Noob Question, but...

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
BorderLass

Noob Question, but...

#1 Post by BorderLass » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:01 pm

Hello--

This will probably sound like a silly question, but it is my first game and I simply wish to be absolutely clear on this particular mechanic to avoid accidentally stabbing my ally in the back.

For a support move order, it says "the army at [x] support move to [y] from [z]". Now, do you want [z] to be the name of your ally, or your enemy? For example, say it is Spring 1901 and you are Italy allied with Germany against Austria. You are moving to support a German invasion of Vienna; would you want the order to say "support move to Vienna from [German force]" or "to Vienna from [Austrian force]"?

Thank you!

Foxcastle

Re: Noob Question, but...

#2 Post by Foxcastle » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 pm

The orders only refer to the units as they sit in provinces, so you don't need to specify the other power.

A hypothetical order for Italy to make would be: the army at Venice supports move from Tyrolia to Trieste. It doesn't matter who owns the unit in Tyrolia (and there are situations where it can be a good tactical move to support enemy units).

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#3 Post by Squigs44 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:00 pm

In short, you are supporting a move from z to y. Z is your ally, Y is your enemy

BorderLass

#4 Post by BorderLass » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Ah, that makes so much more sense now. Thank you both kindly for your explanations.

--BorderLass