What stops a unit from supporting another?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
montalvo
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

What stops a unit from supporting another?

#1 Post by montalvo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this question has come up in the past, but I really can't get my head around what makes a unit support another. This has led to some awkward moves in the current game I'm in. For example, I don't understand why the following outcome took place in Greece (I'm Turkey):

https://i.imgur.com/kOkAmbC.png

Austria had a fleet in the Ionian sea, which I was able to successfully attack with my fleets in the Aegean and the Eastern Mediterranean. I would have assumed that this attack would have then negated the Austrian fleet's attack on Greece, which would have then been able to support my Bulgarian army's move into Serbia. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Is there a general rule of thumb for how support moves are cut? Getting my head around these 'chain reactions' is proving to be quite difficult, and makes it hard to determine what moves I should make based on what I predict will happen in the next turn! Thanks in advance.

eturnage
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: What stops a unit from supporting another?

#2 Post by eturnage » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:03 pm

It doesn't matter if the attacking unit is ultimately dislodged, it still cuts support.

It also looks like maybe you ordered A Rumania to move because your support from Black Sea failed. You can only support a unit that is not ordered to move.

Are you allowed to post questions about the game you're in presently? Is it anonymous?

eturnage
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#3 Post by eturnage » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Run through the exercises http://uk.diplom.org/pouch/Zine/W1995A/Tactics/ and you'll be a better tactician. If you master these tactics, you'll be better than about 2/3 of this site.

montalvo
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by montalvo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:09 pm

eturnage wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:03 pm
Are you allowed to post questions about the game you're in presently? Is it anonymous?
It's an anonymous game, yeah. Am I not allowed to post questions about it if that is the case? If so, I'll delete this post or remove my screenshot link, sorry!

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:46 pm

It doesn't matter whether it's anonymous. If it's a Gunboat though, you're not allowed to discuss it publically.

montalvo
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#6 Post by montalvo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I'm not even sure what a Gunboat is, so I hopefully I haven't unwittingly stumbled into one without knowing! It is anonymous but we are allowed to talk to each other during most phases.

Claesar

#7 Post by Claesar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:59 pm

montalvo wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:48 pm
Thanks for the heads up! I'm not even sure what a Gunboat is, so I hopefully I haven't unwittingly stumbled into one without knowing! It is anonymous but we are allowed to talk to each other during most phases.
Anything that says "No in-game messaging" is a Gunboat. Technical term..

So you're fine, carry on :-)