Confusion re: supply centers

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
GrandMoffWatson

Confusion re: supply centers

#1 Post by GrandMoffWatson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:09 am

Hi everyone,

There's something regarding the rules of supply centers that is not quite clear for me. Take for example Iran in the Modern Diplomacy variant. I'm involved in a game in which Turkey had occupied Iran and then subsequently left it. I thought that if one vacated a supply center outside of their "home territory" they would lose the "credit" for it during the next build phase. In the game I am in, although they left Iran, they were still credited for the supply center.

Can anyone explain to me how the rule works? Thank you in advance for your time.

GMW

naked

Re: Confusion re: supply centers

#2 Post by naked » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:54 am

if you control a supply center at the end of a year you gain control of it (if you dont already have control). you only loose control of this supply center if someone else controls it at the end of another year.

GrandMoffWatson

#3 Post by GrandMoffWatson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:15 pm

Thank you so much for your quick reply. One more question if you don't mind. Does that rule differ at all from the standard board game rule?

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:22 pm

No, it does not! Exactly the same.

GrandMoffWatson

#5 Post by GrandMoffWatson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:24 pm

So theoretically, you can control a supply center outside of your home terrirory, even if you don't have any armies in it.

Sorry, I can be thick headed.... :?

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by Tom Bombadil » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:31 pm

That is correct.

If you have a unit on a territory at the end of the year (after Autumn retreats), you gain control of that territory. You can then freely move that unit out. The only way you lose control of that territory is if another player has a unit in it at the end of a subsequent year.

GrandMoffWatson

#7 Post by GrandMoffWatson » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it.