Why the hell has no-one joined my game?

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
frankiethefrank

Why the hell has no-one joined my game?

#1 Post by frankiethefrank » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:48 pm

I post games sometimes and they rarely get traction. What am I doing wrong? My current game that I had high hopes for was a fairly high-stakes one - 100point entry - but I didn't think it was *that* high considering how many high-rollers there are around here.

Game is called '7empest'. If you could join it, that would be awesome, it's starting very soon.

If you don't join it, do the next best thing and tell me why it's unattractive so I don't make the same mistakes again.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: Why the hell has no-one joined my game?

#2 Post by Chaqa » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:57 pm

frankiethefrank wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:48 pm
I post games sometimes and they rarely get traction. What am I doing wrong? My current game that I had high hopes for was a fairly high-stakes one - 100point entry - but I didn't think it was *that* high considering how many high-rollers there are around here.

Game is called '7empest'. If you could join it, that would be awesome, it's starting very soon.

If you don't join it, do the next best thing and tell me why it's unattractive so I don't make the same mistakes again.
My guess is that it's a combination of a few things:
1. The game has an 80% RR requirement, which is going to limit your player pool somewhat (lowering it to around 70 may give you a lot more players able to play).

2. The 100 point bet is pretty high for new players, which means you will mostly be limited to mid-tier or experienced players.

3. The 24 hour phase is a bit short for a full press game.

Combining 2 and 3 - experienced players tend to prefer more in-depth press and discussion turn to turn, which means they gravitate toward longer phases (36 hours to a minimum usually, sometimes multiple days per turn).

I would recommend one of two things:

If you're looking for more experienced players, make it like 75% RR, 75 bet, 36 or 48 hour phases.

If you're looking for less experienced players, make it like 65/70% RR, 25-35 bet, and still probably 36 hour phases.

frankiethefrank

#3 Post by frankiethefrank » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks, this was really helpful

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#4 Post by Yonni » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:05 pm

To follow that up, I don't know if I've ever just created a game and waited for people to join in the almost 10 years I've been here. Posting to the forum has always been far more successful way to get a quality game.

CCR

#5 Post by CCR » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:13 pm

Anyone up to a hundred%RR game series, of any kind??