Did I do something wrong?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
whackamapob

Did I do something wrong?

#1 Post by whackamapob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:32 pm

I am participating in a classic game that has a recommendation that you have less than 150 points before joining. I do in fact have more than that but my friend, joining diplomacy for the first time, was joining a real game and I wanted to be a part of the experience. Furthermore, I don't consider myself skilled at diplomacy and am still fairly new to the game. I've gotten my points through numerous draws and a vast majority of my wins are in 1v1 games, meaning no points from those, most of which are again with this newly introduced friend. I feel out-of-place at the game, and I'm wondering if I should remove myself. Should I stay? Did I do something wrong?

Fluminator

Re: Did I do something wrong?

#2 Post by Fluminator » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Yeah....
You done messed up
Only God can forgive you now

whackamapob

#3 Post by whackamapob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:49 pm

I should leave then...

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#4 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:52 pm

Fluminator's joking aside, you should be fine. Point values don't really equate to experience level in a lot of cases, and ~200 isn't much more than 150.

Minister of Silly Walks

#5 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Is the "out-of-place" feeling there because you think other players there are notably less experienced, or because of not fulfilling the point recommendation, or something else?
Six classic games isn't that much, though I have seven finished and seventeen ongoing and I started noticing that some people have even less skills than I do.
I think dropping out of the game would be a lot less polite than staying there, unless you intentionally joined a public game together with a friend.

whackamapob

#6 Post by whackamapob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:06 pm

Well, out of place mostly arises from my general feeling of confusion if I infringed upon an unspoken rule. Nothing necessarily from what the other players have done.

I did join a public anon game intentionally with a friend, but I'm not letting that sway the outcome or resolving an unbreakable alliance between us. Definitely a mistake I'm avoiding in the future because I realize now that is unprofessional in general... but is that reason enough to bow out?

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

#7 Post by RoganJosh » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:10 pm

whackamapob wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:06 pm
I did join a public anon game intentionally with a friend, but I'm not letting that sway the outcome or resolving an unbreakable alliance between us.
A blatant breach of site rules.

whackamapob

#8 Post by whackamapob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Thank you. Ah, I'll leave immediately....

whackamapob

#9 Post by whackamapob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Could someone please tell me how?

I'm extremely upset with myself...

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#10 Post by Chaqa » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:19 pm

whackamapob wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:14 pm
Could someone please tell me how?

I'm extremely upset with myself...
Please send an email to [email protected] with the game in question.

whackamapob

#11 Post by whackamapob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Thank you! Did so immediately

cdngooner
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#12 Post by cdngooner » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:33 pm

I don't think you did anything wrong in joining a game for novices when you are more experienced. Your point level is open information and everyone can protect themselves accordingly.

You may have run afoul by joining a game with your friend, if your off-game relationship with that person was not disclosed to everyone in the game. THAT is a serious transgression, in my mind. However, if you disclosed it, no problem with that either.

whackamapob

#13 Post by whackamapob » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:35 pm

I do have a question though for any still reading about my ever tumultuous mistakes, as I failed to disclose it. However, I did reach out to mods as soon as I realized so I could leave the game. Will my account be banned because of this? I completely understand why that may be so, but I'm praying potentially not. Please be completely honest, I did screw up...

Minister of Silly Walks

#14 Post by Minister of Silly Walks » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Joining a game with a friend is hardly so serious an offense to result in a ban. Besides, if neither of you used this to you own advantage, replacing one of you should do the trick, I saw such a resolution of a similar case in one of my games.

I was once contacted about my account "having very strong connections to other accounts on our site. It seems these accounts have a strong likelihood of being owned and operated by the same individual or by close real-life friends", because there is a totally different user with the name "The Minister of Silly Walks". I don't think there is anything worse than multi-accounting there, but it was still promised that the punishment would be less harsh if a confession was made (I didn't have a chance to check it, though, because this was just a coincidence and not an offense).

Claesar

#15 Post by Claesar » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:13 pm

cdngooner wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:33 pm
... However, if you disclosed it, no problem with that either.
Except that it would still be against our rules. Don't play public games with friends.