.
2

orathaic
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Karma: 31

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#3 Post by orathaic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:51 pm

Has the making of some great commentary: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... -marketing

brainbomb
Posts: 5848
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Location: Not Mars?
Karma: 622

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#4 Post by brainbomb » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:40 am

I dont understand who runs the think tank for conservative worldviews, but how does battling the me too movement advance the following of the Republican party. lol

flash2015
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth
Karma: 186

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#5 Post by flash2015 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:40 am
I dont understand who runs the think tank for conservative worldviews, but how does battling the me too movement advance the following of the Republican party. lol
There is a subset of the population that believe there is a "war on men" (click on a a couple of jordan peterson, daily wire, louder on crowder, stephan molyneux, mgtow videos etc. to bring up "right wing youtube" to start seeing this stuff). The Republican party is just pandering to these people.

StevenC.
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm
Location: Long Island, New York, United States of America
Karma: 21

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#6 Post by StevenC. » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:28 pm

A lot of people on the other side of the aisle also took issue with the ad, not just right-wingers.

flash2015
Posts: 1227
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Location: Planet Earth
Karma: 186

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#7 Post by flash2015 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 pm

This is all, of course, a cynical ploy by Gilette. They, of course, are pandering too...without actually doing anything of substance.
2

orathaic
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Karma: 31

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#8 Post by orathaic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Actually, I heard Gillette is really marketing to the largely female audience who buy household goods (like razors) for their families. A performance of their allyship with the me too movement.

So yeah, that would make sense.

StevenC.
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm
Location: Long Island, New York, United States of America
Karma: 21

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#9 Post by StevenC. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:01 pm

orathaic wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:40 pm
Actually, I heard Gillette is really marketing to the largely female audience who buy household goods (like razors) for their families. A performance of their allyship with the me too movement.

So yeah, that would make sense.
This is kind of Old Spice's modus operandi as well. They market towards women so that they get their boyfriends or husbands to buy Old Spice products.

Octavious
Posts: 751
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:16 pm
Location: The Five Valleys, Gloucestershire
Karma: 514
Contact:

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#10 Post by Octavious » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:34 pm

For people who know about this sort of thing, does aftershave ever go off? I have a bottle that an old girlfriend bought me a decade or so ago (pre-webDip) and I was curious if it was still usable as anything other than weed killer?

StevenC.
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm
Location: Long Island, New York, United States of America
Karma: 21

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#11 Post by StevenC. » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:48 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:34 pm
For people who know about this sort of thing, does aftershave ever go off? I have a bottle that an old girlfriend bought me a decade or so ago (pre-webDip) and I was curious if it was still usable as anything other than weed killer?
They should be fine. The fragrance might mellow out or disappear but it should still be fine to use.

orathaic
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:20 pm
Karma: 31

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#12 Post by orathaic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Finest Interneting around: https://ibb.co/F46L9YR

Vaporwave
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 pm
Karma: 5

Re: Why are Conservatives boycotting shaving cream?

#13 Post by Vaporwave » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:37 am

Octavious wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 pm
My understanding is that Gillette have decided to use the MeToo movement as a platform to sell toiletries, much like Schweppes is using it to sell drinks.

It's all a little distasteful, but advertising generally is.
besides women with moustaches are quite common, so it's not surprising they might want to branch out to a female audience

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest