CD, and NMRs in private anonymous game

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
dts

CD, and NMRs in private anonymous game

#1 Post by dts » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:20 am

Hello people,

Could you help me understand how Civil Disorder and NMRs behave?

I've started a password-protected anonymous game, 2days/turn, 1 unexcused turn per player.
On the 3rd turn, one player stopped entering orders. The first time we got an extended round with the infamous message "Game was extended due to at least 1 member failing to enter orders and having an excused missed turn available. This has un-readied all orders." We just waited, and when the 24hr passed, the game was extended again.
How is that possible? Shouldn't the player leave the game? Even if two or more player missed saving orders, shouldn't they both lose their unexcused turn? In general, in a game with only 1 unexcused turn per player, is it possible to have two consecutive extended rounds?

After some time, I saw the player marked with "Left" in the player list under the map. I messaged the mods asking if there is way to get another player in it's place, or maybe continue without that player, but before I get a response the player was not marked as "Left" anymore, and he could enter orders as usual.

After that, another player failed to enter orders during the Weekend. I saw that it was marked as "Left" again, although is said "Bet: 5, Worth: 5" next to his username. The night passed and today I can see he's still here, and he says he's able to enter orders.

Is there a possibility that there's a bug with anonymous or password-protected games, where players are not kicked from the game?

Claesar

Re: CD, and NMRs in private anonymous game

#2 Post by Claesar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:44 am

dts wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:20 am
Hello people,

Could you help me understand how Civil Disorder and NMRs behave?

I've started a password-protected anonymous game, 2days/turn, 1 unexcused turn per player.
On the 3rd turn, one player stopped entering orders. The first time we got an extended round with the infamous message "Game was extended due to at least 1 member failing to enter orders and having an excused missed turn available. This has un-readied all orders." We just waited, and when the 24hr passed, the game was extended again.
How is that possible? Shouldn't the player leave the game?
Yes, but if that same player still qualifies for the Reliability Rating requirement, they can rejoin the game in their position and continue.
Even if two or more player missed saving orders, shouldn't they both lose their unexcused turn?
Yes, they do.
In general, in a game with only 1 unexcused turn per player, is it possible to have two consecutive extended rounds?
Yes, as explained.
After some time, I saw the player marked with "Left" in the player list under the map. I messaged the mods asking if there is way to get another player in it's place, or maybe continue without that player, but before I get a response the player was not marked as "Left" anymore, and he could enter orders as usual.
Yes, all those options are possible.
After that, another player failed to enter orders during the Weekend. I saw that it was marked as "Left" again, although is said "Bet: 5, Worth: 5" next to his username. The night passed and today I can see he's still here, and he says he's able to enter orders.

Is there a possibility that there's a bug with anonymous or password-protected games, where players are not kicked from the game?
No, this is not a bug.

If someone is messing up your game repeatedly by rejoining without entering orders, email the mods and we'll look into it.

Mercy

#3 Post by Mercy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:30 am

When a player fails to enter orders, the game gets extended and the player who missed an order will lose 1 excused missed turn. If the player already has 0 unexcused missed turns, the game still gets extended, but the player gets kicked out of the game (it will say 'Left'). When a player is kicked out of the game, anyone (or anyone who meets certain RR requirements) can take over the position, but in a password protected game, they have to enter the passport as well. If the player who is 'Left' returns to the game before anyone takes over, he will be back in the game again.

dts

#4 Post by dts » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 am

Thank you both for the replies.

Mercy, the player will join the game without clicking Join? Does this happen automatically?

Mercy

#5 Post by Mercy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 am

dts wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 am
Mercy, the player will join the game without clicking Join? Does this happen automatically?
As far as I know, yes, that happens automatically.

Claesar

#6 Post by Claesar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:39 am

Yes, when they open the game they will rejoin automatically.

dts

#7 Post by dts » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:12 pm

This explains the strange behavior, but we all found it very confusing.

Should I create an issue in Github, or is this by design?

Claesar

#8 Post by Claesar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Feel free to, but this is all by design.