"Open Position" & Game Stats

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
NakedBatman

"Open Position" & Game Stats

#1 Post by NakedBatman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 am

Hi, I wasn't sure where to ask this and didn't see in in the FAQs.

How does joining a game with empty player slots from the "Open Positions" tab affect my player statistics? Does it give me losses and wins still?

I ask because now and then I see Open Games that have a player that just bailed because they are losing. When I'm in those types of games, and someone ditches, it can make someone else still in the game (me or another player) gain an unfair advantage due to no longer being in combat from a front. So, when I see the open positions I would like to join them so that I can make the game fun and still competitive for others. But if it's going to trash my statistics by joining maps with near-certain death, I might reconsider it.

Hopefully, that was clear! Thank you!

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: "Open Position" & Game Stats

#2 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:51 am

They do still count towards your stats. Some people measure themselves based on stats, some on points (takeovers are free), some on ghostrating. If you want to play for stats then I recommend against taking over a position with only 1 or 2 centers. If you play for fun and still find those interesting like many do, then please do take those types of positions over as well.

NakedBatman

#3 Post by NakedBatman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:08 am

Thanks jmo, that's what I figured but was just curious. I'll probably still join them sometimes, that's just that's one negative to consider. Cheers!

Claesar

#4 Post by Claesar » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:13 am

For most players, the important statistic is Ghost Rating. It's like ELO. I was under the impression takeovers do not count for GR. I'll ask Jmo to be sure.