Cutting Support

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Generic

Cutting Support

#1 Post by Generic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 pm

So, I've been playing for a while, and it seems like either there are errors in the code, or patches or something. But I thought that if you had a unit supporting a move (let's say Silesia supporting Tyrolia to Munich), that if someone hit Silesia, it could not support. But in order to counter that, if you had Galicia support hold Silesia, that the latter would still be able to support the move.

Lately I have seen that work, but then I have seen units without their hold being supported still successfully support a move, and now, my own unit's support was cut off, despite being hit by an unsupported move and being support held by another. It cost me an SC, so I'm trying to figure out if this is just a glitch or me misunderstanding the rules.

2ndWhiteLine
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

Re: Cutting Support

#2 Post by 2ndWhiteLine » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Any unit issuing a support order that is attacked by another unit automatically cuts the support. Providing support to that supporting unit does not preserve that unit's support order.

For example:

German F Den s A Kiel
German A Kiel s A Mun
German A Mun hold

Russian A Berlin - Kiel
Russian A Silesia s A Bohemia - Munich
Russian A Bohemia - Munich

By moving A Ber to Kiel, the support hold on Munich is cut even though Denmark is supporting Kiel. That's because supporting a support hold does nothing other than prevent the dislodgement of that unit.

David E. Cohen

#3 Post by David E. Cohen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 am

The general rule is that an attack on any unit offering support from a province other than the target province to which that unit is offering support will cut the support whether the attack is successful or not. An attack on the unit offering support from that target province must be successful for the support to be cut.

To illustrate:

1. Austria: A Ser-Gre, F Alb-Supports A Ser-Gre
Italy: F Gre-Alb
Turkey: A Bul-Gre
The support of F Alb is not cut, A Ser-Gre succeeds 2v1v1, F Gre is dislodged.

2. Austria: A Ser-Gre, F Alb-Supports A Ser-Gre
Italy: F Gre-Alb, F Adr-Supports F Gre-Alb
Turkey: A Bul-Gre
The support of F Alb is cut since the attack from Gre is successful 2v1, F Alb is dislodged, A Ser-Gre fails 1v1.

Generic

#4 Post by Generic » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 am

Okay cool. I don't know why I was seeing units not having their support cut for a while there. Having it suddenly work the way I thought it did originally (aka, what you two described), caught me off guard after several instances of what I remembered as a support hold preventing support being cut. Is it possible that I was just seeing glitches or something?

Mercy

#5 Post by Mercy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 am

Generic wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 am
Is it possible that I was just seeing glitches or something?
No, you were not seeing glitches. 2ndWhiteLine just didn't tell the full story in his post, for in some instances, an attack does not cut a support. David E. Cohen is correct. The rule is as follows: If A orders a supported attack on B, then any attack on A will cut that support, EXCEPT an attack from B to A that does not dislodge A.

Claesar

#6 Post by Claesar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:44 am

I'm very sure the above posters are correct. However, feel free to point us to any game where you think something went wrong. Email [email protected] if it's an ongoing Gunboat.