Clarifications about supports

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
X3rxes

Clarifications about supports

#1 Post by X3rxes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Hey so I was wondering what supporting would do in a few situations since I'm a relatively new in number of games:
1.If I support a unit from behind that is supporting another unit would it prevent cutting of support if attacked by only one unit, or cut the support
2.If supporting a unit that is supporting another movement, if the "middle" one is attacked by one unit being supported by another, would just the support be cut and it be treated as if it's holding, or would it get dislodged due to it not actually be actively in the direct hold position
3.Do these carry on the same up and up as unit numbers increase

Sorry if this is something that's talked about elsewhere, but I'm having difficulty finding answers to situations like that.

Jamiet99uk

Re: Clarifications about supports

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 pm

1. What do you mean by "from behind"?

2. Only the support would be cut. The unit in question would only be dislodged if there was a supported attack on it.

3. In terms of the answer to (2), yes.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#3 Post by Tom Bombadil » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:09 pm

1) If a supporting unit is attacked by another unit, its support it cut (regardless of how many units it has support holding it). For example, if I use Munich to support Kiel to Berlin, and I use Burgundy to support hold Munich, the support is cut regardless if any unit moves into Munich. Support holds keep a unit from being dislodged as easily, but do not help in making sure a support order succeeds.

2) It would not be dislodged. You can support hold a unit that is supporting another unit. Continuing the example above, if Burgundy support holds Munich (and Munich is supporting Kiel to Berlin), it would take 3 units to dislodge Munich.

Both answers follow the rules that it only takes one unit to cut support regardless of how strongly that unit is supported. You can support hold any unit that is not moving and the support hold will make it more difficult for that unit to be dislodged - though not more difficult to cut its support.

Szpoti
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by Szpoti » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:01 pm

The rule of the thumb: support of any kind provided by a unit under attack is cut.

One, quite counterintuitive, rule: a unit, which is cutting support of a unit, cuts it successfully even if it gets dislodged.

X3rxes

#5 Post by X3rxes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you all!

X3rxes

#6 Post by X3rxes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:12 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 pm
1. What do you mean by "from behind"?

2. Only the support would be cut. The unit in question would only be dislodged if there was a supported attack on it.

3. In terms of the answer to (2), yes.
Sorry by from behind I meant like as in they're not directly on the front line, but instead behind the unit that's being questioned about. I could've worded that better.