Civil Disorder Questions

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
gnuvag

Civil Disorder Questions

#1 Post by gnuvag » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I have a reasonable understanding of how civil disorder works, but I'd like some things clarifying please.

When someone takes over a country in civil disorder, can they read all the messages that were previously sent and received by that country, or only after the time they joined? Are there any conventions about how a new player should be treated in the game, or with the game strategy?

If no-one takes over the position, do all units just hold? Are there any conventions that apply here (e.g. the other players in the game agreeing on a course of action)? Or are the supply centres all fair game for everyone?

I understand that a player who takes over a position will not have to pay any credits, but will get a share of them if he draws or wins, is that right? But a loss, draw or win would show on his stats? So aside from altruism, what's the incentive for taking over a poor position?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Yonni
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Re: Civil Disorder Questions

#2 Post by Yonni » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:21 pm

-They can read all the messages

-No conventions for new players. Sometimes I like to keep it paused for a bit or get a phase extension so that they have time to get up to speed.

-CDs suck. I normally like to cancel or just immediately draw if I can't get a replacement but it's up the board.

-No idea about webdiplomacy points. But also nobody really cares about them. There's a rating system called Ghost Rating (or GR) that people care about. Not sure how taking over CDs work for them.

gnuvag

#3 Post by gnuvag » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Thanks, very helpful!

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:27 am

gnuvag wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:08 pm

I understand that a player who takes over a position will not have to pay any credits, but will get a share of them if he draws or wins, is that right? But a loss, draw or win would show on his stats? So aside from altruism, what's the incentive for taking over a poor position?
Replacements share in the Draw (if they can make it), so that's a large incentive! A lot of people take over CDs for altruistic reasons though. The world isn't doomed yet.