How does Russia fail to take the Black Sea here?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
Swash

How does Russia fail to take the Black Sea here?

#1 Post by Swash » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi, playing in my first online Diplomacy game and I can't figure out how this particular move failed. Here are screenshots of the map before the orders, the orders, and then the map after the orders: https://imgur.com/a/o9v67bN

As I understand it, Austria dislodges Turkey's army in Bulgaria, so Bulgaria support move from Black Sea to Rumania is cut. That leaves the two-to-one of Rumania to Black Sea (with support from Sevastopol).

Please let me know if you see something I don't - I can't figure it out!

PiC

Re: How does Russia fail to take the Black Sea here?

#2 Post by PiC » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:51 pm

It looks like Sevastopol supported the Black Sea to Rumania based on the support arrow. I am pretty sure you cannot support an attack that dislodges your own unit but I might be wrong.

mhsmith0

#3 Post by mhsmith0 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:02 pm

That's exactly correct. Sev support Rum-BLA woudl have succeeed, but Sev supports BLA-Rum was a mis-order and was ignored b/c you can't dislodge own unit.

jay65536

#4 Post by jay65536 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Seems like a good chance OP knows this already, but perhaps worth pointing out is that Bulgaria's support would still have been cut even if it was not dislodged--the attack from Serbia automatically cuts support into any territory except Serbia.