Advice on starting as the UK in Modern?

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
HatchTheEgg

Advice on starting as the UK in Modern?

#1 Post by HatchTheEgg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi all. I just started a game as the UK in the Modern scenario and I'm looking for advice regarding my units. I start at my max number of units with three ships, but I need a land unit to take provinces correct? Should I disband a ship to build a land unit?

HatchTheEgg

Re: Advice on starting as the UK in Modern?

#2 Post by HatchTheEgg » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:51 pm

Correction: four supply points and four ships, I forgot about Gibraltar.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:28 pm

No, ships can take coastal centres just the same.

I don't know anything about the variant map though.

faircell21

#4 Post by faircell21 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:29 pm

For your first turn, you’ll want to get into English Channel and North Sea. Move your Gibraltar fleet to south Atlantic then to Morocco (you’ll probably lose it to Spain anyways. Also, take Ireland. Hopefully you can get something out of the two fleets in the surrounding seas (maybe make an alliance with one of your neighbors) so that you can make armies in your supply centers and convoy them over. Note that modern diplomacy actually has a special feature: you can build units in any open supply center, not just your starting ones. This will be helpful if you can keep supply centers in the mainland open.