Game event notifications

New players can go here for helpful advice and to sign up for our mentor program, or if you're a veteran help answer questions.
Forum rules
This is an area for new members or members looking for help with the site or Diplomacy. Off topic threads and replies will be moved to the appropriate category.
DiploJim

Game event notifications

#1 Post by DiploJim » Mon May 20, 2019 9:15 pm

Is there a setting that will allow the game to send me notifications or emails when I receive a new message, game event or other game-related activity? I've looked through profile settings and I can't find any such setting and I can't imagine that the game is requiring me to keep connected to it 24/7 to watch what's going on

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Re: Game event notifications

#2 Post by Squigs44 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 pm

DiploJim wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:15 pm
Is there a setting that will allow the game to send me notifications or emails when I receive a new message, game event or other game-related activity? I've looked through profile settings and I can't find any such setting and I can't imagine that the game is requiring me to keep connected to it 24/7 to watch what's going on
With such a large player base and Webdiplomacy being a free website, it really is not feasible to provide an email notification service. Notifications are posted on the main home screen, and a banner with unread messages and incomplete orders is at the top of every page. It is not required for you to be connected 24/7, but it is expected that you will check in at least once a phase to input orders, and preferably multiple times a phase if you are exchanging press.

Peregrine Falcon
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

#3 Post by Peregrine Falcon » Tue May 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Even if email notifications are impossible, what about browser or push notifications? I imagine it would still require similar large server resources, but maybe it's more feasible than an expansive email server?

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#4 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Peregrine Falcon wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:28 pm
Even if email notifications are impossible, what about browser or push notifications? I imagine it would still require similar large server resources, but maybe it's more feasible than an expansive email server?
From a coding standpoint sending email messages (for some scenario's) isn't too difficult. It's just the cost holding us back. Push notifications on the other hand are significantly more difficult from a code standpoint and not something I plan on attempting at any point since doing them for mobile would be nearly impossible.

FlaviusAetius

#5 Post by FlaviusAetius » Wed May 22, 2019 3:33 am

To be honest, I think both are pretty useless and unneeded, the website alerts you fine enough.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by flash2015 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:10 pm

There is another option for game notifications. Give people an option of linking their discord account to their webdip account...then webdip sends direct messages to users over discord. If the user has the discord app on their phone they get the notifications. What do you think?

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by flash2015 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:16 pm

captainmeme

#8 Post by captainmeme » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm

flash2015 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:10 pm
There is another option for game notifications. Give people an option of linking their discord account to their webdip account...then webdip sends direct messages to users over discord. If the user has the discord app on their phone they get the notifications. What do you think?
I actually use something similar to this for vDip - Oli set up an RSS feed and I used a bot to have it ping me with notifications on Discord. As far as I know, though, it only works for things you'd get a notification for on the main page - so turn progression and PMs.

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#9 Post by flash2015 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm

flash2015
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#10 Post by flash2015 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:42 pm

captainmeme wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:18 pm
flash2015 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:10 pm
I actually use something similar to this for vDip - Oli set up an RSS feed and I used a bot to have it ping me with notifications on Discord. As far as I know, though, it only works for things you'd get a notification for on the main page - so turn progression and PMs.
Even that would be a huge help. e.g. Notifications like "Game adjudicated: <name>, url: <url>. Latest adjudication for next move: <date>" or "Game adjudicated. You have no move to make this turn. Name: <name>, Url: <url>" or "Move saved for game <name>" or "Move submitted for game <name>". You could check via notifications if you were ready or not with your games.

Not asking for anyone to do anything here of course as I know so much work has been going on in other areas and everyone is working for free. Just asking if webdip wanted to do notifications, would this be a reasonable way to do it.

Squigs44
Developer
Developer

#11 Post by Squigs44 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:35 pm

I haven't looked at this in depth, but it sounds easier to implement since it would be uniform. Maybe after the three other projects I'm trying to work on I'll look into this.

Bryandrewilson

#12 Post by Bryandrewilson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:27 am

After using this site for 2 days I wanted notifications too! I made a bot where you input some of your game and player information and it will send text alerts at time intervals you pick to players that still need to submit moves.

You can download it here and I think it should just work if you run the .exe file! You might have to have python downloaded though. Not sure.

[removed] -jmo1121109

Full disclosure, I'm not a professional programmer or anything and this is my first time making a bot/program like this so there may be bugs/glitches abound, but I've been trialing it for a few weeks now and it seems to work well enough! (At least for the game I'm in). The only main downside is it has to be open and running on your computer all the time. Should you choose to use it and have any trouble or bugs let me know and I can do my best to fix them!

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#13 Post by jmo1121109 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:28 am

Hey Bryandrewilson,

Thanks for posting this, I've removed the link for now since having people download un-checked exe's is a great way to get viruses. If you're willing to make your code available for people to see on github or something we'd be happy to let you post it!

Thanks,
WebDip Dev