So Sad

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Randomizer

So Sad

#1 Post by Randomizer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:20 pm

The US has gone from the first president, George Washington, "I can not tell a lie," to the current president, Donald Trump, "I do try ... and I always want to tell the truth."

Next up Fox News will be absolved from the FCC regulation about equal time on political views after it was shown that they no longer report the news and are a pure entertainment channel. Fox has gone into the business of paying people to fake events that they can then report on that never happened.

Randomizer

Re: So Sad

#2 Post by Randomizer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:08 am

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/02/politics ... index.html

I guess Trump feels we can handle the Truth.

Octavious

#3 Post by Octavious » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 am

I agree that the US office of President is much improved from the days it was occupied by Washington, the slave owning oath breaker and teller of the most famous lie in American politics, which you kindly quoted above.

Everybody lies, starting with the baby who discovers that pretending it's in distress gets it attention. Obama lied, Bush lied, Clinton lied, and Trump lies. What matters to voters is whether or not what the President actually does is what they want him to do, and in this Trump supporters have rather a lot they can point to and be happy about.

Jamiet99uk

#4 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:40 pm

It is sad that a man of some intelligence, like Oct, does not care about the difference between truth and lies.

This is something all intelligent people should care about. Politicians should be held to account. Liars and decievers should not be tolerated to hold office.

The USA has never had an honest President because it is a nation founded on theft and oppression.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#5 Post by TrPrado » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:07 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:40 pm
The USA has never had an honest President because it is a nation founded on theft and oppression.
Whoa whoa whoa, the USA was founded on theft and oppression WITH (mild) REPRESENTATION

Octavious

#6 Post by Octavious » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:40 pm
It is sad that a man of some intelligence, like Oct, does not care about the difference between truth and lies.

This is something all intelligent people should care about. Politicians should be held to account. Liars and decievers should not be tolerated to hold office.
A curious comment. I've not seen any reason why someone's intelligence should make them care more about whether someone else lies or not. Indeed, there's a lot of evidence to suggest more intelligent people lie more, so you'd expect more intelligent people to care less if anything.

As far as politicians go, all politicians lie. Obama famously lied repeatedly about closing Guantanamo Bay, which angered me quite a bit. Most political lies are never discovered, or course. The UK Green Party's manifesto, for example, is full of crap that they'd never actually do, but because they'll never get any power they can say this sort of thing to their heart's content without it ever becoming a lie as such.

What is important, then, is not whether politicians lie but what they lie about and who they lie to. Bill Clinton, for example, very publicly lied to his wife and directly to the entire nation about his affairs. As an American citizen would you care about being lied to about his private life? Probably to some degree. I would be more concerned by him lying to his wife as you have to question the moral fibre of any man who could do that to people he supposedly loves. And if he has so little regard for the people he cares about, how much can you expect him to care about you?

In everyday life, of course, most people lie about politics. On this forum, for example, Janiet99uk has repeated called David Cameron a pig fucker based on no real evidence other than Jamie doesn't like him and he has an inclination to degrade politicians he disagrees with. Does that mean you should disregard everything Jamie says? No, because if you hold people up to an impossible standard of honesty you will never trust anyone.

Ultimately it is what people say and do that enables others to form opinions of you. Trump's words and actions have failed to impress fellow liar, Jamie, but it's fair to say that Jamie is not his target market.

Jamiet99uk

#7 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:11 pm

I agree that the subject matter of the lies is significant. Donald Trump lies about major issues of domestic and international policy importance. He invents events that have not happened, and he lies about things which have. Fake news is a genuine menace. Democracy relies on the populace being able to make decisions about who should represent them. If they make those decisions based on lies they have been told, this degrades democracy. The press is complicit in the epidemic of fake news. I would propose a law that newspaper "corrections" must be printed on the same page or in the same place as the original item appeared.

brainbomb

#8 Post by brainbomb » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:58 pm

Donald Trump eventually wont be president.

Jamiet99uk

#9 Post by Jamiet99uk » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:34 pm

brainbomb wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:58 pm
Donald Trump eventually wont be president.
Yes. So?

Octavious

#10 Post by Octavious » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:42 am

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:11 pm
I would propose a law that newspaper "corrections" must be printed on the same page or in the same place as the original item appeared.
I hate to say it, but I'm agreeing with you again.

I think you're falling into the trap of assuming Trump supporters are made up of naive souls who have been fooled by a cunning web of lies. I think you'll find that the vast majority understand Trump and his flaws and his departures from the truth very well. But on the stuff they care about he's played with a straight bat, and is delivering quite a lot.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#11 Post by flash2015 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 pm

Octavious wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:42 am
Jamiet99uk wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:11 pm
I would propose a law that newspaper "corrections" must be printed on the same page or in the same place as the original item appeared.
I hate to say it, but I'm agreeing with you again.

I think you're falling into the trap of assuming Trump supporters are made up of naive souls who have been fooled by a cunning web of lies. I think you'll find that the vast majority understand Trump and his flaws and his departures from the truth very well. But on the stuff they care about he's played with a straight bat, and is delivering quite a lot.
It is remarkable what people will believe when you tell them what they want to hear. Trump isn't the only one who used this to his advantage, but he is by far the most brazen by several orders of magnitude.
Last edited by flash2015 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#12 Post by flash2015 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 pm

<duplicate>

Randomizer

#13 Post by Randomizer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 am

Once Trump ran for office, my city's newspaper began a fact checking column on his statements and it usually takes up half a page. They did add sections for his rivals and their statements.

What's truly sad is how there are lies just a few days after events that contradict them. Like Trump's press secretary saying from day 1 that Trump didn't support violence in politics when only three days earlier Trump was praising a Republican congressman for body slamming a reporter.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/25/opinions ... index.html