Why are Some User's Points in Play Negative?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
ChippeRock

Why are Some User's Points in Play Negative?

#1 Post by ChippeRock » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:53 pm

So my understanding of the points system is as follows:
  • Available points are the amount of points currently not being used in non-anonymous and anonymous games. This number doesn't change no matter who's view it.
  • Points in play is the amount of points currently being played in non-anonymous and anonymous games. Points in anonymous games will not display in this category if someone other than the user views the user's profile.
  • Total points are the total amount of points that are currently not being used in any games and are currently in unfinished non-anonymous and anonymous games. This represents the actual number of points a player would have if all of his games were canceled and his bets returned to him. This number doesn't change no matter who's viewing it.
So, now to my question: Why are some users Points in play negative? For example, some users Points in play is listed as -1 or -5 or even lower. I am mystified by this and the only thing I can attribute it is to some kind of glitch...

ChippeRock

Re: Why are Some User's Points in Play Negative?

#2 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:11 am

Huh, no response... I would have thought at least a Mod would read this post and know the answer...

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:40 am

I can help with half of that.

ChippeRock

#4 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:55 am

Claesar wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:40 am
I can help with half of that.
Can you contact a fellow mod that might know the answer?

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#5 Post by flash2015 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:27 pm

ChippeRock wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:53 pm
So my understanding of the points system is as follows:
  • Available points are the amount of points currently not being used in non-anonymous and anonymous games. This number doesn't change no matter who's view it.
  • Points in play is the amount of points currently being played in non-anonymous and anonymous games. Points in anonymous games will not display in this category if someone other than the user views the user's profile.
  • Total points are the total amount of points that are currently not being used in any games and are currently in unfinished non-anonymous and anonymous games. This represents the actual number of points a player would have if all of his games were canceled and his bets returned to him. This number doesn't change no matter who's viewing it.
So, now to my question: Why are some users Points in play negative? For example, some users Points in play is listed as -1 or -5 or even lower. I am mystified by this and the only thing I can attribute it is to some kind of glitch...
This was how I understood the points were calculated:

http://www.askamathematician.com/wp-con ... _small.jpg

Valis2501
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by Valis2501 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 pm

1) Be eliminated in a game that has not yet finished (let's say you bet 10 points)

2) Go back up to 100 points because of webDip communism

3) Spend all those 100 points on ongoing games

4) Site things you have 100 points - 110 points in play

5) ???

6) Profit

ChippeRock

#7 Post by ChippeRock » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Valis2501 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:15 pm
1) Be eliminated in a game that has not yet finished (let's say you bet 10 points)

2) Go back up to 100 points because of webDip communism

3) Spend all those 100 points on ongoing games

4) Site things you have 100 points - 110 points in play

5) ???

6) Profit
Okay, that makes sense. But what about the people who have 1000+ points? I've seen users with that many points and negative points in play and I'm relatively confident in saying that not all of their points are in games...

Or have I misunderstood your answer as an answer for why some user's points in play are negative?

ghug
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#8 Post by ghug » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:26 pm

It's a bug related to the handling of eliminations in anonymous games. I don't remember the exact behavior, but that's the gist of it.