PBEM Schizodiplomacy Game: Interested?

Advertise new games you are hosting, look for new games to join, or find other players to join your invitation-only games here.
Forum rules
This area is meant for advertising your new games or for finding new games to join with other players on the forum. Please do not make multiple threads for your game or spam existing threads. Please be civil, respect other members, and follow all of the webDiplomacy Forum Rules.
THC

PBEM Schizodiplomacy Game: Interested?

#1 Post by THC » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:08 pm

I'm looking to run a PBEM (Play by Email) game of Schizodiplomacy. If you're interested, post below. I'll also answer any questions below.

Rules for Schizodiplomacy
I'm basing this game on Schizodiplomacy II but I'm also modifying the game. Here are the basic rules:
  • 0. Unless stated below, rules are for standard Diplomacy.

1. The game will be played on the standard Diplomacy board.

2. Each season, following the Retreats phase, the GM will carry out the following actions, in the order specified:
    (a) One space will be chosen at random to become impassable, being designated a black hole; this may be a land space or a sea space.
    - Any unit in the space will be disbanded (removed from the board). Units disbanded can be rebuilt in the Winter phase following normal rules.
    - If the space is an SC, that status will be lost.

(b) From Spring 1905 onwards, one black hole space will be chosen at random to revert to its former status.
    - If the space was previously an SC, that status will be reimplemented.
    - If the space was previously a home SC, it will become a home SC again.
    - If the space was previously a neutral SC at the start of the game, it will become a neutral SC again, regardless of whether it was owned by any power at the time it became a black hole.

(c) One non-black hole space will be drawn at random to be split into two spaces. The border dividing the split space will be formed by drawing a line linking two neighbouring spaces chosen at random.
    - If the space is an SC, both spaces will be SCs.
    - If the space was a home SC, both spaces will be home SCs.
    - If the space is owned by a power, that power will own both spaces.
    - If the space is occupied by a unit, a unit of the same type will be built in the new space immediately.

3. Along with normal Spring 1901 orders only a player may nominate one home SC to be exempt from becoming a black hole.
    (a) Should the nominated space be split, only one part of the space will be exempted.

4. A player will be deemed to have won the game if she owns the majority of SCs on the board at any one time. As the number of SCs will vary as the game progresses, no fixed number of SCs can be given.

House Rules
I'll update this and publish a full list of House Rules if/when I have enough interest to run the game but I'm publishing the following now going to give you enough info to decide if you want to play.

1. DEADLINES
The game will be a PBEM (Play by Email) game. Orders will be sent to the GM by email and adjudications published by email.
  • (a) Each phase will have a six day deadline. Final orders will need to be received by a Saturday and adjudications will be published on the next day. This is simply because I can only guarantee to have the time to work on the game on a weekend.
    - The 'Saturday' deadline will be taken to mean: orders must be received by me no later than Sunday at 7am BST.

(b) Players may send multiple sets of MOVEMENT orders but the last set of orders received will be taken as final. Players must include orders for all units - the GM will not use partial lists and be asked to refer to earlier lists; any units not ordered in the list the GM takes as final will be judged to hold.

(c) Players may only send one set of RETREAT and ADJUSTMENT orders.

(d) If any player has not submitted MOVEMENT orders by the deadline, she will be judged to have NMRed. If orders are received subsequently, before the adjudication has been issued, the NMR will stand but the player will avoid having a warning issued or be removed from the game.
    - If any player has not submitted MOVEMENT orders prior to the adjudication being published, she will be issued with a warning. A second offence will result in removal from the game.
    - If orders are not received in a RETREAT or ADJUSTMENT phase the GM will record the NMR but no warning will be issued.

(e) Deadlines can be extended if:
    - A player withdraws or is removed from the game in a MOVEMENT phase. In this case, the deadline will be carried over by one extra weekend. The GM will attempt to find a replacement. In a RETREAT or ADJUSTMENT phase the deadline will not be extended and, if no replacement is found the power will continue in CD until a replacement can be put in place.
    - An adjudication is challenged. A player should challenge the GM immediately and the challenge be received no later than Tuesday 7am BST in the week following the published adjudication. If the GM needs to readjudicate the deadline will be extended; if no readjudication is required, the deadline will not be extended.
    - A player requests the game be suspended. The GM will suspend the game for no more than two weeks. A player may only request one period of suspension.

adityapgupta211

Re: PBEM Schizodiplomacy Game: Interested?

#2 Post by adityapgupta211 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:25 pm

I am interested.

My reliability rating is super low. Would I still be able to join the game and play?

Where would I put my email? Also, who will end up with my email?

Will there be messaging between countries?

Great job with the rules.

THC

Re: PBEM Schizodiplomacy Game: Interested?

#3 Post by THC » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm

adityapgupta211 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:25 pm
I am interested.
Great. Keep watching.
adityapgupta211 wrote:
My reliability rating is super low. Would I still be able to join the game and play?
I'm tempted to say: "You tell me," but I won't. I'm not interested, really, in what your reliability is on the site, just whether you're going to be able to put orders in regularly. The deadline length is, effectively, a week, so..?
adityapgupta211 wrote:
Where would I put my email? Also, who will end up with my email?
When I'm ready to go, I'll post an email for players to contact me on. I've created an email to GM the game only. You could create a distinct email for yourself for the game, if you didn't want a personal email to be used.
adityapgupta211 wrote:
Will there be messaging between countries?
Indeed there will. So everyone in the game will be given your email and a pseudonym you want using as your ID or (in PBEM terms) dateline. You'll also be able to send Press, although I'm restricting this to Grey Press, so any messages you want to send to everyone (published as part of the adjudications) that you want to be known come from you (using your dateline) or anonymously (using any pseudonym you want other than reserved datelines). I'll post more info on that by updating the OP above when I post the full House Rules.
adityapgupta211 wrote:
Great job with the rules.
I can't take any credit for the rules of the game, I've only tweaked them slightly. The House Rules will be based on the set I use when GMing - there not fully posted here yet.

This brings me up to two players so far. Mysterious, huh?